Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1700 CB Distributor Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: 1700 CB Distributor Question Reply with quote

My current bus came with a 009 as they seem to, and I've never been impressed. I see that according to old volks home I should have the 205E but am having a hard time finding one. Any harm in running one of the other 205 distributors?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "205" distributor was manufactured in 1965 and there are over 100 variations of the "205" used in VW's. So, yes it matters.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr.bones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a electronic single vacume advance from oriellys ands its awesome on my 1800 and besides the 009 retards a few degress on #3 cyclinder,and yes I also was not impressed on a type 1 engine its fine,but the type 4 engine needs a single vacume advance like it came from the factory,it was good then and should be now.i have had no problems with the one from oreillys,its better than the crappy hei kits here or the petronix ones,besides everything on it is new and warrantied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The first "205" distributor was manufactured in 1965 and there are over 100 variations of the "205" used in VW's. So, yes it matters.

Glad to hear an expert chime in.
-Are there some close options, perhaps from other 1700 engines? Perhaps 205J or N?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr.bones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget the specific #'s but for example the difference is either single vacume advance or dual vacume advance,basically the 205 stays the same its just the end is diiferent.but ones thing for sure I love the distributor its built by a company that specialiizes in foreign like Hondas,toyota,mitsubishi,etc but it really is the way to go,its only $100 and it comes with a coil as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi these are in the classifieds. Good Luck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1464799
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the specs on your distributor at old volks. Ask if you need help understanding the numbers. Make sure whether it is a SVDA or DVDA, and that you still have the same ported vacuum sources as when the bus was new. For example - if the bus came with dual carbs and a SVDA, do you have the same dual carbs and vacuum setup. If not then even if you got the correct distributor it might not work right because it relies on vacuum signals from the carb(s) that tell it how far to advance.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a weber dfav for right now. Is the stock 205E still a good choice?
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OG was a 205P
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:

no Sad
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
shiningstar76 wrote:

no Sad

Care to elaborate?
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ported vacuum Wink
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have a plugged hose stub, which i can only assume to be a vacuum port. The dgev in my brat has one as well. Any other reason?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

205E is DVDA
Quote:
Distributor: VW 021-905-205E, Bosch 0231 173 005
Timing Set At:: 5deg ATDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe, vacuum hose(s) connected
Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8-12deg Adv, 11-15deg Ret; Centrifugal: 13-16deg @ 2000rpm, 23-26deg @ 3600 rpm

Let's compare a 1975-78 FI bus with SVDA. All number maximums. Initial is 7.5, mechanical is 24.5 @3400, and VAC is 11 = 43 degrees advance in the worst circumstances. FYI - this is too much advance and it causes the engine to run hot so we back it off actually to about 39 or 40 degrees total (28 or 29 at full in + 11)

Now the 205E. Initial is ?? because you don't have the original setup so let's say 7.5 to make it idle smooth+ mechanical 26 @ 3600 + 12 vacuum = 45.5 max. The FI bus will have near identical mixtures while the progressive will be leaner on 2 of the cylinders when in cruise. Burning or scuffing a piston may be in your life if you hook up the ported vacuum. You'll have to set the initial timing back to about 2 degrees BTDC and that will leave you with a flat spot coming off idle.

That is why. Look for a SVDA and time it 28 BTDC at 3600 RPM with the advance hose off. Then add ported vacuum. If that vacuum is not ported (make sure it is before you buy a SVDA) get a genuine German Bosch mechanical advance distributor with timings for a driven bus and not an industrial engine that is constant speed.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget, comparing one SVDA to another SVDA is like comparing one 009 to another 009.

Or go this route better than both...

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2013
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The FI bus will have near identical mixtures while the progressive will be leaner on 2 of the cylinders when in cruise. Burning or scuffing a piston may be in your life if you hook up the ported vacuum. You'll have to set the initial timing back to about 2 degrees BTDC and that will leave you with a flat spot coming off idle.

The vast majority of progressive set ups run too rich on all cylinders. If someone has jetted their carb rich enough to get rid of the off idle bog then fuel wash is probably way more likely to be a problem than running lean. These engine run just fine with an initial of 7.5*, plus 20-22* of centrifugal and ~12* of vacuum advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of depends on the distributor because the DFAV makes alot of vacuum on the advance nipple even at idle, the 77-79 021 905 205P is likely the better stock choice as it's already designed to operate off plenum vacuum but then again the midrange curves may be way off. I used to have a Pinto motor that had what looked like a Bosch DVDA distributor on it, I wonder what the specs for that one were as it had a Weber progressive clone of some sort on it right from Ford.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: