Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

long travel cold feet
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: long travel cold feet Reply with quote

when going with widerXlonger trailing arms is it feasible to mount said arms first and then position transmission mounts fore or aft to match desired axle length? Does this work?

I'm just getting cold feet trying to finger out in what order to build (and buy parts). I have a sideshift tranny so placement in relation to the shifter is a non-issue.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is far easier to just mount your transmission, then measure and figure out what length axles you need. Mount the bus transmissions the same place the bug transmissions were mounted. There are several kits to do this available from pretty much any aftermarket off road vw supplier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the size arms you use if you can get away with mounting the tranny in the stock location. On the larger arms you will want to set the tranny in line with the stub axle location to reduce the CV angles allowing you more wheel travel.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what size arms do you want? People who run 3x3's rarely move the transmission, but the 5x5's and up are a different story...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Jcr. Kat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't move the tranny your going to have different length axles and min. Travel
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call Avery's yesterday which I should have done a long time ago. He was very helpful. I was right, I need to mount the arms before the trans so I can make sure I'm even on both sides. I can also slide it forward or back to line up the outputs AMAP with the stubs in the arms. After all that I can worry about axle length.
I was (over)thinking I could control my axle length somehow to end up with a readily available axle from a local auto parts supplier. I'll just have to deal with what I end up with. I decided to go 2.5"X2.5" which in axle terms is the same as 2"X3". That way I will prolly end up with a stock length anyway.
I'll have 3-1/4" ride height which with type 2 CVs will equate to 8" of travel which ought to be plenty for my woods buggy according to Avery's.
I'm really glad I researched my arm suppliers and landed on Avery's. It really sounds like he has the experience to put together a tough arm. He's even come up with a better bearing arrangement to support the stubs and there's provisions for mounting calipers when I get to that point.
Now I just have to be patient and wait a few weeks.

In the meantime I can figure out how I'm going to engineer my front and rear mounts on the sideshift 091. I need to figure out what size urethane bushing to use for the mounts... any suggestions? Maybe I should start a build thread for my rear end? Don't see any with my variables yet.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. Wink

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: