Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crunchy sounding steering
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: crunchy sounding steering Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just got my steering column put back in my bus (took it out to repaint it), got the seal on the splined shaft replaced, and getting ready to put the new steering wheel on, but when I turn the wheel, the bearing up top sounds crunchy.

I know there is a bearing in the column. I read this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146165&highlight=column+bearing

Can I use a grease gun and inject grease into that bearing with it in the column or must I remove it to regrease it? Bus has been sitting for 30 years and basically everything not taken off and replaced needs to be regreased/oiled.

I was able to get the collar out of the column, but tried to pull the bearing out (took a wire hanger and bent two short abrupt bends in the ends, but I couldn't even get it to budge). I figured I would see what you guys have done if encountering this problem. Nows the time to fix it with the steering wheel off.

Any incite is greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I'm aware of to get the bearing out of the column tube is by tapping the steering column downward, out of the bearing and column tube. That, of course, means you have to disassemble the steering box so the column can be tapped down through the cover plate--a major job. If you're not up to that, you could try greasing the bearings in place and see if that helps the problem, knowing it's a temporary fix.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to an older post by hazetguy, you can pull it out the top of the column. This post has some information about how to do it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432251&highlight=column+bearing

I am just having one heck of a time getting it out. Just dont have a puller device that small.

If I can successfully grease it with it in the column that would save time/effort, but I dont want to attempt that method if its not something that can be done successfully. Last thing I need to do is make a big mess in the column and end up not fixing it.

Anyone else work on this column upper bearing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greased mine when I had it out. The bearing isn't sealed but has pretty tight clearance between the pieces. I don't think you can get grease in there effectively while it's still installed. Gear oil would penetrate and maybe do some good. The excess would flow into the box where it belongs. Be careful, tho. It stinks!
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolerthanelvis wrote:
I greased mine when I had it out.

Care to share the way you extracted the bearing? Just for reference. :)

coolerthanelvis wrote:
Be careful, tho. It stinks!

Thats a true understatement. Don't get it on your hands, you'll wreak for days...
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna purchase a needle nose adapter tip for my grease gun today and give it a shot. That fine tip might be enough to get grease into that very small crack.

Fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: