Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum High top design
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which hightop version is the best?
I like version 1
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
I like version 2
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
I like version 3
39%
 39%  [ 40 ]
I like version 4
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
I like version 5
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
I like version 6
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 101

3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

I figured it made sense to start different thread on this high top redesign discussion. There seems to be some serious interest in the idea of a custom aluminum high top and Id like to see where this goes.

Given all the great ideas proposed so far, it may be possible to design, dare I say, The Perfect High top.

My background is in the design and construction of aluminum boats in the PNW. I have access to alum, router cutting and welders. A small production run of these tops is a very viable option.

To start things off, Ive sketched up some initial ideas for your consideration:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 and 8 would be nicest, as they appear to be more shorter and thus more aerodynamic, and look pleasing to the eye, 3 and 4 look a lot better than 5 and 1, 5 being sort of ugly, but I have been known to have bad tastes, so don't take it personal like.

How tall is the man you have in the drawings?

could you make the designs a bit wider for even more room? maybe a little wider at the base and less taper?

Will the roof of the van be removed, or will the vans opening to the high top be just part way like a sun roof? If opened all the way, that will offer more utility, but there may be steps needed to be taken to reinforce the van, as the stock roof does have beams that I think l\help re-enforce the tops of the sides of the van.

Aluminum would be a nice choice of material.

would the aluminum be smooth or have you considered a corregated wall/roof for strength? although that may take from the looks.

On number 6 the poptop version, maybe have soft side like canvass, of maybe consider folding aluminum side panels, using hinges??? or maybe rigid fiberglass rather than canvas??? that would be pretty unique, and really make this stand out form the Westy's and their soft canvas popup sides.

Nice ideas you have here
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm...

What happened to your original highroof with the nice round front aerodynamic design? With a little recess for the rest of the basket? Like 2 to 4 inches lower than the front (no more please!) and the basket top part is level with the front surface. That was very close to perfect... Huhhhh... To me... Embarassed Embarassed

Just taking out the rear adventurwagen "shark" look desing from your original one was enough for me. Wink

Sorry, i cannot pick any of these here. I don't like at all the diferent levels of the top surface, lower at the back like the tiberine, or lower at the front like the westfalia highroof, not for me... Too '80 s design I think personally... Embarassed Embarassed
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What happened to your original highroof with the nice round front aerodynamic design? With a little recess for the rest of the basket?"

number 7 down

number 7 up

This one? My original, and favorite as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aluminium over composite?
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dig wrote:
"What happened to your original highroof with the nice round front aerodynamic design? With a little recess for the rest of the basket?"

number 7 down

number 7 up

This one? My original, and favorite as well.

YES!!!!!!!!
Just my personal preference, don't do the rear "shark" adventurewagen thingny...

You can edit you first post and add this 7th option for the next viewers... I could not vote yet too...
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
2 and 8 would be nicest, as they appear to be more shorter and thus more aerodynamic, and look pleasing to the eye, 3 and 4 look a lot better than 5 and 1, 5 being sort of ugly, but I have been known to have bad tastes, so don't take it personal like.

no offence taken! keep the comments comming!

How tall is the man you have in the drawings? 72" tall

could you make the designs a bit wider for even more room? maybe a little wider at the base and less taper?

yes I was thinking the same thing.

Will the roof of the van be removed, or will the vans opening to the high top be just part way like a sun roof? If opened all the way, that will offer more utility, but there may be steps needed to be taken to reinforce the van, as the stock roof does have beams that I think l\help re-enforce the tops of the sides of the van.

This remains to be decided. A few of the versions use the stock opening in the westy, however, I can see this as a retrofit on a tin top. In that case, it would be owners choice as to cut what needs to be cut and reinforce as required.

Aluminum would be a nice choice of material.

I thinks so.

would the aluminum be smooth or have you considered a corregated wall/roof for strength? although that may take from the looks.

personally, Im not a fan of corregated. I like smooth, with nice radius bends, and dime welds.

On number 6 the poptop version, maybe have soft side like canvass, of maybe consider folding aluminum side panels, using hinges??? or maybe rigid fiberglass rather than canvas??? that would be pretty unique, and really make this stand out form the Westy's and their soft canvas popup sides.

The cross hatching is supposed to illustrate canvas, sorry for the confusion

Nice ideas you have here
Thanks for the input!
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Why aluminium over composite?

I have no direct experience with composite.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been planning to make my own fixed aluminum top. I don't want sleeping quarters up there so smaller is fine, even preferred. I want some standing room and upper storage inside to the front and to the rear. I'm willing to take inside height of only 70", enough to change clothes and use the kitchen. Opening side windows required.

Mark
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reimo is another good example.

http://westyventures.com/images/highroofs/6299_3.JPG

Here's more on a Weinsberg: (a little ways down the page)
http://10fronterasfotofurgo.wordpress.com/category/instalacion-techo-vw-t3/

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I don't vote version 3 is because it is too similar to the top that North American High Tops sold/is going to sell again.

The faux joker, on the otherhand, is an awesome design that is not available to anyone stateside.

Version 4 baby!
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: high top Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus X-2 The Reimo is another good example. This is the one I like! Very Happy If I can't have that one then a AW top! Third choice # 4
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that Reimo is pretty much on the mark. Wonder how it would look in aluminum???? stay tuned
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I have been planning to make my own fixed aluminum top. I don't want sleeping quarters up there so smaller is fine, even preferred. I want some standing room and upper storage inside to the front and to the rear. I'm willing to take inside height of only 70", enough to change clothes and use the kitchen. Opening side windows required.

Mark

Id be glad to help if your interested...
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 for sure
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my limited knowledge, but isn't aluminum quite expensive? Would you be looking at >$2-3k for a top?
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
Pardon my limited knowledge, but isn't aluminum quite expensive? Would you be looking at >$2-3k for a top?

figure around 2.00/lb for raw plate. + .60/lb for cutting...I dont know what the composite top goes for, but the major benefit is I can do each top custom order...no expensive mold needed. Plus aluminum can be cut and mended easily...There are drawbacks of course.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dig wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that Reimo is pretty much on the mark. Wonder how it would look in aluminum???? stay tuned

It's gonna be pretty hard to get the nice flowing lines with welded aluminum.
Another construction method to consider vs the aluminum sheets or the work of building molds for fiberglass composite tops is wood strip building.
There are some beautiful kayaks and canoes that have been built this way.
You still need to build a frame and strong-back onto which the shell is built but this process is much simpler than a mold.
You can also make more than one top from the frame/strong-back.
After all the wood strips are laid up, the shell is reinforced with fiberglass and coated with gel or epoxy. It would end up looking really nice.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
rsbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need to be able to do is to slide long surfboards, say up to 10' long, into the top somehow. I dont think going through the side door will work so...Maybe a window/door like on the back of a typical truck shell. That'd be sweet!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

The Reimo is by far the best looking hitop out of any I've seen. It's a shame they didn't sell them in the US
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: