Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Kind of Split Speedo is this?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevm wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Did all RHD cars have these reversed speedos? It never occurred to me that if the cable was connected to the right wheel, it would have to rotate the needle this way. And RHD owners out there have details? Any pics under hood of RHD cars, even ovals??

On all the RHD VWs I have owned the speedo cable is longer (tube is also longer) and is attached to the left side wheel same as a LHD car !

Good guess though Very Happy

on my rhd south african 51 the speedo tube comes up on the left side
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That speedo is probably for a special drivers-ed. car (dual speedos, steering wheels and pedals). I've never seen a picture of or heard of a Split version but there are definitely pictures of at least one Oval drivers-ed. car with two speedos. VDO made speedos for many different makes and models of cars but only Split Beetles had that particular font and layout on the dial. It isn't for an industrial application because of the speed range. It might be missing the shift marks because its the speedo that's supposed to be mounted on the driving instructors side of the car, and the driving instructor would have no need to shift gears.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw-museum wrote:
The Partnumber is : AL 158 001.2

My September 1950 parts manual gives the part number as 11 957 021a for the 11A and 11 957 021b for 11C, 11G, 14A and 15A. Later speedo part number is 113 957 021 - I'd be very surprised if the format change in 51 and then back again later - my vote is it is certainly not a type 1 VW speedo (but I have been known to get these things wrong; it is just my opinion)

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: