Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bump stops
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Bump stops Reply with quote

Greetings. I did a search and looked in the classifieds.

Front bump stops. Are there any differences from 80-91? I recently aquired and installed a complete spring swap from a Carat onto our '85. The bump stops were the same size between the two.

I am under the impression that they may have had more or less rings depending on application. This is due to reading that some rings may have to be cut off when using lowering springs and/or going from factory Westy to Carat.

This is from the '85 and is the same length as what I got as removed from the Carat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe we got commercial models, transporters, so panel vans, single cab and double cab pick ups.
These commercial models had a 5 rib bumpstop.
If you lower one of these you'll need to remove 2 ribs or so to match what you lot got over there, 3 rib bumbstops [as pictured above]
So, so long as you don't go daft then the standard bumpstops will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just using the Carat springs. The Carat bump stops are the same as the ones I took out of the '85. The Vanagon sits 63.5mm lower in front and 25.4mm lower in the rear making it level. The fender lip to center of hub measurement is 406.4mm all around. I'm happy.

My self inflicted confusion came due to me thinking that with the taller '85 springs , there was going to be more ribs.

No worries. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: