Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ATOGAS GERÄT performance accessory: 36 HP engine-HELP Please
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Just my opinion, but aren't we:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Indeed. "miniman" doesn't understand Vintage Speed and has been demonstating the fact...end of story. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Ninamashr wrote:
Sure, you could just switch out the engine for practical purposes but why!??!

You already said it-because it's practical. I don't suppose it would make a difference if you do most of your driving in the city where traffic is slow anyway, but most of the places I drive are fairly fast paced (even in town). It would annoy me if I couldn't keep up with traffic because of a lethargic engine, and I'm sure some cities you're likely to get shot for driving like that. I'd rather have something more up to date, and show off the original stuff at shows-that's the only place anyone cares.

Ninamashr wrote:
That would be like a Lamborghini owner switching out his engine, for a more practical one( v8, v6 ), for just for those same reasons that are listed. The body and interior are the character of the car while the engine is it's heart and soul.

Let me get this right-you're comparing a 36 horse to a Lambo? Rolling Eyes
Lambo engines are already bad ass, why change it? Why isn't a Lambo engine practical, because it's expensive?

The last oil change on my Murcie was $400, the clutch job was $5000, and I'm due for my 24k service for $10 grand. Trust me, Lambo engines are not practical. My 36'r sounds better and better by the minute. Wink
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Just my opinion, but aren't we:

Indeed. "miniman" doesn't understand Vintage Speed and has been demonstating the fact...end of story. Laughing

Probably so. I just wanted to understand the mentality.
Then again, it's pointless.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question! Lets say you have a 57 Oval with the Okrasa kit, and you want to add gauges, shocks, and other speed goodies, what was on the market at that time? Were the 356 wheels the ones to run at that time?

Terry
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 356 wheels, by themselves, would be considered an old speed goodie, but, if you had the 356 Porsche aluminum brakes to go along with those wheels, then they would. Cool
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Speed to me is finding a 1964 Ghia Coupe in a barn with 22k original miles and wanting to maintain the original spirit of the car while being able to keep up with modern day cars. It is the fun of (ok frustration at some points) finding the old go fast parts and building it up. I did a full exterior restoration (interior is factory fresh) and added vintage/old school parts to fulfill my dream of driving a fairly fast, really cool, somewhat economical car that gets comments everywhere I go. My wife checks every note that gets left under the wiper. The wheels (the 356b brakes are behind them) are 70ish along with the EMPI steering wheel and Hurst shifter, but I think the spirit is there. I drive it everyday the weather permits with no regard to the miles I am racking up on what could have easily been put in a museum somewhere. While I can not explain it, it is therapy for preparing me for the long work day and relaxes me on the way home. Yes, I still have all the original factory parts down to the original tires in proper storage.

Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ghia Smile I would like to add pieces that would have been available in 56-58? I am not talking so much about the Okrasa, or Judson applications, but other parts like gauges, shocks, wheels etc!

Terry
Jamestown, New York 14701
Stateside Imported Cars/Motors Items Wanted

Sunland Motors
2030 Fremont St Las Vegas, Nevada
Sunland Motors Items Wanted
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what added HP these Atogas units offer a 36HP engine? 2, 3??

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero
split crotch rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say this has been the moast entertaining thread i have read in a long time. either your into it or your not. i didnt know there was a forum for vintage speed till last night witch turned into 4:30am. and ya i have got the trunk full of goodies from years of collecting parts. only came here cause i heard of the 36'er challenge recently
thanks guy's Robb
Victor Frisbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:
I'm curious why you guys dont just put a more modern motor in your bugs...

Let's just assume you're truly curious, and not just pushing reason over inspiration.

It fits the engine compartment properly, including the rear apron shape. It weighs less and makes the car handle differently, especially when driving alone. When you check the oil, or just lift the lid to look at it, which happens surprisingly often, you see a curved fan shroud that mirrors the roof line, the fenders, the oval window, the hood, the dash and the speaker grill. You see fuel lines which have solid connections that will never leak and a vacuum advance line that looks like an artist designed it and spark plug wires that run through tubes instead of being un-ceremoniously tacked to the fan shroud. When your Brother-in-law comes over for some ridiculous get-together that takes you away from more important things, you can't help but show it off, knowing he will not understand, but you do it anyway. From the exhaust, to the whir of the cooling fan, to the air sucking through the air cleaner, and the noise resonating through the heater channels, it sounds uniquely different from any other engine configuration.

It really has nothing to do with speed or horsepower. Take a look at a Kadron dual carb setup, on some 1600 squared off fan shroud motor with giant paper heater tubes sticking out the back of it. Then look at a Okrassa, or any other 36hp dual car setup or a Judson supercharger on a 36hp motor. It doesn't matter that nobody else can see it or that you are still slower than a Skoda. You know that it's old, it's a work of art, and every time you drive it you are the king of the road.

PURE POETRY! WELL SAID!!! Applause

It's like trying to compare a mechanical ROLEX to a quartz or digital wrist watch.

I just finished removing a 40hp engine and installing a 36hp Judson in my new '56 rag project and all is good. Wink

I am restoring this bug... Not necessarily to original condition but to 'period correct' condition. I will be incorporating various mods that were popular 'back-in-the-day'. The Judson super charger, magneto, Marvel Mystery Oiler, H-Filter bypass filter, 019 dizzy are just the begining.

I hope to be adding some EMPI goodies and 356B brakes too. A Abarth muffler sounds like a good idea too. (Sorry I couldn't help the pun.)

"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better" - Émile Coué de Châtaigneraie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:

I didn't always live in Communistfornia; I'm from Wisconsin, and I'm leaving here first chance I get. I drove my 1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper a whole bunch back home, did it rust? Hell yes it did, but if you wash the car regularly to get the salt off it's not so bad. Your argument doesn't hold water for me, ask anyone who drives in England if the rain or cold keeps them from driving their Coopers, they'll tell you the same. Cars are for driving, I don't get any enjoyment out of just staring at it.

I'm from england, infact from the sunniest part of england (an oxymoron if there ever was one!), and i can say that the number of classic cars you see on the roads in the winter is pretty much zero. Where i live on the south coast the amount of salt that goes on the road in winter is huge (this winter they actually ran out of salt in most of the depots) in other parts of the uk its much worse.

5 or 10 years ago you did see more bugs and coopers on the road in winter but that was when they were worth a great deal less and were more common.

Most people would love to drive their vintage cars every day but in many cases its not possible. I drive 25,000+ miles a year for my job, mostly on country lanes, my 66 wouldn't last 2 years if i drove it year round.

As for vintage speed, i like seeing and hearing something that is period correct. A newer engine may be more reliable but it doesn't look or sound "right". In the same way that putting a set of modern heated front seats in a bug may be more comfortable and practical but they look so very very wrong.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just noticed the autogas unit from the classifides that started this thread is STILL for sale since 2009 for 700 bucks with no takers; wow

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think modern cars don't give the driving experience as the older (70's and older) do. New cars are so far removed from the road with anti lock, anti slip, stability control, adaptive power steering, power assisted brakes, climate control need I go on? I have a Passat and I can throw is around the road and it will do its best to keep things settled: it's a comfortable easy drive, but it lacks that smell, sound and skill required to drive the Beetle (at I'll bet at a slower speed), with some spirit, but only occasionly at weekends when it can be enjoyed for what it is. This is my opinion as I enjoy the driving experience and I love the Beetle; simple German engineering that works.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ATOGAS GERÄT performance accessory: 36 HP engine-HELP Pl Reply with quote

I've only seen these more as curiosities than a true performance item, until I understood how they work. I've never used one, I have no first-hand experience. (looked at one at a swap meet once) But I understand the theory.

The idea is to add an air 'bypass' if you will, around the carburetor throttle blade, such that more air is available to the engine. The kit includes a secondary valve that is connected to the stock carb's throttle linkage, so that as the carb throttle is opened, the supplied secondary valve, part of the kit, opens as well, allowing air to flow through the rubber hoses, and into the intake tract. That extra air is being introduced vis the sandwich plates, also part of the kit, that are mounted between the stock intake manifold and the head. Pretty cleaver idea, no machine work required, you retqin the stock carb (although you would need to re-jet it to compensate for the additional air). The key is to adjust it so that the secondary valve is completely closed at idle, as to not ruin idle circuit metering and mixture, and to open at some point during throttle opening, and stay open (like a valve on a woodwind musical instrument).

Assume for a moment that the 28mm choke of the carburetor is a restriction to the intake tract at higher rpm (which BTW, I think is a pretty safe bet). You can't afford an Okrasa dual port kit back in the day, or even know where to get one, and don't want to take your new engine apart anyhow. No one makes a complete dual carb kit for your stock 36hp, which is what you might need (if you could get a decent dual carb throttle linkage, which were mostly crap back then) But you know if you could just get a little more air into the intake tract, you could increase the size of the main jet to compensate, and would make a little more power from the stock 36er. They likely sold for less than $60 back then.

If you have ever read anything about NASCAR crew chiefs cheating with restrictor plate engines, you have read about (illegal) hollowed out carb mounting studs, passages milled/drilled under the manifold vented to atmosphere, all sorts of ways to get just a little more air past the choke point of the carb and restrictor plate.

I think it would be fun to mess around with one, but I wouldn't expect much return on investment.

Matt's Bug Parts wrote:
Go here to see what I am asking about:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=458661

I have a stock 36HP engine except that it has dome topped pistons. I have TWO questions as follows:

Has anyone installed one - if yes how much did it improve performance and in what way - exceleration, top speeed etc?

What did you use for the "yellow" hoses shown in the picture since the NOS kit I have does not include them.

Matthew Ross
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put an nos one on my 55 deluxe bus. all i can say it did something . how much i don't know? not much but i could feel a little more mid and top but not much. it's hard to tell with a heavy bus? should of kept it in the box for a conversation piece. going w/w okrasa stroker! and going to put it back in the box. maybe i will do a dyno run with it on and with it off and see if it really does anything? Confused
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dualport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: atogas info Reply with quote

Here's more detailed information from the an owner of this kit.

http://home.tiscali.nl/~gmolhoek/atogas/

There are pics of the kit contents and links to the instructions pages
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: