Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post '87 Vanagon ground clearance question....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Post '87 Vanagon ground clearance question.... Reply with quote

I know that after '87 VW lowered the ride height on Vanagons. Does anybody know how was this achieved? Was it simply different size springs?

My '88 feels exceptionally low especially in comparison with early Vanagons. I often scrape my bumpers by just getting into the driveway, let alone taking it off road.

I know that somebody makes springs that will give 2 inches or so of lift to Syncros but how about the regular Vanagon? Would just putting the stock pre '87 springs help raise it a little and would they fit on my '88? Any other options? I would like to avoid spacers if possible...

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the silly questions, I have to start somewhere! Razz
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Vanagons had better ground clearance, but if it feels to low it might have been lowered. It may be in the Bentley, I'm not sure, but somewhere or maybe someone knows the stock measurements for your van. Usually you measure from a certain point on the van to level ground, this will tell you if your springs are worn, sagging in the front or rear ect. The only way to lower Vanagons that I've come across is just lower springs. From what I know about lowering cars just changing the springs isn't the correct way to do it. It throws the geometry of the suspension off and causes increased wear in certain components. How it works in Vanagons I don't know. A lowered car is good for cursing on the highway but not as good off-road, like camping in the backwoods.
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you are right that maybe it's just a spring wear and sag. It looks just a little 'nose down' when you look at it from the side. I don't think it's been lowered. I would actually like to gain couple of inches (wouldn't we all Laughing ) and not lower it further (I know my first post is a little confusing).

I know that there's been talks on this forum about custom spacers and longer springs but that was for Syncros only. I'd really like to take my GL down to Baja this summer...

Maybe replacing the springs with the new stock ones would be a good start, hmmm....

Thank you MightyArt!
Any further info would be much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: