Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 80, 81, 82  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy, I'am paintstripping again Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

windowframes have the same colour as the part below the beltline,
some I am pretty positive it was a one colour bus...
But which colour do I have,

it's not mango, is it light grey?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

light gray, L345, only came in solid, no two-tone. you check your m-code plate to see what the factory color was?
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at this picture

it could be light grey Smile
and especially when I look at this on

I have exactly the same light primer under dark primer under OG paint

thanks!

Most grey busses on the site/on picture look quite different in colour, but the one above matches pretty good I think
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for opinions as I've learned a lot here buffing out my other bus and my Vespa. I'm buying this bus pictured. So my question is do you Towerpaint match the Mouse Grey paint over the fire damage to blend it, CLR, sand and buff or burry the damage in clear coat? I'm leaning towards clear because it's coming to humid Florida. What would you do if you were me?

Last edited by KILLERWATT on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the engine fire scars, but I'm weird like that.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my '66 deluxe "school bus". I don't have this bus for sale in any way, but I had a really nice fellow just randomly stop by the other day looking for a splitwindow. After he looked at everything I had he said he was interested in the red/white one. This got me to thinking I should price it to him. Then he mentioned stripping it down to repaint it Shocked , that was the deal-breaker. I think I'll just hang onto it, because I just love driving this one.

splitwindowsyndicate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Got my engine hatch on today. Reply with quote

My buddy Heart Cameron repaired the hinge mounting area on my engine hatch and saved the patina. Thanks buddy!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLERWATT wrote:
Looking for opinions as I've learned a lot here buffing out my other bus and my Vespa. I'm buying this bus pictured. So my question is do you Towerpaint match the Mouse Grey paint over the fire damage to blend it, CLR, sand and buff or burry the damage in clear coat? I'm leaning towards clear because it's coming to humid Florida. What would you do if you were me?

I love the look of this bus, it tells it's story. If you like the look of it as well, you could maybe consider a clear coat with a flattening agent added. I have a '59 panel that just has traces of the original paint, it's mostly rust. It is also has remnants of old logoes from a donut shop. I'm planning on doing some sort of flat clear on it.
chiroracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do a mural on the burnt paint scars using decent paint. As if it was coming out of the jungle or sthg. Bamboo!
69 class 11 racecar
70 class 11 prerunner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, can anyone recommend a clear coat that plays nice with Tower Paint?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLERWATT wrote:
From experience, can anyone recommend a clear coat that plays nice with Tower Paint?

I would like to know the process too. From what wash to use to what clear to use. I would like to clear my OG paint too. Also how to remove the rubbing compound from the rust scabs.

~ Al, get laser wolf to sponsor and logo that beauty with laser wolf....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest project, a really crusty '59 panel. It's an old "Donut Shop" bus. I think it was originally from the Philly, PA area. I can make out part of the address and it has the word Levick in it. I googled Levick and found a Levick St. in Philly. I'd like to do some sort of clear on it to preserve the look and what is left of the old logoes. If anyone in the Philly area knows anything about an old donut shop on Levick Street I would love to hear about it. I'll probably start a build thread on it when I get ready to start on it. That may be spring or summer though, right now it's tucked away in the back of my garage for winter. Here's a pic of where it had rested for 30+ years.

RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has been posted earlier in this thread already......This is one bad ass patina SC, aged to perfection.

Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I just bought out of the classifieds,the most original paint Ohio bus I have ever seen. Metal wise it needs the front floors, rear cargo under he back seat (all the windows were shot out and water laid in the rear seat) battery tray, and one outrigger/jackpoint.

I am going to clean up the Sea Blue and go after the nose with CLR, I think we are going to have to repair and blend around the windshield frames as well, I'll know for sure when I get them out.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I kinda like the engine fire scars, but I'm weird like that.

X2

leave that shit alone. Just add some linseed oil and let the sun bake it on. apply every 6 months. Just my 2 centavos!
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more I'm thinking about trying to preserve what's left of my original paint. I have been thinking about getting some single stage color matched to pait the repair areas. What do you guys think? The PO sprayed white primer over some surface rust which i can easily remove.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:

More and more I'm thinking about trying to preserve what's left of my original paint. I have been thinking about getting some single stage color matched to pait the repair areas. What do you guys think? The PO sprayed white primer over some surface rust which i can easily remove.

IMO if your og paint is not buffed out the best way to blend paint to match you old fade is with a spray can color matched at you local automotive paint store. This is really just base coat of a 2 stage in a spray can. But it is flat and looks good on faded non-buffed out paint. New single stage looks ways to glossy unless you wet sand it to take the shine out.

The nose on this bus was clipped, the lower rocker replaced, then spay can matched. If it was single stage it would not be anywhere near the same fad.

VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLERWATT wrote:

If you're going through the trouble of clearing it, just have some mouse grey base mixed up and spray it. It will probably actually be cheaper than tower, it looks like you're going to need a lot. You will get a nicer end result as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

IMO if your og paint is not buffed out the best way to blend paint to match you old fade is with a spray can color matched at you local automotive paint store. This is really just base coat of a 2 stage in a spray can. But it is flat and looks good on faded non-buffed out paint. New single stage looks ways to glossy unless you wet sand it to take the shine out.

The nose on this bus was clipped, the lower rocker replaced, then spay can matched. If it was single stage it would not be anywhere near the same fad.

Nice Standard Sunroof! Looks great! Yeah that was kinda what I was thinking, I was going to try and buff the OG paint that is still there. I guess I'll have to see how well that comes out. It's looking pretty thin in spots. Thanks for the advice. I really want to do this as a temp thing. I think it will eventually get a proper restoration. I just want to enjoy this one for awhile before it's taken off the road. Last few cars I seemed to work on them more than enjoy them on the road. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better shots of mine. I don't know how much is going to be salvageable.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 80, 81, 82  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 82

Jump to: