Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle binding up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Swing axle binding up Reply with quote

I have got a strange issue with my original 61 transaxle. I recently had to remove the drivers side axle shaft and replace it due to the splines being torn up. I removed the entire transaxle from the car, unbolted the tube and removed, got the circlip out, removed the shaft and reversed the order and everything went together just right. I spun the axles before installing and everything moved freely. When I put the transaxle back in, bolted it all back up and proceeded to put the backing plate back on, the new axle shaft would spin one complete turn, then bind up and it would take a lot of force (by hand) to get it past the binding point and then it would be free again to spin one more time to that certain point. I re-removed the transaxle and pulled that side apart again to find out that everything was in place and looked good. Put it all back together and everything was spinning freely. When I bolted it up to the car and was, again, ready to put the backing plate on..SAME THING!! I pulled the bearing out and spacer and that isn't the problem because when I try and turn the shaft without the bearing etc...it is binding. Could it be binding since the swing axle shaft is at its lowest point with the car in the air and the shaft has a lot of stress trying to adjust to that severe angle? I hope this rambling makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
2nd67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: pull the tube/axle from the spring plate Reply with quote

elevate it to normal ride height and than try to rotate it and see if the binding is still there. thats better than tearing it apart again and i suspect your hunch is correct. also the pucks/spacers come in different thickness? did you measure the dimension between the pucks and new axle?.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement axle was exactly the same in length and diameter. I will put everything back together and give an update. Thanks for the input.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: