Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting valves on Air-cooled Vanagon, Help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Adjusting valves on Air-cooled Vanagon, Help! Reply with quote

Hi
Does anyone have a link to a site that goes through step by step instructions on how to adjust the valves on an aircooled vanagon?
I'd really appreciate some idiot-proof instructions.
Thank you very much.
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe find someone local with experience?
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air cooled will the same as a watercooled assuming they still have the stock hydraulic lifters.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting valves on Air-cooled Vanagon, Help! Reply with quote

vespa93103 wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have a link to a site that goes through step by step instructions on how to adjust the valves on an aircooled vanagon?
I'd really appreciate some idiot-proof instructions.
Thank you very much.

Hey There!

Not trying to be a tool by any means here, but try the search as you will find a plethora of information on that topic. By the time that you wait for someone to give you the details you are looking for you would have found your answers......

Do a search on Valve Adjustment and flag the results to appear in the Title of the post - The Bay Window Bus forum is a good place to start....

Hope this helps ya out...

Then come back with your additional questions - you will get better responses this way Very Happy

Take Care and Merry Christmas
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As written above, the tappets should not need adjusting on an air-cooled Vanagon. If they do then you have issues with the hydraulic followers and should research checking and possibly replacing these followers.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta disagree with you SyncroGhia. While the hydraulic valves do not need the constant adjustment of the old solid lifters, they definitely can get out of whack and need to be brought back into spec.

To the original poster. you need to buy a manual, preferably the Bentley. You also should do a search on the bay window forum as the later window bays use the same engine as the early vanagons. Valve adjustment is not difficult and only needs to be done every 12,000 miles or so.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: Karl ([email protected]) You moved this message to its current location.
Sent: Sun 8/26/01 7:14 PM
Cc: [email protected]

I keep seeing people trying to adjust valves using the distributor when it is inthe wrong position.
Forget all that goofy crap way of doing it by turning the engine backwards and trying to remember which ones to do.
The EASIEST way to doit is with a remote starter button and not worrying where the distributor is.
Takes longer to R + R the valve covers then to adjust them!:
Remove both covers.Connect a remote starter to the solenoid.Watch ANY pair of rockers.
Turn engine over with remote.Just as the exhaust valve starts to open,
STOP.
Adjust the intake.Turn engine, exhaust will open and close, intake will open and close.
Just as the intake closes, STOP.
Adjust the exhaust.Go to the next cylinder.

As the exhaust just starts to move, adjust the intake.
When the intake just closes, adjust the exhaust.Real simple, real quick, real easy.
The valve you are adjusting will always be on the heel of the cam. When you are done and before you put the covers back on, you can check theposition of the distributor.

Turn engine in direction of rotation and watch #3 valves. When the exhaust opensand then just closes, STOP.

At the instant the exhaust closes the intake willstart to open. You want the valves to be at 'rocking' position, either way you move the crank one valve will move.
This is TDC to fire #1. Look at your crankpulley. If you have a zero degree mark, it will be at zero.
Your rotor should beat the index mark also. [a high lift or long duration or high overlap cam makesno difference, rocking valves is rocking valves]If you are NOT at TDC zero mark when the valves are rocking, your cam timing is OFF. ------------------------------------------------
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: hydraulic lifter adjustment Reply with quote

I have to agree that the valves on a hydraulic lifter engine do need to be checked occasionally. The engine in my 82 westy is a Canadian VW factory reman of unknown mileage and even though the bus has under 100k on it now I checked the valves and found a couple pretty far out of spec.

I had a lot of experience adjusting 4 cylinder air cooled (non hydraulic) valves on my first car, a VW bug and a Porsche 356 engine I rebuilt with my dad when I was 13 so the procedure for this engine came back quick but I found the article over at http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com really helpful.

Create an account and then go to the "Engine" section and look for the "Hydraulic Lifter Adjustment" article.

My engine was really clacking away before I adjusted the valves and it quieted down dramatically on the test drive after the adjustment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: