Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sluggish Mini Laptop
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Sluggish Mini Laptop Reply with quote

My wife has an HP mini laptop with an Intel Atom processor N270 1.6GH, 1GB ram, 15 GB HD 3/4 full, Windows XP SP3. Yes, it's antiquated. She uses it for word processing and online research for her writing. No surprise, it has really bogged down since she bought it. There are no photos, videos or music on it...just necessary programs. We've done maintenance, but doesn't help. She plans to replace it with a newer laptop or Ipad. Question...is this old laptop beyond repair considering the weak specs?
stefanosg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the price of a new one, you would spend about the same getting this one in better shape, and you would still have an antiquated computer.

That being said, more Ram, double it to 2GB, and maybe an SSD(Solid State Drive), would improve things. Pictures and music won't slow it down, its the programs you have installed. Anti Virus programs, while necessary, tend to consume a fair amount of resources. Without seeing what else is running in the background, even more RAM and an SSD, may not have a noticeable effect on it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP always includes a bunch of bloatware on their devices. try removong all of that. also agree on the sshd. My new dell work laptop was slower than the 3 year old laptop they replaced. I complained, my desktop guy chenged it out to a solid state hard drive, and it greatly improved
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish Mini Laptop Reply with quote

greg mgm wrote:
My wife has an HP mini laptop with an Intel Atom processor N270 1.6GH, 1GB ram, 15 GB HD 3/4 full, Windows XP SP3. Yes, it's antiquated. She uses it for word processing and online research for her writing. No surprise, it has really bogged down since she bought it. There are no photos, videos or music on it...just necessary programs. We've done maintenance, but doesn't help. She plans to replace it with a newer laptop or Ipad. Question...is this old laptop beyond repair considering the weak specs?

Ipads are not design well for doing this with them if she wants a tablet to do this with she would be better off with the mircosoft surface

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried simply doing a disc clean up? If not that may in fact be all you need to get rid of lots of temporary files and cookies that are bogging it down.

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disc Clean Up.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my wife did disc cleanup and defrag, no help.
Today she deleted a bunch of stuff that she thought wasn't needed but now it won't reboot. There's no OS disc or disc drive on it. Good thing she was planning to replace it!

Thanks guys for the info but at this point she's going to replace it.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run Ccleaner, remove all the start up programs, clean the register and perform a clean up and that PC will fly. I am using the same device, and it's all the programs that run in the background that you never use that really slow the machine down.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove all start up programs? Aren't some of them necessary?
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg mgm wrote:
Remove all start up programs? Aren't some of them necessary?
LOL yes,

Use ctrl-alt-del and open the "Processes" tab.

When programs install these days, many also install a small "Service" that launches upon boot up and stays "resident" or running in the background. While there are many Windows functions that are important, most of the other non-windows programs (like anything from Adobe or Apple) that remains open while the program is not running will/can slow your machine down.

These start up services can be disabled (like utorrent.exe, and ituneshelper.exe in this image). Ccleaner makes it easy to disable these start ups, because it shows you which program each of these "services" are associated with. Again, too many things running in the background will slow down the machine. It's this issue (that plagues any PC really) that is making your machine slower.

Here's my pitch for keeping your XP machine: Windows 8 is the only platform that ships these days, and it really really sucks. You will end up spending more for a platform that largely is less functional than XP for the basic things you mention above. If you have to get a new machine, consider heading to Apple. This is where I am going once the XP machines I have finally die.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sage.
I went through my XP computer making changes on the startup and it does seem to help. I unchecked quite a few. As for keeping my XP computer, absolutely. I love it and will keep it as long as I can. I also have an Apple which is the most reliable computer I've ever had. I hear you on Windows 8, but no idea what my wife will end up with. She's doing her research.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same problem with our small Acer. We've tried all the remedies mentioned above to no avail. It takes something like 10 minutes before Windows XP starts. Anyone else have a similar problem with the Acer?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-image the computer.

If you have the HP restore disk or the Windows XP install disk you can re-image your computer back to it's original factory state.

The PC runs the fastest when it's "new" from there on it gets slower.
stefanosg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campmobile Chris74 wrote:
Re-image the computer.

If you have the HP restore disk or the Windows XP install disk you can re-image your computer back to it's original factory state.

The PC runs the fastest when it's "new" from there on it gets slower.

+1 that
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll a lot of us are aware that no support will take place on Windows XP after April 2014. No clean up the machine it will help.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: