Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Move to Portland (or Gomer's odyssey)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Move to Portland (or Gomer's odyssey) Reply with quote

Made it to the left coast or the land of old VWs with another one to preserve.
Sadly it only made it part way under it's own power.
It started making a nasty sound just as we crossed the Mississippi.
We stopped in LaClair Iowa (home of Buffalo Bill and American Pickers)
and had to call the Calvary for a 2,000 mile tow dolly ride.
I was hoping the engine would hold out for the trip, but it didn't surprise me much when it didn't.
When I got it it needed allot of attention, then engine was a cheap short block a PO had put it four years earlier, and it wasn't put in well, and it hardly ran.
I've been keeping it going since, but I knew it was just a matter of time.
This time I have to split the case to find out what's messed up.
Anyways we made it to our new home Portland, and we look forward to playing with our Westy once more. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Portland. Your van certainly won't be lonely here!
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it over those mole hills. Looks like things could easily have gotten dicey. Mope your van likes rainy days. Wink
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gees Louise.... I thought I had packed my van on a few occasions for some moves... you guys have that thing stuffed like a turkey.... yuk yuk.. being the holiday an all.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOWZERS. The MightyArt Her and Hisself on Oregon Soil Shocked
Anything you need brother Mighty, chime in on the PDX thread or hit me up. Glad to have you here. That was quite the vanagon cram Laughing
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to get it out of Ohio, the little bit of rust it had started to get was making me sad.
Plus it holds allot more then my car, so I parked the car and took the Vanagon.
Was looking forward to working on it again after a long break, just not as soon as I got here. Wink
I haven't went out much and looked around, but when I did I saw a Vanagon, a baywindow and a baywindow single cab. all in a short trip to the grocery store, very encouraging to say the least.
I'm not to worried about the wet, beats the rust.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so before you Might Yart, but now that you are in Portland you will definitely Yart
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Anything you need brother Mighty, chime in on the PDX thread or hit me up. Glad to have you here. That was quite the vanagon cram Laughing

Me and the Girlfriend, and the girlfriend is from here, I'm the newbee to Portland. Wink
Thanks for the offer, If I were to wish for something it would be a used running short block that I could get for cheap, the cheaper the better as my budget is very low. so if you know of one let me know.
If anybody has any 2.0 gaskets or such that they don't need let me know, I'm going to start drop the engine tomorrow and find out what is wrong.
The quicker I can get it going the better. Wink
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
carterzest wrote:

Me and the Girlfriend, and the girlfriend is from here, I'm the newbee to Portland. Wink
Thanks for the offer, If I were to wish for something it would be a used running short block that I could get for cheap, the cheaper the better as my budget is very low. so if you know of one let me know.
If anybody has any 2.0 gaskets or such that they don't need let me know, I'm going to start drop the engine tomorrow and find out what is wrong.
Ahhh, of course, Miss Mightyart Cool I am starting to put in my Vanistan motor this weekend and Aaron with VansWestPDX was trying to get me to trade him my core for part of the labor. Not sure what he had in mind for it, but, its a running driving 2.1 with 145k, heads done at 120k IIRC. We should hook up this week. PM me your info and I will try to call you and swing by as I am off this week through Tuesday of next week. We will find you something. I am just stoked to have you in the area. We will definitely be getting you involved in our local scene Wink What area of town are you squatting?

Discount Import Parts is in Beaverton and in SE PDX on McGloughlin(right by my house)15100 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97267
(503) 659-7444, Ashley @ Always VDub is up off of 50th and Hawthorne 503 235 2757 http://www.always-v-dub.com , and Halsey Automotive is in NE PDX 503 256-0182 parts, service 503 256-0182. If you need any advice or used parts, call Tommy at Service and tell him I sent you. Between Tommy and Ashley, they should usually have anything you need or be able to source it for you in a hurry. They have lots of stock rolling through the back and usually have the parts used to save some $$$ when needed, which is NICE.

Best

PS I have been looking for a Bass player Laughing

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
mightyart wrote:
carterzest wrote:

Ahhh, of course, Miss Mightyart Cool I am starting to put in my Vanistan motor this weekend and Aaron with VansWestPDX was trying to get me to trade him my core for part of the labor. Not sure what he had in mind for it, but, its a running driving 2.1 with 145k, heads done at 120k IIRC. We should hook up this week. PM me your info and I will try to call you and swing by as I am off this week through Tuesday of next week. We will find you something. I am just stoked to have you in the area. We will definitely be getting you involved in our local scene Wink What area of town are you squatting?

Discount Import Parts is in Beaverton and in SE PDX on McGloughlin(right by my house)15100 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Portland, OR 97267
(503) 659-7444, Ashley @ Always VDub is up off of 50th and Hawthorne 503 235 2757 http://www.always-v-dub.com , and Halsey Automotive is in NE PDX 503 256-0182 parts, service 503 256-0182. If you need any advice or used parts, call Tommy at Service and tell him I sent you. Between Tommy and Ashley, they should usually have anything you need or be able to source it for you in a hurry. They have lots of stock rolling through the back and usually have the parts used to save some $$$ when needed, which is NICE.

Best

PS I have been looking for a Bass player Laughing

Thank you for the hospitality! we are in a place called Milwaukie, staying with family for now. I have a place up the street to drop the engine, I'm going to limp it there this morning. I'll be getting in touch.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
Gees Louise.... I thought I had packed my van on a few occasions for some moves... you guys have that thing stuffed like a turkey.... yuk yuk.. being the holiday an all.

Yea we packed it in there, one of the reasons we took the van, if it fits in a VW bus, the bus will carry it. Very Happy
plus when I had the money I put in a rear camera and I can see whats behind me with the rear window blocked.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyo mightyart,

Welcome to Portland! A Samba legend now among us, yay.

A BIG VW meetup is happening soon, please make it if you can to connect with the locals.

Saturday, December 7, 2013
Lucky Labrador
1945 NW Quimby St.
Portland, OR 97209
3 pm to Whenever...

See this most recent pages of this L O N G thread for various other Portland area gatherings:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312314&start=2780

Again, welcome to the NW!
-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only a mere 6 blocks away from the Compound de Carterzest….what are the odds. Checked with Tom and Ashley and they have no AC vanagon blocks currently(tom actually has 2 AC Westys that he will be rebuilding soon). Tom recommends Avery's Air Cooled
http://www.averres.com
1685 Schurman Way, Woodland, WA 98674
(800) 458-5852
(I understand that they are in the process of moving though)

Once you dig into it and figure out what you need, feel free to call any of the above, and, if you need any help running around, let me know.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
only a mere 6 blocks away from the Compound de Carterzest….what are the odds. Checked with Tom and Ashley and they have no AC vanagon blocks currently(tom actually has 2 AC Westys that he will be rebuilding soon). Tom recommends Avery's Air Cooled
http://www.averres.com
1685 Schurman Way, Woodland, WA 98674
(800) 458-5852
(I understand that they are in the process of moving though)

Once you dig into it and figure out what you need, feel free to call any of the above, and, if you need any help running around, let me know.
Was able to meet up with Mightyart and his lovely Girlfriend today. Nothing found yet on the van, but, it being a questionable rebuild in the first place, he may not wish to dig too much further for fear of finding the fatal blow he avoided by pulling right off the freeway and stopping.
We were able to speak with Todd at Avery's in Woodland Wa and potentially secure a running long block for his van. I am most likely able to give him a lift up there Monday, but, may need someone to take him up there later in the week if the motor is not pulled in time on Monday. We will still be looking for experienced folks potentially to help with install and any spare parts we may need, but, for now, looks like we should be able to get him back on the road pretty reasonably inexpensive. With his mechanical ability and me as far away from it as possible, I think this Ex~Mod Mobile will soon be cruising the streets of Portland and beyond Laughing So, anyone have any AC Vanagon bits and pieces laying around. I am pretty sure, finding a currently running block, we can find all the other bits locally. Please chime in if you have anything laying around.

Nice to meet you today!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Heyo mightyart,

Welcome to Portland! A Samba legend now among us, yay.

A BIG VW meetup is happening soon, please make it if you can to connect with the locals.

Saturday, December 7, 2013
Lucky Labrador
1945 NW Quimby St.
Portland, OR 97209
3 pm to Whenever...

See this most recent pages of this L O N G thread for various other Portland area gatherings:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312314&start=2780

Again, welcome to the NW!
-CJ

Thanks CJ!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Carterzest, for your help and great welcome to Portland!

More to come as we progress in getting it back on the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: