Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comments and questions about my van & a bunch of picture
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Comments and questions about my van & a bunch of picture Reply with quote

I've had this 84 Westfalia for a couple years now. Here are a few things that have always puzzled me.

What is this switch on the dash? Doesn't seem to do anything. What is the silver plug to the right of the lighter?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Behind each seat there is what appears to be a headphone jack plug... and a headphone connector does fit in it. What the heck are these?

On the right side of the upper vent system there are two map lights. Neither have any wiring and don't appear to have ever been hooked up. What's the deal?

One of the flaws on my interior is the bed hinges seem to be leaving marks on the ceiling and some on the tent. Anyone have this issue?

Anyone know of a good LED upgrade for these style lights?

Onto some of the mods I have done that I enjoyed on my last camping trip.

I pulled these off a 77 Rabbit. Direct swap and a little VW/Audi flare

I got this indoor outdoor temp sensor on Amazon for somewhere around $15. The outdoor sensor is in the frig... little cool in there at the moment. It's nice to keep an eye on the temp.

This hatch vent rod has come in really handy. I am pretty sure I bought it off a vendor on thesamba. Definitely a good mod as long as you aren't in a buggy area.

I did the H4 headlight upgrade with relays from gowesty. I bought the housings for cheaper on Amazon. The headlights are a huge upgrade and gowesty included excellent instructions. Whole install was only about 30 mins. I thought they might look a little out of place being a new looking headlight on an old van, but they look great.

MB CLK wheels and geolander tires. Great combo, looks sweet and rides/handles very nice. wheel lugs from T3.

I also installed the gowesty springs and the Bilstein HD sport shocks. I have noticed the shocks are little too stiff for my liking.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the first 3 mysteries are PO projects, now lost to the ages.
You can try to trace wires, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

The "silver socket" is a Euro-spec power port - similar to the cig lighter.
It's possible to find accessories for it, or just ignore it like the other mysteries above. Rolling Eyes

You've got a good looking rig - those are my favorite wheels!
My van just doesn't know it yet...

Rock on!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
I'd say the first 3 mysteries are PO projects, now lost to the ages.
You can try to trace wires, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

The "silver socket" is a Euro-spec power port - similar to the cig lighter.
It's possible to find accessories for it, or just ignore it like the other mysteries above. Rolling Eyes

You've got a good looking rig - those are my favorite wheels!
My van just doesn't know it yet...

Rock on!

The headphone jacks are weird. I didn't notice them for about a year and one of my buddies pointed them out. The rest of the van was 100% stock when I bought it. Even the original radio. Good to know on the euro socket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments and questions about my van & a bunch of pic Reply with quote

blake28 wrote:
What is the silver plug to the right of the lighter?

It is the "silver socket". You can go to a BMW motorcycle shop and find all sorts of cool things to plug into it.
Quote:
Silver socket.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SilverSocket.html

I had a trouble light that plugged in there and had a long enough cord to make it to the engine compartment, or, to any of the 4 wheels. It was a pretty nifty deal. you can also buy heated gloves and all sorts of other cool motorcycle accessories.

The other switch was likely for fog lights, but, who knows. looks like a PO intended to add some extra lights but realized it was hard to run the wires,but, instead of giving up, he decided to drill the holes and install them anyway, just to never get to the task of wiring them in. All sorts of threads on wiring them, in fact, I think climberjohn and 1621 may have a thread on the subject.
Your dash has an interesting aftermarket vinyl treatment done to it. It looks good from the picture, but likely not stock.
Nice van. I love the wheels and the stance!

Lights: this get you started for exterior:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=140
Scroll down to "INTERIOR LIGHTING" for the interior threads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6288276#6288276
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Deere dealers have silver socket accessories as well.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base is G4 on the light bulbs. I found out that in order to get the same output of light as OG you would have to mount another socket in the fixture and run 2 LED Bulbs. LED G4 bulbs are $16-20 each. You can find G4 LEDs to plug in but it will be about 1/2 the light.
Too much work for what it is. I mounted other LEDs. I only use my G4 light (stock blubs)when I want bright light when using a knife while cooking. My G4 light is mounted above the stove/sink.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:

The base is G4 on the light bulbs. I found out that in order to get the same output of light as OG you would have to mount another socket in the fixture and run 2 LED Bulbs. LED G4 bulbs are $16-20 each. You can find G4 LEDs to plug in but it will be about 1/2 the light.
Too much work for what it is. I mounted other LEDs. I only use my G4 light (stock blubs)when I want bright light when using a knife while cooking. My G4 light is mounted above the stove/sink.

Good to know. I could probably piece together a few donor dome lights and install them inside the fixtures to add more bulbs.

Are there any favorite complete fixtures anyone buys? The interior lights thread is kind of outdated.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say your van looks like a nice little cream-puff. Very clean looking van.
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Just wanted to say that van look like you found yourself a nice little cream-puff. Very clean looking van.

Thanks, got it with 66k. 73k now. hasn't had any issues yet. It is very rust free. Looking to do a subie swap in the next couple years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: