Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Skin Year Changes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Roof Skin Year Changes Reply with quote

Does anyone know if later bays use the same roof skins as early bays? I need to put one on a '69 and a '72 is the latest hardtop bus I have to compare it to. Does anyone have an early bay and say a 77-79 to compare it to? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you will need a donor no later than 71. for some reason, i think there is a difference

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i think you will need a donor no later than 71. for some reason, i think there is a difference

Yea, that's what i'm trying to confirm before I commit to buying one 2 states away Laughing

I was thinking they would change in '72 with the rear corners changing, but I really see no difference between the one I have here and the '69. I am just doing the gutter up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mobiltune
Samba Road Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the gallery,,, I think there the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few arguments that they taper towards the rear differently from early to late, I'm not buying it though. I think they are the same.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I think they are the same.

As do I.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I recall as well . Though certainly not certain, I think the later models are very slightly wider in the back.

For what it's worth, the early and late roof sections have different numbers in the parts books/microfiche.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly thought there was something different. i dunno. buy it and confirm it for the rest of us Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
For what it's worth, the early and late roof sections have different numbers in the parts books/microfiche.

What's the VIN cutoff?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:

This is what I recall as well . Though certainly not certain, I think the later models are very slightly wider in the back.

I don't know about the wider part, the hatch opening is a little different as far as upper seam location on 72+'s, maybe the number difference reflects a stamped in step to clear a lapped seam that moved or something like that? I'm going to do a little rough pattern making and some testing when I get time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I don't know about the wider part, the hatch opening is a little different as far as upper seam location on 72+'s, maybe the number difference reflects a stamped in step to clear a lapped seam that moved or something like that? I'm going to do a little rough pattern making and some testing when I get time.

Yeah i gotta disagree on the wider thing too. i've heard it mentioned around here, but never backed up with any proof - busdaddy if you present the facts, then this urban legend can be solved and linked to for the entire future of the internet Razz

seriously though, people put early belt trim on lates all the time, so thats not wider. all available body repair panels dont seem to indicate anything either as far as different parts for late vs early

i'd check but all i have here is a 72 and a 75....oh and that '78 storage box, out of town...and my 8' wide caliper is in the shop Mad

thanks B'daddy
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider? Nope. I have roof racks that been on a '66, '70, '74 and a '79 and they fit them all.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Dean Bradley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Im aware Colby there aren't any differences , but a roof closer to the intended model is always better due to the stamping presses wearing out over time etc ..... Yes it does happen , check the difference between a 68 frt wheel arch and a 70

The hardest bit is getting the damn skin off the substructure and then welding/grinding it down again afterwards

Post up some pics though my friend of your finished bus

The path of the Righteous is Never Smooth .....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look from the last panel seam back to the corner. If there is a difference that is where it will be. I don't recall my 1971 tapering in a little from that last seam, however my 1977 does equally on both sides.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
mattcuddy wrote:

What's the VIN cutoff?

Not certain. This isn't one of the parts where it shows both numbers in the same parts book, one each for pre and post a vin.

The early paper parts book (this one is from around 73 or so) has a part number of 211-817-111C

The later microfiche (this one is from January of 1983) has a part number of 211-817-111G. I have not scanned this fiche in yet, so all I have is a pic of the reader screen.

A different part number doesn't necessarily mean they were different dimensions, but something was likely different. VW wasn't really in the habit of issuing new parts numbers for no reason.

Will a later roof work on an earlier bus? Certainly, even if its different. And if for some reason its not direct plug and play, I'm sure you can make it work.

Joey wrote:

Wider? Nope. I have roof racks that been on a '66, '70, '74 and a '79 and they fit them all.

If they are different widths, it wouldn't be like one was 5 inches bigger than the other. If anything it'd be, what, an inch or something? Meaning your rack legs on each side would have to move around 1/2 an inch to still fit. Completely plausable, especially given how many racks have tweaked legs anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Cuddy, you're my hero

Link

Too bad there isn't a progressive refinements for baywindows. I placed a wanted ad for a roof and pretty much everyone who responded has late bays. I will probably end up getting one and figuring it out.

Dean Bradley wrote:
Post up some pics though my friend of your finished bus

You got it! I will probably dig in over the winter, I need to get some other junk out of my garage to make room Rolling Eyes
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

I was thinking they would change in '72 with the rear corners changing, but I really see no difference between the one I have here and the '69. I am just doing the gutter up.

There is definitely some roof stuff that changed at end of 71 model year, so who knows. Like some rear roof frame stuff shown in #19 below (use the same early diagram as above)

Colby, if you wanna make the drive, there are some early bays in junkyards up around here. As normal up here, bottoms are completely toast, but roofs are generally not rusted away.

Quote:

Too bad there isn't a progressive refinements for baywindows.

There are the listings in the Molenaar Specification Guide, but not nearly detailed as the early actual VW stuff.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcuddy wrote:
Joey wrote:

If they are different widths, it wouldn't be like one was 5 inches bigger than the other. If anything it'd be, what, an inch or something? Meaning your rack legs on each side would have to move around 1/2 an inch to still fit. Completely plausable, especially given how many racks have tweaked legs anyway.

Here's my roof racks...

...they are very solid and don't flex or bend. The fit on each bus was identical.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: