Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Shoes Relined
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Cropsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Brake Shoes Relined Reply with quote

I have a 1950 Standard Split Window Beetle with Cable Brakes. New shoes are impossable to find so I wanted to get mine relined and the drums cut. I had them done by a place in Indiana called ( Brake Materials & Parts ) The people there are super nice and they treat you like you are a million dollar company with a fleet of cars. Email is fine they respond quick.

I had all 4 drums cut, I had all my cable style brake shoes relined, and asked for option #4 where they fit the shoes once relined by altering the brake material that they fit the drums, so they make 100% contact. How many times you take off your drums to see the shoes only make contact in a few places.

They did the job and had my order on it's way back to me in 4 days from the day they recieved them. I sent the drums and shoes to them using the Large priority Boxes at the post office. They all fit into 2 boxes.

They do any kind of brakes. I will never deal with anyone else again. Cool This is their website. www.BrakeMaterialsAndParts.webs.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoes Relined Reply with quote

Bob Cropsey wrote:
I have a 1950 Standard Split Window Beetle with Cable Brakes. New shoes are impossable to find so I wanted to get mine relined and the drums cut. I had them done by a place in Indiana called ( Brake Materials & Parts ) The people there are super nice and they treat you like you are a million dollar company with a fleet of cars. Email is fine they respond quick.

I had all 4 drums cut, I had all my cable style brake shoes relined, and asked for option #4 where they fit the shoes once relined by altering the brake material that they fit the drums, so they make 100% contact. How many times you take off your drums to see the shoes only make contact in a few places.

They did the job and had my order on it's way back to me in 4 days from the day they recieved them. I sent the drums and shoes to them using the Large priority Boxes at the post office. They all fit into 2 boxes.

They do any kind of brakes. I will never deal with anyone else again. Cool This is their website. www.BrakeMaterialsAndParts.webs.com

Good to know Bob. Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome info on brake relining Bob! Can you give us an idea of what to expect that job on all four brakes and drums to cost... ballpark?

Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Cropsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Complete price of Brake Shoe Job Reply with quote

The complete price to have the 4 drums cut and for all 8 shoes relined and matched to the drums plus return shipping was $209. Plus you have to pay to send yours. The cheapest way was to go to the Post Office and get 2 of the big one price priority shipping boxes. I think they were about $16. each to send. I was able to fit 2 drums and 4 shoes in each box.

The brakes feel really nice. They were very good to deal with.
Email: [email protected]

Good Luck and Good Stopping.

Bob Cropsey
www.JerseyClassic.com Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work in a little VW shop in Doraville Georgia and down the street was a brake shop that did the same thing. It was a lot cheaper way back then but it was worth the extra effort.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoes Relined Reply with quote

i had mine done localy for a 51 , i bought nos pads on the samba and this guy cleaned the old shoes n riveted in the new pads for 10 bucks a shoe , i thought was very reasonable , its called

L & M Friction Materials Inc in Riverside CA its just a 1 man shop that has been there for decades , took him almost 2 weeks to complete but i was in no hurry .

he didnt like the steel rivets the pads came with n used his own brass ones , they look SHARP !!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: