Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW Reply with quote

So, I am building an 1835 for my daily driver. It won't be a high revving engine and I don't plan on beating the snot out of it. I have both of these fans and am not sure which one I should use. The one from So. Cal. is welded and clearly balanced, looks decent, has .015" of runout and is slightly egg-shaped. The OE VW is NON-balanced (despite what CIP1 states), welded, has less than .005" runout, and runs MUCH more true than the one from So. Cal. (i. e. not egg shaped). I am leaning towards the OE VW.

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aft...ed-p-12468

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-113-119-031-BHD
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the OE one is out of balance, or that you can't see evidence of the balancing? OE fans were balanced out of the factory, but if it has been welded it should be re-balanced. Balancing is usually achieved with the addition of little weights on the blades, or drilling holes in the sides. I have also seen some notching done. If the OE is not out of balance I think I'd go with that.
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
Are you saying the OE one is out of balance, or that you can't see evidence of the balancing? OE fans were balanced out of the factory, but if it has been welded it should be re-balanced. Balancing is usually achieved with the addition of little weights on the blades, or drilling holes in the sides. I have also seen some notching done. If the OE is not out of balance I think I'd go with that.

I see no evidence that the OE fan was balanced after welding. The one from So Cal has chalk marks on it and clear signs of material removal - which tells me it is balanced.

A side note: All of the welds on the So Cal fan are ground smooth, while the OE fan welds are not. Does this mean anything? Probably not, but it may be worth noting.
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally seen 7k rpm on my offroad buggy with a stock German fan and stock cam. I know that others will say that this is not possible, but it has happened and the stock German fan is still fine several years later. I had an issue with the throttle cable sticking and ended up using a ziptie around the throttle cable and my right foot to finish the weekend. I completely trust a German fan to at least 7K.
Good Luck
Kenric
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
I have personally seen 7k rpm on my offroad buggy with a stock German fan and stock cam. I know that others will say that this is not possible, but it has happened and the stock German fan is still fine several years later. I had an issue with the throttle cable sticking and ended up using a ziptie around the throttle cable and my right foot to finish the weekend. I completely trust a German fan to at least 7K.
Good Luck
Kenric

How much was the belt slipping
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a stickey question, nobody can tell you exzactly what will work best, you might have a dead german fan,or a great china fan.or both good. or both bad.I have a crapy china fan that has seen many blasts, and a oe german that has also seen many, the german isant balanced as well as the china fan is( atleast the two I have. I did do a bit of balancing on the german fan to smooth it out more,but it's still not as smooth as the china fan is.If I were to be buying a new one I would probably go with the mexiaco balanced new fan, either welded or not thats up to you.
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Gene Berg, and move on!
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen one fan explode. It was a welded one.
I've always ran stock fans and never had a problem. Many 6K revs.
Maybe i'm just lucky! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebucket wrote:
Go with Gene Berg, and move on!

Yeah, this is probably the best way to go, but I already have these two. And I'm not sure I could deal with their crazy lead times, either.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the stocker too. Mine sees 5k every day, and 6k once in a while.

Paul
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a welded one from someone here in the classifieds i think racinjason? i forgot what vw one he uses but its definitley a good one and has taken the rpm well in my buggy.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW Reply with quote

you do not need a welded fan if you are using a V-belt, the belt slips bad around 5k RPM and the fan doesn't go any faster, even at 8k RPM engine speed.

If you have a serpentine belt that is a different story. When they first came out there was a rash of exploded fans, because the belt transmits far more power into the fan, and the fan speed is much higher than with a V-belt.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
you do not need a welded fan if you are using a V-belt, the belt slips bad around 5k RPM and the fan doesn't go any faster, even at 8k RPM engine speed.

If you have a serpentine belt that is a different story. When they first came out there was a rash of exploded fans, because the belt transmits far more power into the fan, and the fan speed is much higher than with a V-belt.

I am just using the stock V-belt. To be honest, I don't really see any benefit to the serpentine setups (aside from looks, I suppose).
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW Reply with quote

Rowroy wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I am just using the stock V-belt. To be honest, I don't really see any benefit to the serpentine setups (aside from looks, I suppose).

The benefit is supposed to be that they do not slip, which is actually a bad thing as John points out.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fan: welded/balanced Chinese or non-balanced OE VW Reply with quote

a Serp system will cool better on the highway, since no slip = more cooling air. And they look nice.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
Good Luck
Kenric

I have no doubt that the stock fan will hit 7K but the question is for how long... Laughing Exploded fans do a hell of a lot of damage when such an incident occurs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stock V-belt starts slipping at 4k or so. You can turn the crank pulley at 20k RPM and the fan won't go any faster than it did at 4500.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OEM fan was tig welded and no filler rod added the fan retains its factory balance which is pretty good as it is. The china fans need balancing even if not welded. Ive had china fans destroy alternator bearings/housings in under 5K miles under normal use.

My vote is for welded OEM
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tig'd my OEM fan. Best of both worlds, and no "but what ifs"...

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbodon1776
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tig'd mine with no rod.

had one come apart on me years back while doing timing.

ruined fan, fan shroud, alt stand, oil cooler, fins chipped off head, and took a couple pieces to my body that luckily didnt injure me worse than a few scratches.

it was a freak thing that could have happened on any or the times the engine hit 6 or 7 grand but instead decided to let loose at 2500rpm while i was inches away from it.

ever since then ive run a welded fan for piece of mind.

before i got my tig machine Kustom1 warehouse had the best deal on welded fans FWIW.

had a bad ass car but it has departed

2276 Turbo motor
fk87
superflo heads
490HP
9.56 ET

now I clunk around in a 65 baja bug
Chevy Ecotec Engine
091 trans
coilovers, bypasses and all the fun $tuff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: