Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston the Westy and the Router Hollows...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: A Bit More Clarification Reply with quote

A person doing the same drill (or is that, 'route?') asked for some more details, thought I'd share them.

--

What we did was to cut a length of wood, about an inch in width, to a bit more than the diameter of the front (I have an '84) axle end cups, and round that on the ends, keeping the length correct. I bought a carbide downthrust router bit, wore a face shield and a shop apron, and just kept going around and around the central hole. I put the rim on a trash can to catch the shavings.

As I got more and more material out, I used the gauge to see if I was there yet, didn't stop until I could turn it around the hole. I did all four rims so I wouldn't have to worry about which went were. One mistake I hope you can avoid is that I didn't 'taper' the hole. The axle end cap tapers, so your hole can do the same, I made mine uniform to the end of the bore and in spots on two of the hubs went through the outer molding. I patched that successfully, but there was no need to do so.

--

Rims and my repairs are holding up beautifully.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Rob... That's 6 years between posts in this thread. Shocked Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Embarassment! Reply with quote

Okay, I TRIED to do the right thing, so when it looked like I'd double-posted, I deleted what I thought was the 2nd post of the July 2008 post and it was the ONLY post and so I went back and reposted the clipboard and I am so very EMBARRASSED. BUT...

Just to make this post more useful than this oopsie, people in similar situations might have a look at this offering from the Chinese House of Cheap Tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's pneumatic, though, and with a coupon you can knock it down to $69. It's actually gotten some good reviews, and is capable of 700 ft./lbs. If it were electric, I'd probably buy it.

But that may come in handy to those with castle-nut issues.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought this thread was about adding WiFi to Winston. Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: