Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Karmann Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: 1960 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Does any one know if I can install a 72 bug engine and trans in a 60 ghia without having to make modifications to body. IE Looking to just sit in and bolt up.[list][/list]
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need to modify the tin at the least. the 60 engine bay is something like 1.5 inches narrower on the front and both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a '72 bug tranny is an IRS and your '60 Ghia is swing-axle. Huge difference and not easy to modify for one to bolt into the other.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy that 60 in talequah, or are you the one thats selling it?
ebarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one selling the 60 in Tahlequah. If it don't sell I'm going to update it with a 72 engine and transaxle if it don't require more skills than I possess.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little search and...

you can convert ANY dual side cover trans to swing axles. To do this you swap the side covers and diff. Just gotta make sure the existing ring gear will fit the new diff.

To correctly convert a IRS to a swing you need to reshim the carrier and reshim the R&P backlash. It is a lot more complicated then juist removing and replacing parts.

67-68 SA trans have same gears as IRS
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can weld on the mounts for the IRS trailing arms then switch out the spring plates. there is a bolt on kit for split bus's to do this. I don't know if the torsion bar tube is a different OD than the Ghai pan. if it is the same then you can bolt on get everything lined up and later weld if so desired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebarnes wrote:
I'm the one selling the 60 in Tahlequah. If it don't sell I'm going to update it with a 72 engine and transaxle if it don't require more skills than I possess.

The gold one? I would think you'd be better off putting an IRS ghia pan under your body.
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: 1960 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

The car looks to be fairly complete, unmolested, and your price is fair. I would not modify anything for two or three week.

1960 Ghias have many unique features that make it more valuable to some people. It also makes it a car that is rarely, completely restored to stock.

Take the time and get the 36 horsepower motor in it running correctly. If that is still not enough horsepower for you buy a stock 1600 or 1641 and install it into the car without changing the transmission. You will have to do some grinding inside the trans but it is not too difficult. You will also have to be careful to remove the grinding particles as you work. Magnesium is flammable! Keep the area clean as you work and you should be good to go.

There is plenty of knowledge and advise here on thesamba. Just ask and you will get answers.

Edit to add, you can also buy a transmission rebuilt to your needs. That would make the swap more of a bolt in and offer a better gear ratio if you need it. Drive it for awhile before deciding what you want to do. If you do decide to install a different engine and transmission, keep the originals.

John

Last edited by john morris on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a discussion that points out some one year only parts and differences:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476208&highlight=1960

here is another:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531506&highlight=1960
ebarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your good and useful information.
If I decide to grind out the bell housing, do I just use a regular grinder and how much grinding is require, ie, 1/8, 1/16 etc.
It was also recommended that I use the existing trans. and install the flywheel off the old engine on the 1600, use the 6 volt starter and run it on 12volts. Said it will last a long time with minimum damage to starter. Is this WORKABLE or recommended.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not put a 180mm clutch flywheel on a later motor. grind the tranny and get a 12 volt starter. the 6v starter will work for a while. if you use it stock it eventually chews up the starter ring on the flywheel. you can put a 12v solenoid on the 6v starter to avoid but they do eventually burn up if you do more than short starter burst. but again spend the 20 minutes to grind the tranny. Rasp file on a drill. make a template of the flywheel and stick it in there. You will need a grind on the 4 bolt mount holes and a bit elsewhere I think. Been a long time. Google it. Every thing should be googled LOL
Alejandro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Hello Ebarnes. I found you thru your phone number on CL Oklahoma. Are you still selling some ghia bumpers or any pieces?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: