Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crash course in auto mechanics in Seattle?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: crash course in auto mechanics in Seattle? Reply with quote

I recently retired and bought my dream car, a 1984 Westy. I will be taking it on a cross country tour in about six weeks, and NorthWesty is rebuilding the engine and replacing absolutely everything (fuel lines!, brakes, radiator, etc.) that they think could go wrong on my trip.
My dad never worked on his own cars, my high school didn't offer auto mechanics, and I was a liberal arts major in college, so I know virtually nothing about cars. I'd like to learn some basics of auto repair: what to look for on the road, what I can realistically replace/repair, etc. I checked into South Seattle Community College, but their classes are geared toward the professional and I don't have that much time. I've searched for online instruction, but haven't found anything great.
Anyone in the Seattle area interested in tutoring a novice about the basics of engine maintenance and repair before I leave on my trip? Or just let me watch over your shoulder while you work on your van? I'll gladly pay and/or bring the beer and munchies. Thanks
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wish we had a "vans and coffee" kind of regular meetup in this area like Portland does. If you have six weeks, I'd say start searching this forum for threads like "what tools should I bring?", because there are a few good ones that give an idea of what spare parts and tools to bring on a long trip (with wildly varying opinions of course.

Then, to self-educate, take a spare part (like a fuel filter) look up on this thread how to replace it and with what tools and then crawl under your van and walk yourself through it. That won't make you into Mr. Wrench overnight, but it's a start.

Hell I started with hesitantly learning to change my own oil, added time, and found myself doing engine swaps.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a lot of questions and dig in. John Muirs Idiot book doesn't cover Vanagons, but it might still be a good book for you to read. Buy tools when you need them verses paying someone else to do a particular job. There are many tools that will pay for themselves in a single use. Lowes house brand gives you a lot of tool for the dollar, I set my daughter up with a really good basic set of tools for her house and car for under $300 mostly from Lowes.
cats_r_cute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Seattle. There really is no way that any shop can get you 100% ready for a long road trip. It is random what will get old suddenly when you are out there. Get used to it. Get the essential auto tools, 2 fan belts, temp 2 sensor, ignition switch, plugs, cap, rotor, tire changing equipment, flashlights, AAA, plus other stuff you can find on other people's lists. My first trip I learned about headlight switch malfunctioning (needing replacement). Once I learned how to add to my propane (go to RV shop on North Aurora ave).. Later I learned about oil pressure warning light and it's relation to oil type and oil cooler (keep the correct oil in ALWAYS. Then I learned about valves ticking loudly, what it means (mine was a broken adjustment screw, not just a sticky valve)..and I sought help from others on this board. Today I swapped out my own starter. It wouldve cost hundreds at a shop. You just have to learn things one at a time. I really like this vehicle because you can learn it. Recently I've been learning from watching You tube. Also by simply asking this board dumb questions. But people here are patient.

Bring the internet with you on your trip. Get a wifi device and a charger. I live in North Seattle but I'm not a mechanic either. Still I could give you help with telling you what I did. Use Private Message.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess start with reading up on Otto cycle engines; then move on to more modern ignition, fuel, emissions systems

can you further describe your current level of knowledge?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are 25 to 30 year old technology, I don't really think automotive school would have helped you much with understanding vanagons.

One thing that would probably benefit you is to learn how to use a multi meter.

With that and the Bentley you could track down a lot of problems.

Most of the time when there's a problem it's not even with the engine, but a sensor or the like. You're just worrying about the unknown. Don't. Just drive and enjoy, and work it out from there.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great you want to get in there and learn about taking care of your van. It's quite an easy vehicle to work on overall, and you're in the right place as far as asking questions and seeking knowledge. Agreed, get some basic tools, pick up a bently,and start doing things yourself. Also consider picking up a Haynes manual too as they are written with the beginner mechanic in mind. But beyond repair manuals it would be wise to seek some basic automotive theory. In fact, this is a great book... it's more of a text/ASE prep book, but does an excellent job explaining theory:

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Fundamentals-Martin-W-S...ndamentals
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Gr8White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a smart phone be sure to download the "Vanagon Rescue Squad" app. That way in case something does happen, you can find the nearest help.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be a smartass, but do you know how to change a flat tire?
If you think you know the process but never have done it, try it at home first just to get your barrings and locate the necessary tools.
Always blows me away by how many drivers don't know this basic skill.

After that try an oil change. Lots of good write-ups you can reference.

Even grabbing a silly little Haynes manual (I'd avoid the Bentley until you learn a bit more) and laying under the van just to locate the components can be educational. Always gotta start somewhere.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
Not trying to be a smartass, but do you know how to change a flat tire?
If you think you know the process but never have done it, try it at home first just to get your barrings and locate the necessary tools.
Always blows me away by how many drivers don't know this basic skill.

After that try an oil change. Lots of good write-ups you can reference.

Even grabbing a silly little Haynes manual (I'd avoid the Bentley until you learn a bit more) and laying under the van just to locate the components can be educational. Always gotta start somewhere.

I would still buy the Bentley. If the owner becomes interested in mechanics he'll need it eventually. Not to mention, it's great to provide to a repair shop if someone whose working on it isn't all that familiar with vanagons. You never know where/when you might break down.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. Truly appreciated. I can change a flat and can check the oil level, but that's about the extent of my experience. (retired physician). I've purchased the Haynes Manual, Auto Fundamentals, and How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive (even tho mine is water cooled). I will read all three cover to cover, starting with Auto Fundamentals.
I see this as a long learning process and am excited to begin. I don't expect to know much in 6 weeks, just enough to spot trouble on my trip if it starts to develop. And hopefully how to change the oil and filter at least!
After the kind support I've received here, I must say the type of person who drives a Vanagon is truly special. Thanks.
p.s. next on my to-do list is to figure out what spare parts for a 30 year old VW to take along that might be difficult to find in a remote location- extra fuel pump, water pump, seals, etc. But that's after I do my homework reading.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
I would still buy the Bentley. If the owner becomes interested in mechanics he'll need it eventually.

At $90 for a book, that's a pretty big if. I'd avoid it because the layout is geared toward folks with auto repair experience. You generally have to know what system is causing the problem before you can refer to Bentely's low level repair details. As the VW shop manual, the Bentley was never intended to give much high level "how a car works" info. Because of this, it can be overwhelming/confusing/frustrating when you are leaning over the engine, in the rain, when the van won't start.

61Scout wrote:

Not to mention, it's great to provide to a repair shop if someone whose working on it isn't all that familiar with vanagons. You never know where/when you might break down.

My comment above notwithstanding, this is actually a great idea. The likelihood of breaking down close to a knowledgeable vanagon mechanic is low, so the mechanic in that small town you inevitably break down in should (hopefully) get the correct info from the Bentley.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
cats_r_cute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a over night trip to Sequim. I do it just to get away from Seattle in my vanagon for 1 night. You take the 10 min Kingston ferry trip from Edmonds and follow the main highway from Kingston. There is a state park and you pay 10-15 bucks for a private spot. Bring your dogs. It's in the woods and puget sound is 50 yards away. Its practice camping. I like to just hang out in my van and test my little battery powered lights, stove top, bedding, pop top, curtain set up, cookware, watch movies on laptop, etc. it's a good way to know what to pack on longer trips. I haul around too much camping gear. You might see u only need this or that. The weather is perfect now. Come back the next day. I swear you will know more about what to expect. Ill help u get your van ready for a trip any time. PM me if u need help. I'm not a mechanic but I owned a westy and I have a tin top now.

Last edited by cats_r_cute on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree zippyslug31, the books can be expensive. Honestly though, a person shouldn't own a classic vehicle without having some disposable income. Having the skills and tools for repair saves tons of money and gives one personal satisfaction, but you'll still be spending thousands in parts alone regardless of whether you're the one actually doing the repairs.

That said, I'm a bargain shopper when it serves me. Here's a decent used Bentley covering all the years for $50 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1991-1987-1988-1989-1...mp;vxp=mtr

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
spacecommander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
I would still buy the Bentley. If the owner becomes interested in mechanics he'll need it eventually. Not to mention, it's great to provide to a repair shop if someone whose working on it isn't all that familiar with vanagons. You never know where/when you might break down.

Ding Ding Ding! That's one very important reason for keeping a Bentley in your Van even if you don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold.

Tom
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A retired physician can certainly learn how to diagnose and repair a car.

You might post your experiences as you go.

I agree with keeping the Bentley manual in the car; read the Dummies Guide to car repair or similar books first, then the Haynes - or just read the Haynes they if you already have it on hand, then reread later.

Peruse the FAQs here for some info on what often comes up as needing repair, and for what tools to carry & spare parts to carry. Like the human body, there are certain things that often fail.

Be sure your rubber fuel hoses are replaced with new, Ethanol barrier type hoses; rubber brake hoses must be replaced with new rubber & tires must be no older than 6 years no matter what mileage is on them. Those are critical safety issues to address.

Stay near cell towers while camping so you can call for help.

Good Luck!
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markscullen wrote:

p.s. next on my to-do list is to figure out what spare parts for a 30 year old VW to take along that might be difficult to find in a remote location- extra fuel pump, water pump, seals, etc. But that's after I do my homework reading.

Just happens that allot of the stuff you may deem necessary is on sale this month at Van Cafe. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_1323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: