Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(*&^$^$%@*!!!!!! Push Rod Tube Clips!!!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: (*&^$^$%@*!!!!!! Push Rod Tube Clips!!!! Reply with quote

Does anyone, anyone have a picture of how theirs went in? I spent two hours last night effing with them, and I am going to set fire to my garage if I spend another nanosecond trying to get them in there. If I get them to weave around the rocker arm "seats," then they don't rest against the push rod tubes as they are supposed to do. If I get them resting against the push rod tubes, they want to sit on the "seats" where the rocker arms are supposed to tighten up, which keeps the rocker arms from sitting where they should. Son of a #$@$^*&##$!!!! Bentley has a picture about the size of a pinhead "showing" how they are supposed to go in. Believe me, I don't know if there is a "Mr. Bentley," but I would have kicked his know-it-all butt last night if he had been in my garage with me.

Whew! I feel better now.

thanks for putting up with my rant, and Randy, you already know what a knucklehead i am, so this post should not surprise you.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing the rocker assembly WITH the wire retainer. I've had good luck installing both as a group. You can hold the wire along side the head and figure out how it's positioned as it's bent at one end corresponding to the bend in the head. The wire rests under the rocker assembly in the slots. Been there and cussed that wire before.
Good luck.
Hopefully, someone will post an illustration for you since it's hard to describe...
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't really need them. just a nice smooth bead of silicone on the bottom of your pr tubes on the head side will do the trick.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend against silicone due to the possiblity that it can dislodge and find its way into the galleries like a thrombosis. These engines have a lot of horizontal expansion/contraction movement that is best controlled by the serpentine spring. Do as VWBusRepairman suggested and get the spring lodged in the downward facing rocker support grooves as you bring the rocker shaft to its seat. Before you wrench down the 11mm nuts have a look to see that the pushrod tube ends of the spring are butting the pushrod tube edge. When you do the remaining rocker shaft , there is a little tight spot as you snap the already installed spring under the rocker support now coming in closest to the one that is already there, but it will work out OK. A light coating of oil on the cleancleanclean guaranteed round pushrod tubes' o-rings and bores is all that is needed for reliable sealing.
Colin
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, fat chicks don't need any more silicone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
Remember, fat chicks don't need any more silicone.

How about a nice thin coating of grease around the o-ring to insure that she slides in easily? Lubrication & penetration makes the sensation! Twisted Evil
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I took some nice, clean motor oil, put it in a can, swished each end of the push rod tube with brandy-new seal already installed all around in the oil, and those puppies popped in there like butter dripping off a hot biscuit. No cutting of the seals, no wrestling, and the fit is nice and snug and made a little popping sound when each of them went in. (By the way, the sexual references are starting to make me queasy). Anyway, I really appreciate the info. I see now that one of my problems was trying to get the clip to sit perfectly before putting in the rocker arms.
General consensus seemed to be to stay away from anything but a coat of oil. The last putz who was in there smeared about four gallons of RTV all around the outside of the pushrod seal area while they were still installed in an attempt to stop the thing from leaking - luckily, the RTV stayed on the outside of the tubes and head, which was probably the only thing that saved him from sitting beside the highway somewhere in East Podunk with a toasty engine. I think my poor bus has withstood enough of an onslaught from on owner who had an obsession with wacky sealants. I'd best follow the original VW plan.
Here I go - I'll let you know how it turns out.
mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: