Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO23 curtain bungees
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the brown/beige bungees are for SO23s with the yellow and black interiors and the red/white bungees are for red and black interiors. Although mine still has the original bungees, I'd like to find or make some very close replacements. Even though I am a "stock nazi" I'd prefer to have the bungee as close as possible versus the crimps. I wonder if the old crimps can be carefully pried off and reused on new cord.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the brown bungees are just faded red bungees. I have some bungees in my bus that are brown but a few were stored in the cabinet and are like brand new. if you were to take apart the crimps on the brown bungees they would most likely be red underneath.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back side of mine (the part smashed against the wall by the screws, never to see the light of day) is most definitely brown, not red.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Perhaps the brown/beige bungees are for SO23s with the yellow and black interiors and the red/white bungees are for red and black interiors. Although mine still has the original bungees, I'd like to find or make some very close replacements. Even though I am a "stock nazi" I'd prefer to have the bungee as close as possible versus the crimps. I wonder if the old crimps can be carefully pried off and reused on new cord.
my bus has yellow/black interior and has the red/white bungees

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that shoots down my theory about color coordination Confused . Mine are still brown and most definitely not red Smile

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the first test on the bungee crimps. This is 1/4 inch bungee and tubing... I need to move up to the 3/16 sizing to make it more correct.. also need to go to a little thicker walled tubing to form it a little better.. So.. What do you guys think?
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591

Last edited by bubba on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Where did you get the crimp material and what tool did you use?

Thanks.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1464049

Kind of hard to see but your crimps should be a little smaller and the holes go through in order to bite into the bungee so it doesn't slip.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make a MILLION DOLLARS!!! I'm going to make a MILLION DOLLARS!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

All I did was just went to the ACE hardware store, got a peice of brass tubing, I think 5/16 is going to be the correct size i need next time. Also going to use a thicker wall tubing. cut it to length. Crush it into and oval shape, pull the cord threw looped.. then a 1/2 wide chisel to make the line between the cords and then a punch for the dimples.
The 3/16 (4.6mm) bungee on Ebay.. $13 bucks shipped (25ft). I'm going to try to bleach them lighter.. and $7 for the 5/16 brass tube... It isn't hard to do it yourself Fellas!!! Cool Cool Cool I will list a couple sets up for sell for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!! Eh?
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Kind of hard to see but your crimps should be a little smaller and the holes go through in order to bite into the bungee so it doesn't slip.
Not really.. The bungee i used was 1/4 " the 3/16 is coming in tomorrow.. It's the bungee that is to small. But I will figure it out. The one OG bungee i have the holes are only dimples and do not go threw the metal...
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
crofty wrote:

Not really.. The bungee i used was 1/4 " the 3/16 is coming in tomorrow.. It's the bungee that is to small. But I will figure it out. The one OG bungee i have the holes are only dimples and do not go threw the metal...

No shit, what do I know. I've only made and sold about 30 sets of the damn things...Moot I know but the clamps aren't made from tubing either. You clearly have a very unique set that you are using as a pattern. 1/4" is also larger than the original 5mm (3/16") bungee. Yours will work fine I'm sure, I was going for exact copies with the ones I made.

Pretty sure I can see the cord through those "dimples" too.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
bubba wrote:
crofty wrote:

No shit, what do I know. I've only made and sold about 30 sets of the damn things...Moot I know but the clamps aren't made from tubing either. You clearly have a very unique set that you are using as a pattern. 1/4" is also larger than the original 5mm (3/16") bungee. Yours will work fine I'm sure, I was going for exact copies with the ones I made.

Pretty sure I can see the cord through those "dimples" too.

Wasn't trying to correct you.. If you took it that way I apolagize..
I diffinitely learn more from this site and good people like you than I preach.. I looked close at the one i have on my bus in, the closet that has never been removed.(from what i can tell) The end I looked didn't look punch all the way thought, But I must be incorrect about this.. Yes, I can clearly see on yours it is punch through.(now) I will pull it out and look at the other end to see if it is all the way through.
I see you have made them in the past.. (didn't know that).All I want to do is make a set for my bus and move on.. I'm not interested in making them to sell. And from what i can see.. 60 bucks for what you where selling them for is one hell of a good deal. If I would have found some for sale...I would have just bought them and moved on.. Very Happy Very Happy
Thank you for your input.... My goal is to make them as correct as i can with the parts and information I'm able to find.. Thank you for your help... Very Happy
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

You are absolutely correct!!! Very Happy It is punched through.. Also when i stated not really.. I was refering to the size of the clip and bungee. But yes.. the size of the clip is to big and the bungee is to small..

This is the one I have... light brown and tan... Did these only come in the buses painted in the tan interior paint?
I my have found a company to source that will make the cord custom colors to match perfect. But its a minium footage order.. Could be costly.. [/list]
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet your "brown" bungees were originally red but are now just faded. I've seen a lot of faded cords and they look grey brown just like the one you have pictured.
There wouldn't be any reason for Westfalia to make a separate color for one model as it wouldnt be cost effective.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may have been two diffrent colors... Mine is from a Mango 60... This was the color under the crimp. (it has been repair back to normal) I have never seen the red and white.. Was always lead to beleive it was brown and tan.. Confused I have been wrong in the past.. Very Happy Also it is a cotton braided material and not nylon like the material I have, and as you can tell the brown and tan colors are flip floped...
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be argumentative, here, but mine is absolutely brown; and this is based on the end loop that was screwed against the wall for the past 54 years where sunlight can't get to it. I will be at Bulli this year (space #102) and I will bring my bungee. I'd like to compare it to someone with an original red one. Maybe I'm just colorblind, but it's as brown as it can be through my eyes.

kent

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a source for the bungee.. Custom made colors and patterns. I sent a picture of the cord i have for the patten, sizing is 5mm.. They said no problem.. I just have to figure out how to move 1,000 meters of bungees!! Laughing Laughing LOL... Now.. If we can just get some help on the brass crimps, we can product perfect reproduction bungees for SO-23 owners in need...
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't leave so34 owners out..I have a really nice unfaded bungee from my closet I can take pics of the others I have are faded and stretched out
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same pattern as my original closet bungee from my SO35 I think, I will check and let you know. I always thought it was faded red.

My SO35 is light grey btw

Cheers
Kev
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there are more colors... But i know 100% for sure mine is originaly brown and tan. I also have had 2 other PM's form 23 owners that theirs is also brown and tan. I don't know anything about any other SO campers...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: