Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bring on the Project Builds!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: My on going build! Reply with quote

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unreal how jealous I am of that bedliner. I'm dying to do the same. Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your bored waiting for a build thread and don't mind forum hopping, I have a build thread that's been going for a few years on a 16" syncro weekender
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78449 full on inane rumblings and heartache and suspension upgrades and various engines and diesel heaters and 12volt systems, and did I mention heartache? Laughing
After damaging the last engine, I've just started another thread on rebuilding a tdi engine
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=123947
The 3rd part in the trilogy (bodywork) will be starting soon, this will be a full body resto with all that European rot cut out..
not that it looks bad now, but if you read the above threads you'll see I'm a fussy bugger Laughing

I could put the bodywork thread on here as well if people want?..
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone but I've taken a few weeks off on the "16 doka. I've been moving into a different house and have done very little on the doka in the last few weeks. I'll be back on it soon.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finishing the Corter van and will try to catch the thread up shortly.

I also invite all to post with projects and builds.
It is a bit time consuming, but once you are in stride it flows easier.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just jumped in too. Currently stripping the exterior down. I had the van painted about 4 years ago, the prep was not great and paint was starting to lift...so.
The unique thing about this mess is the bottom of my van has herculiner on it. If anyone has wondered how hard it is to strip that down for a repaint, I can now tell you. Thread and pics to come.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
I just jumped in too. Currently stripping the exterior down. I had the van painted about 4 years ago, the prep was not great and paint was starting to lift...so.
The unique thing about this mess is the bottom of my van has herculiner on it. If anyone has wondered how hard it is to strip that down for a repaint, I can now tell you. Thread and pics to come.

A Snap On Crud Thug with the hard wire wheel will easily remove bedliner and prepare the metal surface in one pass.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My on going build! Reply with quote

SL12572 wrote:
Before

All you guys with the pop top conversions are tempting me. It's something I've been toying with, but wasn't sure if I really wanted to do it or if I'd just get a hi top instead.

That's looking nice..keep up the good work.
GoWestyYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here is my conversion project album that involves Burley's shop portion only...later will be the last month's work in photo #30 onward:
http://s47.photobucket.com/user/CraigL28/slideshow/Syncro%20Conversion%20Project
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bring on the Project Builds! Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
The recent thread on whether or not the forum is going south got me thinking. What seems to be lacking on this forum lately are the project threads. I know it takes time to photograph and do write-ups on our Vanagon projects, but to me these are the best part of this forum.

I agree, and I have been thinking about this since David started this thread. But what really got me thinking was this comment from the build thread started yesterday…

Madeouttaglass wrote:
I've debated with myself if I even wanted to post this latest project of mine. Afterall, I know that few people have the skills or patience of Hodakaguy and I know that I'm not one of them.

I am wondering how many people, myself included, have considered beginning a build thread, but are intimidated, by the quality of some recent build threads, for example Hodakaguy's thread as noted above. Many other notable threads come to mind, but to start ID'ing them would be a dis-service to many other great threads here.

I used to participate in car rallys and motorcycle enduros. At first, it was all take…go to an event, compete, go home. Then once you get involved, you realize hey, someone has done a lot of work to put this event together so that I can come and enjoy it. All volunteer effort; and there are always those half-dozen individuals who seem to do the bulk of the work, in any undertaking. So, you begin to get involved yourself, and the more people that do that; the better it is for everyone. Spreading the work.

So theSamba is a similar thing, the more people that can contribute, the better it is for all of theSamba addicts. But, when I think of contributing, I reflect on all these great build threads, and think 'I am not worthy'. But heck, I enjoy all the build threads, regardless of the 'quality' of the work, or of the documentation effort. Off the top of my head, I can think of a half-dozen build threads I could start. Maybe now I will.

RonC
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring on the Project Builds! Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
The recent thread on whether or not the forum is going south got me thinking. What seems to be lacking on this forum lately are the project threads. I know it takes time to photograph and do write-ups on our Vanagon projects, but to me these are the best part of this forum.

I agree, and I have been thinking about this since David started this thread. But what really got me thinking was this comment from the build thread started yesterday…

Madeouttaglass wrote:
I've debated with myself if I even wanted to post this latest project of mine. Afterall, I know that few people have the skills or patience of Hodakaguy and I know that I'm not one of them.

I am wondering how many people, myself included, have considered beginning a build thread, but are intimidated, by the quality of some recent build threads, for example Hodakaguy's thread as noted above. Many other notable threads come to mind, but to start ID'ing them would be a dis-service to many other great threads here.

I used to participate in car rallys and motorcycle enduros. At first, it was all take…go to an event, compete, go home. Then once you get involved, you realize hey, someone has done a lot of work to put this event together so that I can come and enjoy it. All volunteer effort; and there are always those half-dozen individuals who seem to do the bulk of the work, in any undertaking. So, you begin to get involved yourself, and the more people that do that; the better it is for everyone. Spreading the work.

So theSamba is a similar thing, the more people that can contribute, the better it is for all of theSamba addicts. But, when I think of contributing, I reflect on all these great build threads, and think 'I am not worthy'. But heck, I enjoy all the build threads, regardless of the 'quality' of the work, or of the documentation effort. Off the top of my head, I can think of a half-dozen build threads I could start. Maybe now I will.

RonC

Ron I think there are many people out there who share your thoughts and feelings, including myself. It's all about participation and keeping the ball rolling. I'm sure some of things I've posted a few of the pros might think is amateur hour, and so be it. I'm still proud of the things I've done to my van. Some of us just aren't 2nd and 3rd generation mechanics or have engineering backgrounds or access to amazing shops and supplies. But that doesn't mean you should be intimidated or discouraged to post on a public forum. And while it's hard to ignore the negativity that some posters seem to have a hard time getting away from, there are also folks out here who are still willing to guide, ask questions, and encourage your ideas and work. So I say post it up, ignore the useless/negative comments, and have some fun.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't image I'll ever build a project as pristine as hodakaguy's, or purplepeopleeater's, recent threads. I'm too cheap and too impatient to attempt that level of build. And I don't see myself ever having the talent to machine parts to swap in a Suby trans, or the perseverance to get a 1.8t to run backwards. But I love to read about it and those threads inspire me to get out in the garage and attempt simpler mods myself.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482402&highlight=sunroof+syncro

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559766&highlight=winter+rust

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569774

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring on the Project Builds! Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:

RonC

Good thoughts, Ron. Vanagon maintenance and upgrades are so multifaceted that I think all contributions are extremely valuable in this forum. There are certain things that I am an expert on, but others that I don't know much about. I learn new things and get good ideas from all the project threads here.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: