Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'86 Weekender Purchase Advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: '86 Weekender Purchase Advice Reply with quote

I hate to do this, as I imagine a "what do you think it's worth" post is just about the most irritating first post imaginable, but here goes:

I sold my old '87 tiptop (here on The Samba) about five years ago or so, and have always regretted it. My wife and I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, and we loved heading towards a trailhead after work, arriving late at night, and being able to crash on the bed and hit the trail first thing in the AM.

So I have been keeping my eye out for a van for awhile (with the lady's permission). Budget is a major factor, but I enjoy tinkering, and have a buddy who is a mechanic and is happy to trade me wrenching time for time in my recording studio- so something that needs work is a-ok. My ideal vehicle is a Weekender (I'm not interested in the stove/fridge), though obviously they are significantly more expensive than tintops.

An old friend of mine has an '86 Weekender that has been sitting for about four years. He parked it after a trip where he had to have an emergency repair on the exhaust, and was having issues shifting from 3rd to 4th. The engine was running ok, but is original with 170,000 miles, so is likely to need help soon.

We went to visit the van today. The top is filthy, but there are no cracks, so I think with a major cleaning and some paint it would be solid. There are no leaks in either the poptop or skylight. The tent is a solid, original one window. The van has pock marks of rust, but only very, very minimal seam rust. The wheel wells and under the rubber step were solid as was the undercarriage. The one worrisome rust spot was in the lower corner of the passenger side of the windshield where there is a spot that will require immediate attention. around the gaskets of the rest of the windows looked solid.

The interior is the brown corduroy, and is in the shape you would expect. Other than the upholstery, the interior is is good shape (table, carpets, cupholders all clean and correct).

The engine compartment looked a lot cleaner than on my old '87, and I believe the vehicle was pretty well maintained until it's issues and a lack of funds left it in a four year slumber.

So, I'm trying to figure out what/if I should offer for this thing. I know the adage that a cheap van can be the most expensive van, but again, I'm excited to have something to work on. I figure the bare minimum it will need immediately is:

-New exhaust
-New Tires
-Drop tank for inspection/replacement
-Replace fuel lines
-I am going on the assumption it will need the manual transmission rebuilt.
-Rust remediation around windshield
-and of course, an engine might not be far behind

It seems like finding a reasonably priced Weekender to spruce up is getting to be harder, so I am pretty tempted to work something out here. We are old friends, so I want to come up with something that would be fair to both of us. If anyone has any input as to value, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ryan
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all new plastic to replace the crumbly "Chinese Drywall" brown plastic in an '86
(don't ask me how I know)
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under $5,000. Going to take a lot to get it into shape.

$3,000 is what I'd pay myself.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's a real friend, have him check hot oil pressure & compression or leakdown before you even talk money.

You have a tranny ready to granade due to 3-4 slider failure; if it pops on you, you lose another $500 core value.

The engine is already past the point that many start to stretch rod bolts & granade. Hot OP at idle is the best clue to this.

Details now; talk money later.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... many thanks for the responses!

dhaavers wrote:
If he's a real friend, have him check hot oil pressure & compression or leakdown before you even talk money.

:snip:

Details now; talk money later.

This makes sense to me, though I had envisioned not trying to start the van until I had drained/checked/replaced the tank. I guess I could drain all of the old (presumably bad?) gas, oil and other fluids in situ and then try to get it started. He was tossing around the idea of $4k, which seems a bit high for the level of work necessary, but then prices of vans are jumping (though nowhere near as badly as SF housing! Ouch...).

Thanks again!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has to do with what your expectations are for the van. Do you want to return it to "as new" condition? Or are you ok with the rust marks and faded paint knowing you're having fun inside the van. If you aren't one who needs to fully restore the van, then the cosmetics won't cost you a lot of money. More can be spent on mechanics. Everyone freaks out about rust, which will eventually be a big problem, but you could easily get 10+ years down the road and not have to worry about it. If you have to have a cherry van in the end, then you will spend a lot of money. If function is your main concern, then you can get by and let it be for a lot less.

I would think somewhere in the $3k area would be a good deal for a pop top van with unknown mechanical conditions.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
A lot has to do with what your expectations are for the van. Do you want to return it to "as new" condition? Or are you ok with the rust marks and faded paint knowing you're having fun inside the van.

I am definitely a function before form kind of guy- I can live with it being a funky looking ride, but I'll make it as nice as I can. I'm also not really a car guy- I just somehow have always adored Vanagons. Thanks for the input...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
all new plastic to replace the crumbly "Chinese Drywall" brown plastic in an '86
(don't ask me how I know)

Hmmmmm, mine is an 86 with Brown plastic in great shape..... The corduroy seat covers? Another story!

I wonder if the South Western Hellish Sun plays a role in its rapid deterioration?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave!
Your '86 rebuild thread has been a hoot for me to read, and is one of the many Samba threads that inspired my rust checking today....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Dave!
Your '86 rebuild thread has been a hoot for me to read, and is one of the many Samba threads that inspired my rust checking today....

Thanks!
I'm finding that if you buy it cheap....... Triple the purchase price just in parts to get it in decent shape. If you do an engine swap or a quality tencent engine..... There goes yet another 8-10 grand!

If the body is solid and hasn't any signs of a killer hit in its past, not running..... $3000 max! Maybe more if it's in near perfect shape but you need a rebuilt /replaced power train..... The whole thing!

Choose wisely, post many photos if you purchase it!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traced my Van's ownership, and it has always been in oregon, so can't have had much SW sun.

OTOH, it has no rust.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Oregon for 10 years...... Maybe it is rotting from too much moisture and too little Sun! Wink

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp-
We were able to come out to a very fair agreement that involved partial trade, so I am now the happy owner of an '86 Westy Weekender! I have a buddy who is going to help me with the transmission when he gets back into town in the middle of December. I am hoping to head down to the storage unit to take care of some of the basic stuff- cleaning, fuel lines, upholstery, etc in the meantime.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll snap some shots when I can...
Some people call him Maurice...
Uncle Lon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought home an '86 Weekender as well. I flew out to Flagstaff for it and drove it home, so it obviously wasn't in too bad shape. Leaking water pump, bad battery and lots of 'deferred maintenance' items. NO rust, NO major body damage. Still, I'm into it for almost 4 grand before I even begin restoration, which I figger will cost at least another $6K to $8K, and that's if the engine is as good as I think.

I have a pretty high standard for my Westies, but still call them 'functional restorations' and don't expect any to win Best of Show at Pebble Beach. However, there are just LOTS of things which seem little but which are expensive to fix. (They have a framed photo of me, over at Bus Depot and GoWesty both, with the caption, 'Our Financial Future'.) For example, I've seen a bunch of vans which are touted to be 'original and perfect'. But remember that anything from 1986 is now 27 years old - and so are all the rubber and plastic components. 'Great' seats have 27 year-old rubber foundations, there are plastic gizmos and parts in the gauges, etc. The thing about Vanagons that is so confusing and misleading at times is that they can have about everything worn out, missing or fixing to crater, and STILL they start, run and drive pretty good. But as is proved every day, especially on this forum, you can rebuild a good Westy and it will pay you back in miles and smiles, both.

Uncle Lon
https://www.facebook.com/unclelonswesties
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: