Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dellorto Drip - How the heck?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions:

What does the 1/4-20 in the top do?? is that for converting to cb's jet doctor thingies??

Brass is ok, why use setscrews instead of brass plugs?
Wangchicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathansNathan posted "
Quote:
-oh, the 3rd screw, in case I ever need to do this, is for the top, the lead plug next to the idle air inlet hole, if you drill that, you can look down it with flashlight and have an idea of where you are; you don't want to go too far. blue threadlocker to seal. Hopefully I won't have to attempt this anytime soon.
"

http://performancekote.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, ok, yeah that's what he meant.
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, thanks to all involved Smile
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Drip Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
BillJohnson wrote:
[edited for subject] To view complete quote please see.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=6928607

Have had an email exchange with David Hogarth at Blackline Racing on the Dellorto drip. Here's what I learned:

If the drip is coming from the tube in the middle of the bore (mine is), then it’s either, worn needle & seat, the float, float setting or high fuel pressure.

If gas is appearing down on the throttle plate, then the drip is coming out of the “progression holes” at the bottom. Lead plug is leaking.

Best way to check the float is to weigh it. It’s rare for Dellorto floats to go bad (from his long experience).

Dellorto drip can also be caused by a defective fuel pump. Best way to eliminate that possibility is to put a gauge on the line while running. Fuel pressure (can’t be more than 3.5 psi).

Apparently VW had a fuel cut-off diaphragm prior to 1971 as part of the fuel pump. To stop the fuel from gravity feeding the Carb./Carb's. when the engine is off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi all, please slow down, I ride the short bus. I love this new responses. I friend of mine has followed my advice all the way. I talked him into going mild hipo. I suggested Dells over Webers. He bought a set of 40s from a guy in Hiwaii. Truly the one sold should have been given awar, with a warning of all of the things wrong. The pics sent, they look worth the 600.00. But what he got for real was $hit. It look like both bores had swolled hard object (deep gouges). I just hate the hard time we are having.

There is a bright lite shinning on the possible fix-problem.

I need to pin this down, if possible.

1. My dells drip internally, by way of the Auxllary discharge nozzle even at idle
2. There is no external gas leaks, only internally, are we still on the same page?
3. Did the lead plug fix the drip?
4. Lastly, Big thanks to everyone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Drip Reply with quote

other guys wrote:

Have had an email exchange with David Hogarth at Blackline Racing on the Dellorto drip. Here's what I learned:

If the drip is coming from the tube in the middle of the bore (mine is), then it’s either, worn needle & seat, the float, float setting or high fuel pressure.

Best way to check the float is to weigh it. It’s rare for Dellorto floats to go bad (from his long experience).

Dellorto drip can also be caused by a defective fuel pump. Best way to eliminate that possibility is to put a gauge on the line while running. Fuel pressure (can’t be more than 3.5 psi).

^^this is correct.... if it's dripping from the nozzle then it is due to the fuel level inside being too high.

Check and verify
-2-3.5 PIS fuel pressure
-needle and seat assembly tightened
-needle and seat not worn out or stuck
-float level set correctly (about 6-7mm closed)
-float ok (not sunk, stuck, broken) can check weight, I forget the value sorry
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Drip Reply with quote

modok wrote:
other guys wrote:

We, changed the needle and seat, ours is note 170.
The floats are ok, they weight 10.4 grans.
Float seeing of 7mm i feel would give a high fuel setting, but either 7mm or 13mm did both; didn't matter.
Question, so the picture of the passage is for external fuel leaks only?
Please note not matter the float setting didn't matter.

^^this is correct.... if it's dripping from the nozzle then it is due to the fuel level inside being too high.

Check and verify
-2-3.5 PIS fuel pressure
-needle and seat assembly tightened
-needle and seat not worn out or stuck
-float level set correctly (about 6-7mm closed)
-float ok (not sunk, stuck, broken) can check weight, I forget the value sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
indeed it's madness, but if I don't do it who will?
Here goes...........

The plug in it's natural habitat!

In this picture, where does the mains get there fuel from?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this picture the fuel path is the green lines. Holes in bottom of float chamber feed the main jet.

The only way the main nozzle will drip is too high fuel level, so you must check again your inlet needles and fuel pressure
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
I got my new inlet valves from dellorto uk yesterday. These are much better than what was in there (which was in turn much better than the cb performance part). The old valves had 3 mm of play after the spring action in the plungers, and the new ones only 1mm.

I took gprudenciop's advice, as we'd spoken, to set the floats EXACTLY as in Tomlinson 5.5 from the top, 12.5 from the bottom on both sides, and the drip has stopped! (and it also seems to run Smile )

-oh, the 3rd screw, in case I ever need to do this, is for the top, the lead plug next to the idle air inlet hole, if you drill that, you can look down it with flashlight and have an idea of where you are; you don't want to go too far. blue threadlocker to seal. Hopefully I won't have to attempt this anytime soon.

Hi, the two adjustments,5.5 and 12.5 float settings. I only note one tab to make adjustment to,where is the second adjusting point?
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
In this picture the fuel path is the green lines. Holes in bottom of float chamber feed the main jet.

The only way the main nozzle will drip is too high fuel level, so you must check again your inlet needles and fuel pressure

Behind the plug, if fuel gets by into the mains, can the cause the auxiliary nozzle to drip.

Fuel pressure set to 3.5
Float drop it 13mm, how do I set the 7mm height?
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Behind the plug, if fuel gets by into the mains, can the cause the auxiliary nozzle to drip.

Fuel pressure set to 3.5
Float drop it 13mm, how do I set the 7mm height?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effvee wrote:

no

The float is set so the fuel needle is closed at 6-7mm from lid.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
effvee wrote:

no

The float is set so the fuel needle is closed at 6-7mm from lid.

Evil or Very Mad back to the drawing board.

On the float there is only one tab adjustment, how can it be used to get the 6-7mm float height and the 13mm drop setting. Or an I over thinking this and should be going for only the 6-7mm float height?

Sorry for asking the same questions,I said that I ride the short bus; and this thing is causing me to go crazy.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To adjust closed level you just bend the tab the needle sits on.

The tab for adjusting drop is by the float pivot, the one opposite the side with the inlet needle, and contacts the cast "leg" of the lid that supports the float pivot.

I have never measured any float drop........it's not a critical thing. If it looks right then it is ok.
Some guys think you can get more fuel flow if you have more drop....but
If adjusted to allow too much drop the " tab" can interfere with the side of the float bowl.........not allowing the float to move properly!

Cb advised that instead of adjusting for more drop, rather simply cut off these tabs........and that does work ok, but if they are cut off then you must remember to hold the carb upside-down when taking apart, otherwise the float jams.

If you cannot discover how it is set.........do you think the tabs have been cut off???

Last edited by modok on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now it make sense. I'll make them 7mm.

Can't say thanks enough.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing. Now....this isn't necessarily a good idea........but.....used to do this with the little small engine carbs all the time.

To make sure a the float is working, you can put a length of new hose on it, and hold upside-down and suck on it and stick your tongue on the end and it should hold vac. Put the carb rightside up and it should release.

That worked fine back when I didn't mind the taste of gasoline Shocked
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dell Drip Reply with quote

effvee wrote:
modok wrote:

We, changed the needle and seat, ours is note 170.
sorry

That sounds like the cb perfomance needle valve - the stock one and the viton tipped ones I got from dellorto uk were both 1.5. I couldn't get the needle valves from cb performance to work at all. There is too much slop in the plunger. Getting it to close would make it not open, setting it so it would open would make it not close.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had problems with the CB needle valves. I ended up putting the old ones back in and the booster leak stopped.

Ive recently used some empi dell kits and the viton needle valve seems to be doing its job and holding up so far.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I also had problems with the CB needle valves. I ended up putting the old ones back in and the booster leak stopped.

Ive recently used some empi dell kits and the viton needle valve seems to be doing its job and holding up so far.

I did not know EMPI was selling dell rebuild kits. I have had a hard time finding viton tipped needle and seats and have also had trouble with some of the new ones I have gotten. Got a part number by chance?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: