Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Viton Type 1 pushrod tube seals
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Viton Type 1 pushrod tube seals Reply with quote

After searching and calling a number of vendors, it seems like these are not made. Is this true? If not, where might I find them?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw man, the guy is just pulling your leg, or confused silicone with viton.
You want the SILICONE pushrod tube seals; those are the good ones, but remember nothing sticks to silicone.... except maybe silicone.... so don't put any goop on em.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hae whatever white rubbery POS's that come in the basic rebuild kit these days.. They fit the tubes snugly, but once i torqued the heads down, almost all of them bulged out.. Do i need to pull my heads and fix them, how do you hold em in place? Last time i had the reddish ones and they didn't have thise problem.. :/

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought a gasket set in ten years. Almost nothing useable in them things. From what I remember the red ones crack and the white ones turn into chewing gum Shocked

CB sells the silicone pushrod tube seals and nice flywheel o-ring too.
THe empi silicone pushrod seals are good too from what I've heard
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white ones that come in the Elring sets work fine. The silicone ones from Empi are too soft.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we carry the Elring sets, they work great.

However, another problem we have seen is where the push rod tubes are too long, and they bottom out before the head is fully torqued down. This squishes even the best seals out. This is not a common problem, but we have seen it often enough to be aware of it.

Push rod tubes do come in different lengths, and sometimes it DOES matter.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: EMPI pushrod tube seals Reply with quote

modok wrote:

CB sells the silicone pushrod tube seals and nice flywheel o-ring too.
THe empi silicone pushrod seals are good too from what I've heard

Yes, believe it or not, the EMPI silicone "white translucent" seals are very good. I've had them in my current 2332 cc for several years and they have stayed supple and do not leak at all:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
I hae whatever white rubbery POS's that come in the basic rebuild kit these days.. They fit the tubes snugly, but once i torqued the heads down, almost all of them bulged out.. Do i need to pull my heads and fix them, how do you hold em in place?

This is my problem, I also used the "high quality silicon" seals on the half of the engine I put adjustable pushrod tubes on with the same result. I have pulled my heads to repair this properly.

[email protected] wrote:

"However, another problem we have seen is where the push rod tubes are too long, and they bottom out before the head is fully torqued down. This squishes even the best seals out. "

I had considered this until the adjustable tubes squished them out just the same.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:
I hae whatever white rubbery POS's that come in the basic rebuild kit these days.. They fit the tubes snugly, but once i torqued the heads down, almost all of them bulged out.. Do i need to pull my heads and fix them, how do you hold em in place?

This is my problem, I also used the "high quality silicon" seals on the half of the engine I put adjustable pushrod tubes on with the same result. I have pulled my heads to repair this properly.

[email protected] wrote:

"However, another problem we have seen is where the push rod tubes are too long, and they bottom out before the head is fully torqued down. This squishes even the best seals out. "

I had considered this until the adjustable tubes squished them out just the same.

so I guess I have a head pull in my future.. luckily the engine is still spinning on my stand, so it won't be too difficult, just a PITA..

how did you get yours to stay and not squeeze out?

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, put a tube in without seals and make sure it's not too long. The 1300, 1500, and 1600cc tubes DO vary in length, depending on the mfg. If all are too long use a 40hp tube and stretch it out, it will compress to the proper length after the head is torqued without squishing the seals out. Squished seals happen if the seals are too soft, or if the tube can't compress any more.

It's common for "higher compression" engines to need 40hp tubes, because the heads have been flycut for compression, making the engine narrower and needing short tubes.

With the spring loaded tubes, the spring is too stiff for the softest seals, the Elring ones work great. Silicone but are firm, not squishy.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much appreciated John! These tubes are old(used for less than 1000 miles, but the engine has sat for 5+ years..) but still in great shape, but the heads are new, so maybe they are just fly cut..

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured out the riddle. Type-4 engines can use viton o-rings! aha!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: