Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig final cost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonsmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: bostig cost Reply with quote

As for the delay, I see no reason for it. The exhaust shield, I found I needed one a few years ago, ordered it, waited, and it worked well,with a few mods.
syncrodan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty tough to wrap your mind around spending $7,000 to install a $700 engine but after driving it you really just forget about it. If I was the boss, I'd say the oil pan is part of the kit, and the deleted high cost billet aluminum throttle elbow (this is now a plastic molded piece) and thermostat housing should reduce the price not raise it. The waiting game is the only real downside to this conversion. When I did my first one, I snatched my wbx out as soon as I saw the first shipping notification pop up on my phone, big mistake.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in RG-1 group, and my kits have been arriving lately. The Bostig website plainly states this is a small operation, and the machine shops take care of the big orders first. I had no illusions I was buying from Amazon, and getting it the next day.

That said, I budgeted $10,000 for everything, but I do mean everything! Not just the Bostig conversion, but also the A/C, radiator, stainless cooling pipes, heater hoses, etc. Once I drop the WBX, I intend to rust proof and clean everything under the van. As someone else said, it'll be an all new Westy!

Part of that budget is for tools, but shouldn't be considered part of the "cost", you'll use them elsewhere.

Upgrades like the high capacity oil pan are a must, as is the scan gauge for monitoring the engine.

My best friend is doing a Subi conversion, and even though he got the engine very cheaply, his costs are right with mine. However, he has to spend a lot more time figuring out what's next. I need the paint-by-numbers approach of Bostig! And I can call them with questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonsmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Bostig conversion Reply with quote

Both Jeff and Dan are right on here. Total cost of most any conversion is 7 to 10K mostly. There are now over 400 Bostig conversions out there, the majority in the PNW. Both the coolant elbow and oilpan were included in my 2010 kit. The company has been turning a profit for about 2 years now; yet it now costs more and U get less. Some advantages are
the components are available world-wide and simplicity and reliability are high. I have never been a fan of the waterboxer at all since day one. I have a problem sending out a full payment first without knowing when anything will be delivered., it doesn't make for happy camping. I am pleased, however, with my decision to go with Bostig, and followed them for some 9 years now.
PDX_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off topic and I appologize for the question: But of those who have done the Bostiq conversion, are any on a sycnro? I tlaked to one vanagon owner with a Bostiq conversion and he loved the engine, but suggested I go with the subie on a syncro westy.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Syncros have Bostig conversions. If you go on Bostig's website, you can see them moving the snow off the roof with Jim's Syncro....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDX_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo Jeff,

Yeah, I know some people have them, I was just curious what those that have the conversion in a syncro think of the combo. I am about a year out of doing a conversion on my Syncro Westy and haven't decide which way to go yet.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

hey guys, i am just getting my feet wet here in the vanagon world (aircooled guy naturally), and have a couple questions.

Is Bostig a company or the type of motor? I found them and it seems like a company, but people reference them like its a type of motor. It looks to just be a ztech motor from a Focus.

Also, they dont do a good job on listing what comes with these "kits". Its about 7k. I see a bunch of you guys referencing buying these kits.........what all was included?

I appreciate the feedback!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Bostig is a company that provides an extremely well thought out conversion kit to install the 2000-2004 Ford 2.0 DOHC 16-valve Zetec engine. The engine puts out about 130hp at the crank, so not super powerful, but a well known and reliable engine used in hundreds of thousands of vehicles all over the world.

Their website shows you what you get, but the best bet is to register on the site so you can access the support pages and download the Bostig factory install manual which includes all the call-out sheets. These will answer all your questions about what parts you need to source and what comes with the kit.
Jim (the owner) only sells parts in the kit that are unique or would be hard to source on your own. Most people doing the conversion buy the extra bits from Rockauto.

Yes, it's an expensive kit, but it is also well thought out, robust, and reliable.
One of the main bits you get with the kit is a brand new wiring harness, relays, and ECU support. (you have to source the ECU itself from salvage yard) Which for other conversions can cost many hundreds of dollars and still not be brand new.

I've been driving a Bostig conversion in my Syncro Westy since 2009 and have only had two minor problems in all those years. The first one was a defective flex coupling for the exhaust (Bostig replace no-charge) and the other was just recently after I installed an exhaust upgrade where the adaptor bolts worked loose and I had an exhaust leak at the head. (might have been my fault not getting the bolts tight enough). All in all, very reliable.

Another really nice thing about Bostig is they are always looking for ways to make the conversion better. The kit you buy today is a result of all those improvements over the years and is the best.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

+1 to everything MsTaboo said.

For the Bostig install on my syncro westy (standard trans, optional HC oil pan upgrade, group 7) here was the cost breakdown:
The group 7 kit from Bostig: 6k
HC oil pan (optional): $430
Rock auto various stuff: $446
MAF: $24
ECU: $33
Air filter box: $10
Engine from craigslist: $250
Total: $7,193

Last edited by SyncroButter on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

One extra thing I'll note here is that Jim is an engineer type, not a website developer. The Bostig website and the factory installation manual sometimes lag behind what you actually get with the kit.

I was just looking at the product page and it appears the picture of the what you get in the kit is out of date (recent RG9 kit buyers can you weight in on this?)

I believe the kit will now include the new exhaust header adaptor for the Mitsubishi "catifold" with new heat shields and a different tank/filler for the coolant system.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

I really appreciate the feedback. I was unsure if it came with the actual motor, as 7k for just adaptor parts seemed really really high, BUT, I’ve never done the swap to really know what all I would get. I actually just found a bus last night with the swap already done, and plan to look at it in the next day or so!! Wish me luck!!
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Cliff@BrownBags wrote:
I really appreciate the feedback. I was unsure if it came with the actual motor, as 7k for just adaptor parts seemed really really high, BUT, I’ve never done the swap to really know what all I would get. I actually just found a bus last night with the swap already done, and plan to look at it in the next day or so!! Wish me luck!!

Would be worth finding out which generation of Bostig kit was used on the swap you will be looking at... there are no "bad years" for them but they do improve incrementally with each generation. If owner is not sure we can help you identify with a few pics of the engine and the engine support underneath.

re: coming with the motor, they are so common and cheap (I got mine for $250 for a 41k mile engine with all of the peripherals, harnesses etc) that it probably doesn't make sense for Bostig to source them. I know that at one point they were selling an entire "dressed" engine with the kit already installed, but they stopped doing that a few years ago.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Thanks! Yea, knowing they are so cheap it would not make sense. Shipping alone would be a killer.

I was told it was a generation 2 or 3.

The only worry i have is that it is throwing a bunch of engine codes right now, and i dont know if thats normal for a swap, or real issues.

evap system pressure switch high
shift solenoid d
shift solenoid e
evap emission system purge control valve circuit
evaporative emission system vent control circuit
transmission range sensor circuit
02 heater circuit
exhaust gas re-circulation sensor
exhaust gas re-circulation control circuit

Are any of these kinda expected? or real issues?

feedback is very appreciated.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Some of that looks like transmission stuff so you can flat out ignore that.
Evap stuff might not even be there anymore.
The EGR stuff might be worth looking into.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Honestly I would not be shy about picking up the phone and calling Bostig, tell them the situation and see what they say about the codes... I would guess that Jim and crew would be happy to discuss with you.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig final cost Reply with quote

Cliff@BrownBags wrote:

Are any of these kinda expected? or real issues?

can't say if the older generations have a different custom tune on the engine computer but I just put in a bostig kit from the newest group (RG9) and there are no codes from my OBD port unless something is wrong.

hope this helps but I agree that you should really contact Jim at bostig I'm sure he would be helpful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: