Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiamma Knock Off Awning
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Fiamma Knock Off Awning Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these. Has anyone seen these before or have any additional info on them. It looks similar to the fiamma f35 from the pictures doesn't it? They are $399 on Amazon for any size with free shipping. I hope it mounts up to the vanagon Very Happy

http://www.amazon.com/Camper-Awning-Retractable-Trailer-Blue/dp/B00DJ7O85O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_11

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! Added it to my wish list.

If it doesn't fit directly, I know it could be made to fit with a set of the GoWesty awning brackets.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREE SHIPPING! On a unit that size, that is a hell of a bonus. G.W. Fiamma costs $200 just to ship it.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, but what's even better, it is free 2-day shipping. It'll be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime.

I was tempted to get the 10 footer because it is the same price, $399. But I think 8 foot fits the van better. I found the 8 footer on Sears.com for $678 so I think this is a great deal, especially if you want the bigger one.
http://www.sears.com/aleko-camper-rv-awning-8ft-x-...ockType=G3
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: $399 awning Reply with quote

Looking forward to a review Smile . I was planning on the ARB, but this looks like a good alternative.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi-

With the 8ft'r you can secure the feet to the side of the van if you'd like.

The 10ft'r extends over the passenger front door and the only place to secure the front footing to the body would be the wheel well, a no go.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reasonably priced retractable awning! Shocked

watching
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsplat wrote:
Fyi-

Great find. The 10ft'r extends over the passenger front door and the only place to secure the front footing to the body would be the wheel well, a no go.

How important is this? I've never used a fiamma, but I'd imagine it would be free standing most of the time and anchored to the ground when needed. A line to the van might get in the way, no?
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's personal preference really, not something overly important but worth noting.
Some folks like to secure the feet to the body to get them out of way of camping space, anchor them in wind, and have a freestanding awning free of guylines. It adds a little more versatility to your setup options.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsplat wrote:
Fyi-

The 10ft'r extends over the passenger front door and the only place to secure the front footing to the body would be the wheel well, a no go.

unless you mount the awning a bit towards the back, the awning sticks out the back of the van a bit but you can mount the front foot to the outside of the B pillar. GoWesty used to have pics showing this, they changed them now to Eurovan pics only.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
kirsplat wrote:
Fyi-

unless you mount the awning a bit towards the back, the awning sticks out the back of the van a bit but you can mount the front foot to the outside of the B pillar.GoWesty used to have pics showing this, they changed them now to Eurovan pics only. Check the video.

My Fiamma is mounted this way. The legs rotate so they angle in a bit for the feet to slide into the mounts.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, you can opt to offset the awning towards the rear but aesthetically its not my cup of tea.
Madeouttaglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are blue and multistripe the only options?
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Your right, but what's even better, it is free 2-day shipping. It'll be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime.

I was tempted to get the 10 footer because it is the same price, $399. But I think 8 foot fits the van better. I found the 8 footer on Sears.com for $678 so I think this is a great deal, especially if you want the bigger one.
http://www.sears.com/aleko-camper-rv-awning-8ft-x-...ockType=G3

Would love to know awning weight as part of your review Wink

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the larger 10' long fiamma awning. It basically mounts and covers from the rear engine vents of the Van to about 2\3's of the way over front passenger side door. It provides good coverage. I do not prefer the awning side mounts that screw to the Van, I have had them on other Vans and it seems that someone always walks into them or you need to go around or under it to get to the front passenger door access. It also seems that when asking a helper to insert or remove the legs someone always scratches the Vans paint.

I just simply use the legs when the awning is fully extended. But you can easily open the awnings 3-4 foot and it's self supporting and works great to provide sun or rain cover over the sider etc to keep those areas dry. As for holding the awning in place it comes with some small tent like hold down steaks which I'll use sometimes simply to help from someone bumping the leg suppot out of place, but for windy conditions I picked up some small screw in hold downs that I simply attach the cord to the top of the awning frame and twist the cord around the leg and screw the anchor into the ground at the bottom of the leg this way there's nothing to trip over and trust me they hold better then super glue.

BTW a friend of mine picked up one of these amazon clones and when our Westys are side by side it's really tuff to tell the difference which is which..
They are made well and at half the price well worth it...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeouttaglass wrote:
Are blue and multistripe the only options?

It looks like they have a few colors; Sand, Blue, Burgundy, Greenish Stripes but not in every size. This looks like the full list of what they have on Amazon right now. Some are 10x8 and some 10x6.5, 6x5.5, even an 11.5x6.5 and the one I got 8x6.5 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck...1385045454

DubNuts wrote:
BTW a friend of mine picked up one of these amazon clones and when our Westys are side by side it's really tuff to tell the difference which is which..

That is great to hear.

The company is new (2009) from Kent WA. I do not see these listed on their website, so maybe this is a new product or a close-out. I would guess close-out since they are all the same low $399 price. They only show a few left in various sizes and it doesn't say more on the way like it does for a lot of products. At this price I would grab one if you want one. Or maybe someone could call Aleko and see what the deal is. It would be nice to know if these will be available in the future and what the retail price is.
http://www.alekoawning.com/aboutus.asp

unplannedbbq wrote:

Would love to know awning weight as part of your review Wink

They list shipping weights on Amazon, 40 lbs for the 6.5x5 up to 57 lb for the 10x8.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled the trigger on an 8'x6.5' model in burgundy, which will somewhat match my van colour (Titian Red), and not completely contrast with my grey 3-window tent (maybe).

Will have to figure out mounting brackets (top), and potentially body brackets (for legs).
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a deal! Looks good to me.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this thread. Just ordered the 8ft Blue one.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: