Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front trans mount
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: front trans mount Reply with quote

73 Thing, stock. In 3rd and 4th, I notice (with my hand on the shifter) I get noticable play in the shifter when I let off the gas....or re-accelerate. Does NOT jump out of gear...just more movement than I expect. Have replaced the shift bushing, the connector at the rear (Ican't recall what we call it) and the REAR tranny mounts. The front appears OK, but could be original and needing replacement.
Question 1: Does this sound like a replace issue.....will be pulling the engine next month to re-install the missing thermostat...and this seems like a good time to do the front tranny mount.
Question 2: with the engine out can I replace the front tranny mount with the tranny in place???? If so, How??? Thanks Bill
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, sorry to say it, but the tranny has to come out.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B: Tranny completely OUT???....have never done that...can you give me some step by step or advice. Do you think my shift lever movement might or is a function of the front mount??? THANKS bILL
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mention that you have replaced the shift rod bushings, which would have been my first bet for your problem, but before you go tearing the trans out, pop the inspection cover, and check that everything is still as it should be. then if all is good there, you only have two options- bad mounts or the trans itself is due for R&R- either way, it's gotta come out.

once you get the engine out, removing the trans is pretty straightforward. Up top, unbolt the shift rod at the linkage.
Down below, two bolts at the end of the frame horns, cv bolts, trans mount bolts, clutch cable, and then ease it out.

2%
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the car in gear and have someone push it forward and back pretty hard. Watch the front of the transaxle to see if it is going up and down. If it does, your mount is bad. You have described the typical symptoms.

IRS transaxles are a lot easier to change the front mount on.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the front mount by removing the rear tin, loosening the heater cables (on a 74), throttle cable, clutch cable, four front mount nuts, the two big rear mount carrier bolts ,shift coupler and prying it slightly to the rear just far enough to replace the mount. I realize that pulling it isn't much more work, but his one gets a bit lazy at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to admit to cheating. But yes the mount can be changed with some prying.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating? Confused I like any short cut that does no harm and fixes the problem. I expected to read this short cut in the posts above mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His plans are to take the motor out to fix other problems. The only thing that wouldn't have to be unbolted is the CV joints to get the transaxle forward/back enough to change the mount. On an IRS it isn't that big of a deal to take the CV joints apart. Good time to check the boots and grease.

The 2 big bolts that go into the frame to mount the transaxle can be a bitch to get back in if everything else isn't loose.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. E: and Tim : I REALLY don't wnat to completely remove the whole thing..........with the engine out and the front mount bolts/nuts off and the big frame horn bolts out,I feel like I can pry and hump enought to get the old mount out and the new one in.Do I have to take the shocks off? I have not tried the "in gear, hump the car and watch the mount" yet but I will and if that tells me what we all think, then I'll proceed. thanks again, as usual Very Happy Bill ps: sorry I can't spell...I think I've been drinking Laughing
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't need to take the shocks off but you do need to disconnect everything else TimGud mentioned previously.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E: I slid under the car and had my wife bump it and I see no movement at all in the front mount. Perhaps I will just wait and see. Thanks Bill
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to really rock it back and forth. Watch the tailpipe while you do it at the back to see if it goes up and down.

Maybe there is another problem.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the motor is coming out I would pull the trans and replace all the mounts wiht the Urethane type. I would also pull the CVs and clean, regrease and carefully check the CV boots. It takes me under 2 hours to complete pull a trans. When the trans goes back in remember to clearly think which mount goes where in what order. If you want some very comprehensive advise on checking out your trans for troubles go to the Shop Talk Forum under the transaxle forum. the moderator who goes by Henryhoehandle is one of the leading VW transaxle experts around. His name is actually Eric and he has an icredible tranaxle diagnosis and troubleshooting web page. Aslo if you pmail him wiht any question you have he will painstakingly share all he knows and he answers mail very quickly. K-mann
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nearly as I can tell, Shop Talk Forum is dead. Am I wrong?
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Shop Talk Forum is running again. (for now at least.) Some one must have found a defibrillator and brought it back to life for one more round…
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
As long as the motor is coming out I would pull the trans and replace all the mounts wiht the Urethane type. I would also pull the CVs and clean, regrease and carefully check the CV boots. It takes me under 2 hours to complete pull a trans. When the trans goes back in remember to clearly think which mount goes where in what order. If you want some very comprehensive advise on checking out your trans for troubles go to the Shop Talk Forum under the transaxle forum. the moderator who goes by Henryhoehandle is one of the leading VW transaxle experts around. His name is actually Eric and he has an icredible tranaxle diagnosis and troubleshooting web page. Aslo if you pmail him wiht any question you have he will painstakingly share all he knows and he answers mail very quickly. K-mann

have you got a link to his webpage?

2%
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind. found it. i knew i had it bookmarked.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9702/transtalk.html

2%
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon will be pulling engine to put in thermostat and some other work. When we talk about "prying" the transmission back to replace the front mount(thanks Mike Basso)....what does pry mean? Do I need a come-along-rig???or just a long pry bar? Where is safe to pry on the front of the transmission? I will have a helper....I just don't want to lose any fingers...his or mine. Thanks
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front trans mounts rarely go, and from what I've seen aftermarket ones are junk compared to stock. It couldn't hurt looking at it, but I wouldn't replace it until you know for sure the one you have is trash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: