Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash fire. Road Trip. Ignition harness. Almost lost my westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
seems we need more info, a battery disconnect to me makes only partial sense...

A $29 battery switch vs $2900 to rewire a van.

(Insert smartass comment here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ethirtydavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dampcamper wrote:

Black wire in that area is probably the "15"" circuit, the "start/run" (or "ignition") bus.

Dampcamper, yes.
I've looked further and the wire that melted was the larger of two black wires feeding from the 12 fuse and up to the 15 circuit at the ignition switch plug.

When I inspected around the 12 fuse I noticed there is a junction crimp shortly after the short rear end wire [pictured below]. At that junction one smaller black wire heads up towards the gauge area, as far as I could tell- the other wire is thick and red and heads towards the pass side of the dash (possibly CD player wire.) This red wire also got very hot as it is partially melted to a surrounding wire, although not melted through in any visible areas that I've noticed yet.

What do you guys think about this juncture, pictured below? Did someone make a bad judgement call sometime earlier and possibly overload the circuit?

All black wires associated with the ignition switch are fully melted, at this juncture the red wire is also visibly melted so I am suspecting I should follow it all the way to it's end to make checks. If that junction is on the rear end of the fuse 12 though, how did electricity make its way past?

[note, I work on all my cars and am comfortable with most projects but electrical projects always take me more time to understand so work with me here and help me sort this out but understand that I may be a little slow! Eh? ]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, do I need to get a new ignition wiring harness or can I get away with just replacing these black wires, after inspecting the integrity of all others are ok? Is a new ignition wiring harness even an option?
Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch guys-
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3m scotch lock connectors are not OE, but you probably knew that. Where does that red wire go? You only need to replace the wires that actually over heated and melted the insulation away. It would be nice to find a good used harness at some point. I have added quite a few loads to my stock wiring, but in each case each new load gets it's own relay. This takes the load off the OE wiring.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the added red wire is the culprit. The added current load from it spliced into the black wire overloaded the black wire from the splice point back to the power source at the key switch. Though one end of fuse 12 is used as a common connection point for the black wires the fuse is not there to protect the black wires.

It looks like good news in that from the photos it seems the damage is limited to the dash area and is visible.

Mark
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the PO add a high power headlight kit recently, he may of wired it in wrong. The Headlight wires run through the Ignition switch.
The ground tabs are usually full on the Westy's so the PO may of sought another spot to hook up.

again black and red wire NEVER go together whether German or American.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if it was me...
(1) Whatever the red wire is that's into that Scotchlock (tm) connector, you want to be looking at it. It looks like the black wire is melted up to that point, right? Beyond that it's not melted? Maybe that red wire is, some? This points, as others have said, to something about that red wire. Insulation sliced on a sharp metal edge? Terminal at other end came loose and shorted? To let that much smoke out of the black wire, it was a pretty convincing short-circuit. You can start by removing that connector and the red wire from the black wire.
(2) Look very critically at the insulation on ALL of the wires that were around the black wire from the switch connector to where it stopped burning. If there is a little meltage there you can probably get away with some electrical tape. Go buy a roll of the good stuff, 3M (Scotch) #88. The cheap stuff gets brittle or turns to gum or falls off two years later. - but -
(3) I would probably replace the ignition switch body and find a replacement "pigtail" (I don't know if anybody sells these new or you'd have to find one at a "used auto parts brokerage"?). They have been heated and stressed, you don't want some other part to fry next. You're in Portland, call Ashley. If any of the other wires (than black and maybe red?) aren't melted, they could be extracted from the connector (press the little latching tab that holds the lug in so you can slide it gently out of the connector body).
(4) Figure out if the added red wire is something you need to reconnect. If it is just the stereo, start over with the stereo, using a fuse.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power feeds from the ignition switch to the #12 fuse and not the other way around. The problem is most definitely the added red wire. As I said before the PO added some kind of stereo or other load and then probably removed his prize electronics prior to selling the vehicle letting the wire he added dangling and eventually contacting a ground. Just clip the red wire off and remove the Scotchlok and tape the wires up with quality tape. Sadly this is what happens when ignorant lazy people don't use fuses when they add loads to a vehicle's electrical system.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Another, 10mm (thanks for the size cause I'd have had to try them all) on my list of things to buy next time I'm at the discount place that sells a set for a few bucks.

I already have a screwdriver in my kitchen drawer and when I did the stereo, which I could not do until I took a part and greased the seat so it would rotate....I only put 2 of the 4 screws back in. I'm not sure I see the point of all those screws, PITA if you ask me!
Jake de Villiers wrote:
sandoz wrote:
tam_shops all you need is a 10mm wrench to loosen and disconnect the negative ground cable from the battery!

In a Westy you need a Phillips screwdriver, too, to remove the four screws that hold the battery compartment cover in place.

A battery shut-off is a great idea.

I really like the idea of a kill switch on the battery from a theft standpoint, though I recall someone said it was better on the starter, one is enough...

furrylittleotter wrote:
tschroeder0 wrote:

As requested: That's what insurance is for, so more like $29 for battery switch vs a few hundred for the deductible! Wink

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dampcamper wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:
David

I just bought a Westfalia Syncro that has the same black ground wire melted at the ignition switch.

I was also wondering what caused that.

I know the previous owner added some after market anti-theft system long time ago (was non-functional) and a few additional ground wires.

I would be very interested in any opinion/comment.

BTW, if it's only melted near the switch, probably you just have a bad switch (and now socket if it got that hot) so replace those. If the whole wire acted like a fusible link, it's a short at the other end or somewhere along the wire.

thanks for the additional info - I'll look more carefully next time but it looks like mine was only burned at the ignition, I did not notice anything else.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
tschroeder0 wrote:

what I meant by this was that without knowing the cause of the burned wires,overloaded circuit you are doomed to repeat this and possibly with catastrophic results, a cut off switch wont be much good if your van is already in flames...
nice work on getting to,the root of the problem, it made me go out and check my own.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is needed is a cutoff switch that sticks up thru the battery cover - it could take you some time to remove 4 screws and then undo the battery terminal bolt

I guess you'd need 2 of these if you also have an aux battery
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
what is needed is a cutoff switch that sticks up thru the battery cover - it could take you some time to remove 4 screws and then undo the battery terminal bolt

I guess you'd need 2 of these if you also have an aux battery

Yes, yes you do.... Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check every wire that has one of those stupid 3m piggyback connectors on it, minimum. Only Ghetto Radio shops and Best Buy installers use that garbage.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
I only put 2 of the 4 screws back in. I'm not sure I see the point of all those screws, PITA if you ask me!

randywebb wrote:
it could take you some time to remove 4 screws

I'm toying with the idea of installing Dzus fasteners (the screws have got to go, cutoff switch or not):

Or perhaps just put a hinge on the battery cover, which should've been done in the first place.

And installing quick-release battery bolts:

Not as fast as flipping an external cutoff switch (which I don't like the appearance of... yeah, I know: ugly switch vs. burnt van), but better/quicker than dealing with screws and a wrench (which are housed in a box under the rear seat in my van).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
I'd check every wire that has one of those stupid 3m piggyback connectors on it, minimum. Only Ghetto Radio shops and Best Buy installers use that garbage.

Neil2

what is better to use to tap into an existing circuit?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Posi-Tap in the proper gauge is the only way I would consider tapping into a circuit. Even then, it is important to verify that the additional load being added can safely be handled by the host circuit without overheating anything.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. I've often used the 3M blue things to add radar detectors, which of course don't draw much current.

For an inheritor of a PO'd Van, would you also suggest removing the 3M devices and replacing with something else? or has the damage already been done by the twin barbs cutting into the wire?

I also saw that the Posi-taps are widely distributed, and can be had at Auto-Zone, etc.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
what is better to use to tap into an existing circuit?

cut and strip all three wires, slip on heat shrink, twist strands together for a good mechanical connection, solder, slide heat shrink back and heat.

14 gauge wires and less can easily be soldered with a cigarette lighter or a wooden match and rosin core solder. Try it, it works, then you can shrink with the same lighter.

I also use crimp on insulated connectors with and with out extra heat shrink.

Hell strip the wires and use a wirenut, anything is better than those things. They can cut the strands of already barely large enough wire, and also easily cause erratic "open" faults.

The back of the vanagon fuse panel has plenty of taps on it. Tapping into a circuit is not typically justifiable, or advisable.

Neil2
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IDC tap is not the cause of the problem in this case. The poor decision to add the red wire load at all is what resulted in overloading the black wire.

Mark
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and shown by the melt/burn locations. My question above is a more general one, and not even Vanagon specific.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: