Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing door hardware; stop rods, hinges, door locks.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Refurbishing door hardware; stop rods, hinges, door locks. Reply with quote

I just checked the FAQ's and couldn't find a reference so was hoping people might contribute some personal knowledge on this refirb if you have actually at some point dragged yourself away from the computer and really done this work. Personally I'm wanting some help to refirb the door stop rods but also anything about refurbishing the door hardware to make the door open and close like new might help others looking in this forum for info.

Before taking my car apart there was a dirty big crease in the drivers door side qtr panel from the door opening too far. The passenger door was also damn close to hitting and the stop rods in general wouldn't hold the door open in a light breeze.

The hinges and door was not bent so it wasn't the result of an accident. The rubber stoppers looked perished so I'm guessing it's just that but I have no thicknesses to work with if I were to try to replace them or know what material to use for a long term fix.

Anyhow I'm sure there are other door issues like replacing hinge pins and the like so if anyone has some info regarding door opening and closing that would be great.

I'm planning to tackle this job soon so it would help to get a heads-up if anyone has done it.

Regards,
Paolo
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dropped the handles and door latch mechanisms in a bucket of varsol and let them soak fr a couple days, blew them out and relubed. they work like new.
I would like to know too if there is a good door rod rubber stop available, the wife killed my OG one on a windy day last year, not to mention the crease she put in my passenger door. Rolling Eyes

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for the rubber stop in the check rod:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've discovered that the 311 part number is typically carried by Thing parts shops:

http://www.thingsforthething.com/catalog/index.php...cts_id=319
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I've discovered that the 311 part number is typically carried by Thing parts shops:

That was who I was going to suggest (German Motor Works). I think Air Head Parts has them too. They're actually pretty easy to replace, having done it on a Thing before.

I haven't done hinge pins before, but going off the Bentley manual, it looks like it needs some sort of press to get them out. I think Phillip did something like that on an early car, so it might be worth looking at his pics of that job.

I personally haven't seen a worn out type 3 hinge before, and that's in 20+ years of type 3 ownership. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

That was who I was going to suggest (German Motor Works). I think Air Head Parts has them too. They're actually pretty easy to replace, having done it on a Thing before.

I haven't done hinge pins before, but going off the Bentley manual, it looks like it needs some sort of press to get them out. I think Phillip did something like that on an early car, so it might be worth looking at his pics of that job.

I personally haven't seen a worn out type 3 hinge before, and that's in 20+ years of type 3 ownership. Shocked

THAT'S where I saw them! Airhead Parts....

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/door-check-rod/rubber-stop-door-check-rod-311837261

$2 each!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the exact same thing. I got them from Mario at T3HQ
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Thanks ataraxia and Bobnotch for the links.
I thought I was gonna have to make it.

Any ideas on stiffening the holding force to keep the door open?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Thanks ataraxia and Bobnotch for the links.
I thought I was gonna have to make it.

Any ideas on stiffening the holding force to keep the door open?

It's all in the check rod.

At the end mounting block end, there are two brass colored (not sure if they're actually brass) pieces that provide resistance against the flat portion at the end near where the grommet is situated. If that end is completely flat, you'll have little/no resistance.

The brass colored bits are on the left in this photo:

Notice how the end is split to provide resistance against the other end?

The other end-where the resistance helps keep the door open
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: