Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I-4 conv. 1.8 Head Removal - Suggested Tools for boneyard ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: I-4 conv. 1.8 Head Removal - Suggested Tools for boneyard ? Reply with quote

Hey folks. My local boneyard has a couple MKII's that I want to strip the heads off.

I'm hoping to come armed with the tools I need to remove the head and complete inj systems.

I haven't purchased a Bentley for the MKII's yet and I'm hoping for some advice on yanking the head / injection from these 2 cars. 87 Jetta and 89 Golf.

Can any of you please share your experience if you've wrenched on these heads before ? I was hoping maybe that if the exh. down pipe was rotted or cut I could remove the whole head with the manifolds still attached Smile
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawzall for the exhaust.
I usually just cut the timing belts with a razor knife
and a 10mm triplesquare (like a CV socket) for the head bolts.
or was it a 10mm hex/allen? I'd bring both if you have them.
Oh and a long breaker bar.. like the $15one from harbor freight..

doesn't take much really. just time and to carefully strip out the entire fuel injection harness. the ECu is under the rain tray by the wipers.

my experiance was that the 89 jetta wolfsburg harness was mucho easier than the 89 golf (mexico) as the jetta wolfie was independant and the golf was twisted in with the front grill harness. (headlights,horn,signals,fan etc)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only special tool is the triple-square for the head bolts, everything else is standard 10/12/13/15mm wrench/socket and a 6mm allen driver for the intake manifold bolts. If either one is CIS and you want to pull the injectors you'll need a special tool or a pair of vicegrips and some luck .. they get stuck pretty good sometimes.

I've pulled those heads a time or three.. Rolling Eyes
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Thanks ! Reply with quote

Well, I certainly wouldn't have been prepared for the triple square head bolts !

D'oh. I'll have to check out my local Princess Auto ( Harbour Freight Canada style ) to see what they got.

Both are Digifant. Been a while since I played with CIS from my 924 days.

The Jetta is an 87 Flair. The Golf is up 8ft off the ground sitting on top of an abandoned forklift Smile That should be fun, easy to get the exhaust off though !...

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 12mm triple square for the head bolts.
Jeff
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff !

Princess Auto had an asst 6mm to 18mm 1/2" bit set on for 8 bucks so I think I'm covered for all my triple square needs for a long time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: