Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator Light
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily.

1). I would put the fan belt on and start car and see if gen light is still on. BTW make sure all connections on the voltage reg and generator are clean and tight.

2). If it is still on, check voltage output from generator while revving engine. You should have around 7.5 volts. If you only have 6 or a bit more that is a problem. Considering that your gen light is still on, that is a distinct possibility. You could also check voltage at battery. Again over 7 volts is what you want.

3). Next step would be to check gen output with voltage regulator disconnected. Do this test for just a few seconds as it is kind of hard on the generator. You should get around 20+ volts. If so, then suspect voltage regulator. I think another poster mentioned about v/r points sticking. Worth checking. You may need a new voltage regulator. The 6 volt v/r's are becoming a little harder to come by and more expensive.

All of these test procedures can be found in the link that I posted above.

The other quick check you can do, and perhaps even before you do steps 2 or 3 is to check the generator brushes. Make sure they protrude well above the holders. Also make sure you have good spring pressure holding the brushes against the armature. You could VERY CAREFULLY using a small wooden stick apply pressure to the brush with the car running. Warning - the bottom brush is awkward to get to. If the light goes out with this test, then brushes and/or springs need attention.

Hope you can get this sorted out. The fact that your generator will "motor" when you polarized it is good though.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying cars and jetpacks I can live without, but when are we going to get our 6V electronic voltage regulators?
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Flying cars and jetpacks I can live without, but when are we going to get our 6V electronic voltage regulators?

Very Happy Yes. I have heard some good things about the 12 volt electronic voltage regulators. Having that in 6 volt would be a nice option.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still hard wire a direct ground circuit from the generator housing ground screw to an engine case bolt to make certain you have an adequate ground.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to me that the generator would have to be grounded from its mounting to the fan housing
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seefest wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:

As an aside . . . do we need to mention the ground strap that goes from your transaxle to the chassis???? If it is not in good order, it can cause all sorts of fun things for you to troubleshoot!!!

He mentions the engine runs,that tells me the starter works,chassis ground strap is OK!!

VERY poor assumption!
The clutch cable will usually be a sufficient ground . . . sometimes . . . intermintantly . . . for a while . . . kinda, sorta!
It can, however, fool you into thinking that the chassis ground strap does not need a cleaning of the connections and tightening of the bolts to assure a good ground! Wink
seefest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
seefest wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:

As an aside . . . do we need to mention the ground strap that goes from your transaxle to the chassis???? If it is not in good order, it can cause all sorts of fun things for you to troubleshoot!!!

He mentions the engine runs,that tells me the starter works,chassis ground strap is OK!!

VERY poor assumption!
The clutch cable will usually be a sufficient ground . . . sometimes . . . intermintantly . . . for a while . . . kinda, sorta!
It can, however, fool you into thinking that the chassis ground strap does not need a cleaning of the connections and tightening of the bolts to assure a good ground! Wink
There will always be a pessimist in the crowd, Crying or Very sad he did what I said to do and it fixed it! Laughing
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought new regulator...problem fixed.

PS - NAPA sells new 6V Voltage regulators for VW's, identical in style to the Bosch units

PN: VR500
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your new voltage regulator have a screw terminal for the generator light wire or is it a spade connector?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller wire (for the indicator light) is a spade

Large (power wire) is screw type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: