Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Factory Tools at Sac B-O-R (long).
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: VW Factory Tools at Sac B-O-R (long). Reply with quote

So I see this guy walking around in the swaps with a couple VW factory tools in his hand, and being a freak for such tools, I asked where he got them and if there were more. Much to my surprise he says a guy has a "whole big pile" of tools, right down the row. Yeah, right, heard that before. So he gives me vague swap meet type directions, and after about 10 minutes of searching frantically, I don't see the guy. Then about 10 minutes after that, my radio/pager thing goes off and it's Lind asking if I'd been to the guy with all the tools? WTF, where is this guy? As I turn the corner around the front of a truck, there is a huge pile of tools. Definitely the largest pile of tools I've ever seen at a show. The guy works at a dealership and he said that VW had released these tools from the requirement list that dealerships must have on hand, so they needed to be sold off.
Anyway, I ask how much tools are, and to my utter amazement, he says "the stuff on the tarp ranges from $2 to $5." Holy Crap!!! There were all kinds of early air cooled stuff that I recognized immediately, and after I had a big handful of tools, I asked a price, and he asked if I was interested in more, and of course I said yes, so he said "make a pile". Ah, the words I LOVE to hear. Basiclly, anything I recognized went on the pile. I was grabbing tools in a frenzy, and the pile grew rapidly. There were a few splitcase tranny tools in their original wooden boxes, so I asked how much they were, to be answered by $10. On the pile.
So I make this gigantic pile, which also included an NOS VW in the box small hatch bus interior rear view mirror, and a bunch of new tune up parts, and the pile came out to $110. So Rachel and I load up a few containers with tools and start carrying them. HEAVY. I saw a guy who had an empty wheel barrel next to his truck, borrowed that, and it made the rest of the way much easier. Went back another time to buy more, filled another box with tools, $25.
Went back at the end of the day, and bought everything else VW for $50. Thanks again to that guy who let me use his wheel barrel---twice.
What a great tool score. Lots of things I can use, and a couple other things I already have that I hope to sell off or trade for other tools.
But the things I wonder most about all this tool pile are:
-Why didn't Lind and Greg, who were there before me, buy more stuff? Plenty of good stuff was left when I got there.
-I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone else who bought tools there to see what else was there before I got there, because I was definitely late to this pile.
-Does anyone know who the guy was, and how I can contact him? I forgot to get his info in all this excitment.
I'll post pics in the gallery at some point.
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Factory Tools at Sac B-O-R (long). Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Then about 10 minutes after that, my radio/pager thing goes off and it's Lind asking if I'd been to the guy with all the tools? WTF, where is this guy?

Great Score Exclamation A few things come to mind.

1. There are still great finds at swap meets, but you have to know what you're looking at. Shocked

2. You owe Lind for helping to keep you on task.

3. This is another example of where you could take an empty trailer somewhere and bring it back full. Wink
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in rural America never do I get a chance to get to the large events.
However less chance of Terrorist threats too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give that purchase the score of the show.

It was A LOT of tools. Probably added 1,000 lbs. to his Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hazetguy,

Whats all this stuff? Vw NOS engine tools. Any idea what all this stuff does?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT: Guy had 2 sets listed on E-Bay $249.00 no bids yet.

Last edited by vdubmonkey on Mon May 31, 2004 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 friends in my local VDub club that are wrenchers at one of the dealerships here in town, they were talking about that same bulletin. So I asked if they were going to sell their tools off, and I quote "NO WAY, we were told we will still work on any VW that shows up at the dealership." strange but true Shocked

edit:

Well I se an oil pump puller I also see a flywheel seal setter. Some valve adjustment tools. I beleive a breather box nut puller and breaker bar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats all this stuff? Vw NOS engine tools. Any idea what all this stuff does?

i see the fuel pump diaphragm tool, flywheel lock, oil pump puller, clutch pilot tool, gland nut socket and bracket for flywheel, flyhweel seal installer, fuel pump nut swivel head wrench, oil cooler nut wrench. the second pic is better for seeing what's there.
the reason there are no bids is because nobody ever buys one. he used to advertise the same kits for $100 and nobody would bid. it's nice, but a bit pricy, i think.

and Deathbus, what else do you know about that service bulletin? i'd hate to see tools chucked in the trash by a dealership that didn't care.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

and Deathbus, what else do you know about that service bulletin? i'd hate to see tools chucked in the trash by a dealership that didn't care.

From what they said the Bulletin said they could just trash them, so I would think most dealerships who dont care have already done so. SAD I know. Same damn thing happened to the Type 4 engine tools a few years ago. Along with microfiche and any old air cooled paper bulletins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalLowLife209
Mr. Saran Wrap

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy trying to sell the same tools but in one of the OG tool boxes that go on your spare for 650.Is that expensive?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was this bulletin released?

If Id known earlier I could have called around to the local dealers and scored something...

I would love a pinion nut socket for my tranny case.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
When was this bulletin released?

If Id known earlier I could have called around to the local dealers and scored something...

I would love a pinion nut socket for my tranny case.

From what my friends said it was sometime last month. Oh I could think of a million things I could use.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathbus, any chance of you finding out the details of the bulletin, like dates of year cut-off for keeping tools?
i am going to start calling some dealerships i've frequented in the past, and would like to be accurate when talking to them.
we've got to save these tools from the scrap metal bins! call your local dealship and ask them for tools!
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can find out.
oconnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: pinion nut Reply with quote

Where does one find a vw type 1 pinion nut socket, local parts store has no idea.
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: