Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueGrif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

Is it possible to put pop out windows on my 72 Squareback? I know earlier models had them but dont know how much work it would take to convert it. Thanks for your time!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

TrueGrif wrote:
Is it possible to put pop out windows on my 72 Squareback? I know earlier models had them but dont know how much work it would take to convert it. Thanks for your time!

Multi69s did a really nice write up on converting a late model Square to pop outs. I used it, when I converted my 71 Notch to pop outs. But the jist of the conversion centered around using bug hinges, and welding a nut plate or using riv-nuts for the latches. That was the "hard part" for me, as the rest went smoothly. In my case, I spot welded in some weld nuts for the latches, so I could keep the heat down (I was dealing with fresh paint). I also didn't use the angle alumiunum that he used on his, as it pushed the front of the windows out too far. I think on page 18 or 19 of my "Been busy working on the 71 Notch" thread in my signature shows how I did it on my car.
Or, you could do a search for pop outs, or pop out conversion, and it might take you to the thread I first referenced. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TrueGrif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man I'll give it a shot.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueGrif wrote:
Thanks man I'll give it a shot.

Here's the link I mentioned above.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232650

And a couple of my observations, and some pics.

[quote="Bobnotch"] I do know that you have to remove the curved hinge pieces from the pop out window frame. Note, this IS for using the T-1 hinge.
You don't need to cut anything, except a slot in the "C" post to slip in a piece of thicker metal to anchor the latch with, or use a riv-nut insert (for those that don't want to do any welding). The drawback to using the riv-nut, is getting it in the right location, and it being the right size.

What I did, was put the T-1 hinge in the center of the window opening front. Drill my thru holes in the "B" post, and attach it in place. Now with the glass out of the pop out window frame, put the frame back together, and use some 2 inch tape to center the frame in the window opening (without the glass in the frame, it's lighter, and easier to locate). Then drill new holes in the frame, and tap them for your screws (I used a 3.5mm tap, as that's what VW used for the curved window hinge pieces, and re-used the VW screws). Then trim the screw lengths with a die grinder or dremel, and remove the window frame and hinge from the car (leave the hinge attached to the window frame). Split the frame, and install the new inner seal, and reassemble the window. Then add the outer seal. Now you can install the completed window into the opening, and start working on the latch end. I used weld in nut-serts on mine.

Just so you know, you can't add a plate to the topside of the post, as that'll cause the window to have to be pulled too far in to latch. You can actually break the latch by forcing it to move to far. This is why you cut a slot in the "C" post, slip your "tap plate" in place, attach the latch, and trim the excess off. You could also cut the slot for the plate, insert it, and screw the plate to the inside of the post, then trim off the excess plate material, then locate the latch, and drill and tap it in the correct location.
I hope this helps.

Bobnotch wrote:
I dug thru my thread and brought up these pics to help you see what I'm talking about.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once I got one side to fit good, I started the other side. With an idea of what I needed to do, it went a lot easier than the first side did. I then cleaned up the frames, and installed the glass and new seals in the left side. Afterward, I installed the window. Here's a couple of shots.

Here's me doing what the latch should be doing. I've still got that part to do, but I want to get the right as close as the left. What I like about this shot, is that the seal is nice and tight to the body.

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

Bringing this back from the dead as I'm working through putting pop outs on my 73 right now using the t1 hinge method.

I'm stuck in that the front of the pop out is way more off the body than the rears when i tighten down the latch. It really seems that the t1 hinge is the reason why. in that its pushing the front of the window out, just by being there.

Bob said something about notching the c pillar, i'm totally lost on that. But tomorrow i'm going to take another look at the t1 hinges and see if theres any way I can figure to get that front of the window to sit closer to the body. Dont have any fancy bits, just screwed the t1 hinge into the pop out frames and drilled into the c pillar and used the nut plate supplied with the t1 hinge to hold it in.

Or, I just go back to fixed Rolling Eyes
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

padgett wrote:
Bringing this back from the dead as I'm working through putting pop outs on my 73 right now using the t1 hinge method.

I'm stuck in that the front of the pop out is way more off the body than the rears when i tighten down the latch. It really seems that the t1 hinge is the reason why. in that its pushing the front of the window out, just by being there.

Bob said something about notching the c pillar, i'm totally lost on that. But tomorrow i'm going to take another look at the t1 hinges and see if theres any way I can figure to get that front of the window to sit closer to the body. Dont have any fancy bits, just screwed the t1 hinge into the pop out frames and drilled into the c pillar and used the nut plate supplied with the t1 hinge to hold it in.

Or, I just go back to fixed Rolling Eyes

Did you mount the bug hinge to the pinch weld in the window opening? I only ask, as you slip one side of the hinge (with nut plate) over the pinch weld lip to set it. I don't have an Orange Bentley handy, so I can't give you a page to show you how it goes together. I just looked on Isp's and Wolfsburg West's sites as well, and neither has a good blow up of the assembly.
Basically, find the center of the front lip between the 2 curved ends. Use that as a center point to mount the hinge, and mark the holes from the hinge in it (I used a Sharpie). Drill those dots out, and assemble the hinge and nut plate to the pinch weld lip.

Then mount the pop out frame where you want it using 2" masking tape to help hold it and center the pop out frame in the opening. Now mark those holes for drilling and tapping, and then remove the frame and drill and tap them. Install them in place. Now remove the body side with tapping plate, and trim off any extra screw length inside the window channel, so the glass and seal will clear them.

Note; the window frame might stick out from the body anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch, but this won't hurt a thing. Most times they'll sit flush or close to flush. The rubber outer seal will hide the imperfection, as you really want the seal to sit flat, not the frame.
Keep in mind that the pop out part of the window (rear part) will only open about 2 to 2.5 inches total when the latch is attached.

As for the slot to cut, you want something to anchor the latch with. The holes (large) might already be there, but the screws that hold the latch base itself use 4mm screws, while the holes in the body are 8mm or larger. By cutting a slot into the body, you can slip a tapping plate in behind the inner side of the post to anchor the latch in place. Note, this tapping plate can be as thin as 1/8th inch thick steel, and can be pre-drilled and tapped. You basically cut the slot in the post, slip the tapping plate in place, mark out those existing large holes, then using the latch itself mark and drill and tap those holes. Once you're ready to assemble that part, you insert the tapping plate, and bolt the latch to it thru the body sheet metal. Then cut off what's sticking out of the slot. It can then be welded and ground at that point to hide it. If you don't have access to a welder, then make sure you install the post material at the latch base before hand and re-glue it in place after it's all screwed together.
Then it's just a matter of installing the 2 rubber seals, the pin and the "E" clip, and you're done. Try not to loose the "E" clip, as they are small.
I hope this helps.

Edit note; On my 71 Notch, I drilled the latch mounting base screw holes out slightly, so I could use a 10-32 screw, as that was what my weld nuts were that I used.

Edit#2. I'm wondering if you have the bug hinge set up backwards, in that you've got it off set the wrong way. Did you get some hinge covers too? Just asking as that'll show you the inside of the hinge, versus the outside of the hinge (has 2 extra holes on the inside).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

1st of all Bob, thanks for taking the time to write that out and respond to a thread 5+ years old. Thanks for explaining that cut you were talking about, I just used rivnuts.

So this is where i'm at.

I've had the window in and out of this set up for a few days trying to get rid of the gaps. Same way you did it, type 1 hinge screwed to the frame

Thing is, when i lock down the latch to secure the window, it pulls the bottom left of the window out and causes this gap:

Its not much, but its bugging me and I dont want it there.

My thought is this: Is it possible that the rear latch is applying too much pressure and pushing the window out at the front. To mount the rear latch I did have the 3 holes everyone talks about, and i used the two stacked on top of eachother and put rivnuts in them. Then had to drill a 3rd hole as the rear most hole didn't line up with the latch. But this is where i'm at. Should i redo the rear latch mounting and assume that my issue stems from too much pressure on the window?

Thanks for the help again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

OK, I see the gap you're talking about, and I really wouldn't worry about it at this time. This is because you don't have the pinch welt in place yet. The pinch welt is like that plastic strip around the inside of the door opening. With it in place, I believe the window will level out when you open it. What it does is finish the inside of the window opening, but also helps the glass and frame sit in the opening better (fills a good part of the gap around the window).

When you install the welting, start at the bottom of the hinge, and work it around the opening back to the top of the hinge. Make sure you get it all of the way into the corners, as that material WILL shrink over time and pull up and out.

When you install the hinge covers, you'll need to remove 2 of the screws that go into the tapping plate, and replace them with the cover and it's screws (you'll have 3 screws actually holding the tapping plate, and 2 screws holding the cover attaching to the tapping plate).

And no problem on replying to an old thread that just got brought back to the top again.
Since you used riv-nuts, you might have too much material underneath the latch base itself, causing it to pull a little harder. But, look at the outside of the window seal, and see if it's laying flat, or if it's trying to pull inward. In reality, you want the seal to sit flat and semi tight to the body, as that WILL keep water from entering thru the seal/window.

Please keep in mind the the original set up wasn't very tight, due to the way it was set up with the "C" shaped pieces. Most of them wore out the hard rubber on them that was used to both tighten the gap, and keep them from rattling. My biggest worry with them was the possibility of the front falling out, and having the entire window hanging by the latch. Shocked On my 65 Notch, I drilled and put a screw thru them, just so that wouldn't happen. I've since picked another set of bug hinges (from WW) and plan to install them this year when I replace the pop out seals.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

Your the best, bob!

I was hoping someone on here would tell me the gap I'm messing with was acceptable and not to worry about it. I have the pinch welt and I'll try putting that in today and see how it sits afterward. Regardless, it's good to know I was making yet another mountain out of a molehill.

The vintage vw community is the best online community I've delt with....vintage motorcycle communities could learn a thing or two Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

Just for the record, for others who may have found this thread by searching for "late car popouts" or similar... it is possible to retrofit stock popouts, but you need the "hinge plates" that were formerly welded to the inside of the B-pillar. It requires either welding or clever threading of the part and then use of heavy duty rivets or other fasteners. There are other threads about this, and worth searching for if a more stock approach is desired.

Now back to our regular programming...
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop out windows on a 72 Squareback? Reply with quote

put in the windlace/pinch welt. didnt' make a difference, but i'm going to let it ride as is. At least i have piece of mind now.

Thanks all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: