Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Plastic Fresh Air Hoses
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Black Plastic Fresh Air Hoses Reply with quote

Hey all. I'd like to find out if anyone has had any problems with the black plastic fresh air hoses. I have personally used the Gene Berg GB929 hoses with exceptional results, meaning those hoses have lasted me well over 10 years. A friend who runs a shop informed me that the cheaper $3.00 ones will melt. Can anyone verify this? Thanks in advance, Bill
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean for breathers right? That Goodyear stuff works fine. There's nothing in the engine compartment that's hot enough to melt those hoses. If something is that hot, then you've got a problem.

My personal fav is that gray braided cloth O.E. stuff.

Don't use the Goodyear stuff for full flow.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means the big accordian ones that connect the heater boxes to the channels on the pan..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Plastic Fresh Air Hoses Reply with quote

I use the SCAT ones and they work fine. Stiffer than the Berg ones, but work fine and won't melt under any "normal" engine temps. The RH hose needs to be shortened an inch or 2 to prevent a kink, but other than that install is cake. Highly recommended.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: hose Reply with quote

If you run HE and sidewinder header it is a biatch to get ANY hose past the deck and on the HE.The hose is all over the header, so I run csp stainless and no burn or roast.A purpose built fixture that fit the HE and received the hose out of the roasting area is on my list...right behind digging a new sewer line and gutters on my home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all who replied. The hose I am referring to is the approx. 2" dia hose from the fan shroud to the stock muffler or through the rear tin to the heater boxes. Thanks John, Scat is local to me and will recon this out. I had seen some no marking plastic tubes at Pomona as well as some shops and they were very stiff to flex into the arc needed to install. Thanks again, Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: