Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Transmission shifting on the bench.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Vanagon Transmission shifting on the bench. Reply with quote

I purchased a Diesel parts van that came with 2 water-cooled 091 transmissions in the back ...

My current 86 has R&P noise and 480,000kms on it so i think it is time for replacement.

I have the two on the bench and wondered if there is anything I should be 'feeling' for by spinning the input shaft and switching through the gears to see if it is even worth trying to put in my 86 gas for a test run.

I have read up on the 3-4 slider issue and wondered what I would expect to 'feel' as I switch gears on the bench.

Both drain magnets pretty well had an equal amount of metal filings on them. Looks like a lot to me but I have no point of reference Smile ... obviously wasn't copper bushing material ...

Any tricks of the trade I can check from the bench before I commit to a tranny drop / install in my 86 ? Obviously that is the best test...
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides bench shifting each of them, remove the bellhousings and take a close look at the surface of ring gear teeth and more importantly, pinion teeth. If they were run low on oil, it will show up as R&P wear.

Can you post a photo of your drain magnets? My "Christmas Tree of Doom" sat on my workbench for weeks:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Crying or Very sad
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Ugh ! Reply with quote

Nuts, I wiped them off already.

I never pulled a plug like the one on the left however, just the 17mm hex plugs. I better hunt around through the buildup some more for the small one ... interesting ...

I'll split them at the bell-housing and take a boo then and hope the R&P at least look decent.

So, what did you find inside when you pulled out that Xmas tree of shrapnel ? Was that the end of it ??
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my situation, I was expecting what I saw on the drain plug, and was happy to have caught the problem in the nick of time (link below). Another week or two, and my R&P would have been toast. (The little drain plug is an add-on for Syncro transaxles only.)

So the spare transaxles you have are 091/1 waterboxer, just like your '86? Pick the cleaner-looking one, and make certain the pinion teeth look cherry.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534623&highlight=syncro+transaxle+service
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Isee, I wont look for that little plug then Smile

Yes, both are 091's but I don't see the /1 part so I better take more care in getting a better picture of what I really got and see if the R&P's are decent ...

There are late and early 091's as per my understanding ...
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '76-'79 091 is a nose shifter. In '80 came a side nose shifter. The '83-on 091/1 waterboxer transaxle is a side shifter (directly out the side of the main case). Just compare the trans that's in your vehicle to those sitting on the bench.

That small magnetic drain plug in my photo is added to a Syncro transaxle, right between reverse and granny gear .. not needed for a 2WD transaxle.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5

Last edited by gears on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another indicator of what you might have. The early Vanagon transmission had 3 studs for the mount bracket the later WBX transmission had 4 studs. The shifter setup is obviously different when comparing the two.

Early from an 82 diesel.

Here is a picture of my modified trans mount to fit the later trans from a WBX into my 82.

The later 091 is about an inch longer. These are all subtle differences. Many of the internals are not interchangable between early and late.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, the 2 091's I got are three bolt mounted trannys and mine in the 86 is a 4 Sad ... I hadn't noticed that at first .....

Boourns ...

Since it appears they are different animals and not really any easy chance of swapping in for a test, does anyone have any experience on if a decent R&P out of the 3 bolt 091's can be used on my 86 4 bolt tranny?

maybe I'll have to sell off the 2 091's and use the funds to get a rebuilt 4 bolt one. I know my 3/4 sliders were rebuilt but with 480,000 kms on the rest it can't be too much longer before other failures .....
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 091/1 R&P is longer than that found in the earlier 091.

091 cores are worth more than 091/1 cores these days, so selling your 091s is a good plan.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tranny is a side shift. DU code. Four bolts holding the front mount on.
Mine is an early WBX.(6/83) So does this mean I have a 91/1(early tranny) with a modded front mount like what rsxsr pictured here?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: