Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Sorry!

No need to apologize. No one seems to know the backspace or offset of stock Thing wheels. I have looked at countless threads here and other sites.

Mine came with narrow 15" wheels although they look stock. I found a set of stock Thing wheels that could use some cleaning and a fresh coat of paint, but now I'm shying away from getting those as I am leaning towards getting disk brakes someday.

GI Joe wrote:
FYI, my wheel are 15x5.5, "Mengel" brand . Cheap, stock design with chrome! I have the CPI 1 wide five disc brakes up front and have No issues with clearance. I didn't have to adjust anything with the steering either. Don't recall my tire size, it's in my build thread somewhere! Lol Patience my friend, I will check Our Thing when I get home on weds....

I don't know the brand name, but I am leaning towards chrome 15x5.5 chrome wheels from one of the typical vendors. I was hoping to formulate an answer so I could order the wheels and tires while my Thing was still at the shop. It now looks like I will be getting it back soon (that's not a bad thing), so patience is now much easier.

I will find your build thread when I get home.

I guess I was spoiled when doing my Super. Sports wheels had their offset stamped right on the wheel so you could tell if it was from a late Super, early Super, a 914, a Sports Bug, whatever ... and TopLine knew what worked and what didn't work with different widths, diameters, offsets and tire sizes without needing wider fenders.

Thanks!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock backspacing has been mentioned many times, it's 4 3/8". K-mann just showed it to you. And I think you will find the offset on the rim too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The stock backspacing has been mentioned many times, it's 4 3/8". K-mann just showed it to you. And I think you will find the offset on the rim too.

Shit! Embarassed

When I read, "Sometimes this data is helpful to understand wheel spacing," and saw the diagram explaining the differences between offset and backspacing -- similar to what I provided at GermanLook and other sites wanting to know how I did the BBS wheels on my Super -- I didn't even bother to look it over to see that there might be info in there specific to my inquiry.

Now, I have a perfect starting point ... and I hope that's going to be my dumbest error moving forward. The next one may cost me more than just my dignity.

Shit! Embarassed

Thanks for pointing it out. Wink
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I posted earlier, but it didn't take...
Anyway,
My aftermarket 15x5.5 chromed steelies have a 3.75" backspace.
Hope it helps!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. I have all of the previous info now in my file, and your confirmation helps. That will be the route I will go when I get it back this week (fingers crossed).

Thanks everyone!
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when buying aftermarket jackman type wheels (15 inch)new or used,what versions regarding offset will fit your thing in the front and rear with no issues so you can buy with confidence?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
when buying aftermarket jackman type wheels (15 inch)new or used,what versions regarding offset will fit your thing in the front and rear with no issues so you can buy with confidence?

That all depends on tire size(height/width) and wheel width....
Look through this thread and you will get ideas on what wheel/tire sizes work!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen references to Jackman "style" wheels and faux Jackman wheels, but I haven't seen any mention of what sizes including offsets or backspacing that are associated with with any of these or the genuine article. If you see a specific ad, maybe the seller can give you some measurements.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading the various attached threads here. Very interesting read,no doubt,many thanks to all those who contribute good info! I was looking at cip1 online tonight.It got me thinking,how can I know for sure what wheel with what size backspace will fit front or rears? They have various wheels in 15 inch. All wheels have different back spacing,examples:back spacing 2 inches,3,3.25,and 3.5 inches of back space. Tire sizes in this thread are seemingly limited.When buying new or used,what works without the worry?When dealing with some of these guys on the phone,I have found in most cases the sales person really has no clue about their products.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the advantage of asking questions and doing business with hands-on VW Thing folks. When I first went from being a life-long air cooled VW nut to a VW Thing nut about 15 years ago, I made plans and bought parts for my Thing that were not quite right for my intended outcome. I was doing lots of buy it, try it, remove it, clean it up and sell it and so on. I actually got into buying and selling Thing stuff as a way to get my Thing(s) built to match my intended vision. Most part sellers have little knowledge of the parts or the car. Accurate tech support comes from folks wearing a greasy t shirt with with bandaged fingers, blackened fingernails and sore elbows not nice ironed button-up-the-front white shirts and polished loafers talking from a nice leather desk chair on their blue tooth.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
...with bandaged fingers,...

And by bandaged, you mean a shop rag wrapped tightly around the finger to slow the flow of blood dribbling down your arm or dripping onto your face while you finish the task, or the more long term solution of the duct tape wrapped around... For those longer lasting projects! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using a greasy strip torn off the sleeve edge of my t shirt held on with a tie wrap. Until recently, I thought that the single purpose of bandage was to keep blood from staining the trim on the rare hard-to-find part you were installing. Who knew? Laughing
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try this approach; What sized jackman would be best up front? 15x5,or 6? Which would be best for the rear,15x6,7,8,or 10? My thing will shortly be raised up front with three inch raised spindles and one inch raised rear plates. I like the look of the jackmans and hope to use them. Any input is appreciated.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I comment on tire and wheel size I make reference to my own car. I'm running 27x8.5x14 tires with stock wheels, brakes, and ride height. My tires and wheels don't rub. Barely.

With the stock 5x14 rims, the upper trailing arm just clears the inside rim of the wheel. Would 6x15 rims work? Maybe. It depends on the backspace. It also depends on the profile of the wheel.

It would be helpful to be able to compare the width of your beam with the disc brakes to a stock beam with drums. Most disc brake kits widen the track somewhat, which means you would want more backspace.

As for the rears, it's not so much the width of the wheel, but the width of the tire that is critical.

With drum brakes, for a 5 inch wheel with 3¾" backspacing, you could probably go as wide as a 225. A 215 would be totally safe.

Of course, raising your car will buy you a lot of wiggle room.

On my car the rim clears the trailing arm by about ¼ inch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Captain Spalding!! That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. Thanks again for taking the time to post that respose! Very Happy
cannibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: wheel size Reply with quote

Was just wondering what the largest rear wheel you can run on a 74 Thing I want to run 19x 8.5Porsche wheel's let me know if you have feed back on this..... Very Happy
RHDthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannibus I'm guessing your gonna lower your thing. I have had a 17x7 on the rear with no issues the front however rubbed on the beam when turning or the inner fenders.
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Sweet wheels Reply with quote

Picked up four of theses babies,

Looking forward to the cleanup and running of them.
No center caps , oh well I'll live.
microCADDY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have this THING

3" narrowed adjustable bug beam, 2.5" drop spindles, 16" FUCH wheels with 205/45 tires

Problem i have is no more them myself can ride in it. The wheel & tire package rub the top of the fenders so much so i have melted the paint off on the outside
The beam is all the way UP as in not lowered at all that way.

I would love to cruise around with the family

While i COULD do away with the drop spindles & then lower it back down to a reasonable ride height this would have worse suspension.

Soooooo I bought a set of 15" Cookie Cutters & now have to figure out what tire to run up front. How she sits now

any suggestions ?
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Tires for stock 14 inch rims Reply with quote

OK, so, I have reviewed this sticky as well as items that have been posted pertaining to tires for stock 14 inch rims.

I have narrowed possible choices for my 1973 Thing to the items below.

BF Goodrich All Terrain 195 / 75 R 14
General Tire Grabber AT-2 27 x 8.5 R 14 LT
Kelly Explorer Plus 195 / 75 R 14

I'm leaning towards the Grabber AT-2. Anyone running these on stock rims?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: