Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

Hi!

I am looking for GoWesty cruise control experiences. Good & Bad. Easy to install? Definitely want to hear from anyone out there who has installed it with my specific setup:

My van
==================
'86 w/ no factory cc yet
2001 Subaru 2.5L conversion (electronic cruise, not vacuum-driven)

Other after-market cruise control options might be cheaper, but *if* they are not easy to install/configure, they'll just end up costing more in labor, time, or both, so I'm open to a higher costing solution that is quick/easy to install and maintains speed properly.
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GW kit is well-thought out and it is pretty easy to install. The cruise control unit itself is manufactured by Rostra and it's just a universal fit cruise control offered by many different vendors. What GW has done, though, is come up with nice interface hardware like the pedal switches, speed sensor and wiring harness that are made specifically for the Vanagon. They did a great job with these.

What I don't care for is the way the cruise control actuator cable connects to the gas pedal. You're basically working blind because of the way the cable has to be threaded through the plastic housing below the pedal and it's all but impossible to establish and verify the correct 1/8" of cable slack. I also found that this arrangement sometimes affected the idle by a few hundred rpms, so there was definitely some drag created by the cable being interfaced with the the throttle pedal mechanism. The cable works on a reverse principle where the cable itself is anchored rigidly and it's actually the plastic cable sheath that does the actuation.

The actual Rostra unit can also be configured to mount in the engine bay and with the Subaru engine there is a second throttle body lever for a cruise control cable. I think if I had it to do over again I would mount the cruise unit conventionally in the engine bay and just extend the wiring harness for the switches to the front. This setup would probably work really well.

I like GoWesty products so this is definitely not a post to malign them or their product. And in fairness to them, their price for the kit including the custom pedal switches and vss is very reasonable compared to the base price for the universal Rostra unit off of eBay. So it would make sense to buy their kit and then do a little bit of custom work to mount it conventionally. Or maybe try your luck with the standard configuration. I felt that with a custom housing below the throttle pedal - a sheetmetal box with a removable side for visibility, the setup could be adjusted more successfully.

It represents a good value, but just be prepared to have to do some improvising and fine tuning to get it to work flawlessly.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been very helpful! Thanks David.

D Clymer wrote:

What I don't care for is the way the cruise control actuator cable connects to the gas pedal. You're basically working blind because of the way the cable has to be threaded through the plastic housing below the pedal and it's all but impossible to establish and verify the correct 1/8" of cable slack. I also found that this arrangement sometimes affected the idle by a few hundred rpms, so there was definitely some drag created by the cable being interfaced with the the throttle pedal mechanism. The cable works on a reverse principle where the cable itself is anchored rigidly and it's actually the plastic cable sheath that does the actuation.

That's what I was afraid of with this mostly mechanical solution. If I could just have an electric signal from my speedo & cruise control button directly to my 2001 Subaru ECU saying "keep this speed!!", that would be killer.
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it with my stock column controls.
No complaints.
It is connected to an H6 conversion that also has a cable throttle.

I have augmented the cable and have it not connected to throttle cable and run to the engine compartment.
I used motorcycle cables and splicing parts.
It voids any warranty if you do this, so I am not going to post pictures or recommend doing such, unless you have the skills.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Go Westy Cruise Control Problem Reply with quote

I am having a not fun time getting this cruise control dialed in. I installed it per the instructions along with the remote switch on the steering wheel. We set it up with the 1/8" slack that they ask about but it is pretty difficult to actually figure out how to determine that. When we did that, the cruise would start to actuate, but then it didn't have enough power to pull the pedal and it would allow the van to go slower and slower until it went "click" and released. If I held my foot, just a little on the pedal that was enough to help it but that defeats the purpose.

I loosened the cable so that it had a bunch of slack. This helped as now the cruise control will pull in and hold, however if you set it at 55 mph, it will go down to 45, then back up to 48 and then stay around there. If I tried to set it at 60 mph it would either go down to 50 or just "click" and disengage when it went down too far.

This is in a 91 2wd Westy with a 2.1l waterboxer and Automatic transmission. If anyone has some more ideas of what could be going wrong I would appreciate it. It seems like the actuator just doesn't have enough pulling power to keep the pedal where it should be. The accelerator cable seems to move pretty smoothly so I don't think it is because it is binding up, etc.

If you can help me out I would appreciate it.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I commented earlier, running a dedicated cruise cable is highly recommended.
I do this for all wbx vans and converted vans.

The auto transmission needs the kickdown to work properly.
I have not attempted using the aftermarket cruise with an auto trans, nor do I plan too.

Slack in the cruise cable and slack in the throttle cable will create issues.

Alaric has posted where to have custom cables made and most motorcycle shops can do it as well.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Found the problem Reply with quote

I actually found the problem. It was in the instructions of Go Westy themselves. Near the beginning they tell you the settings for all of the dip switches of the cruise control depending on if it is going in a 2wd Manual, Automatic, or Syncro. One of the settings is how many rpms the cruise control module wants to see coming from your speed sensor. On the settings for the Automatic they tell you to set it for 2000 rpms. However right below that on the table they say that for the waterboxer engine the optimal setting is 4000 rpm. I changed the setting to 4000 rpms and now it works great! It will hold at any speed I set it at and also deal with hills, etc. I just hate that this error in the instructions cost me most of a day fiddling around with the throttle cable adjustment. Hope this helps someone else.
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.
I need to look over the directions again, dont remember that table.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I installed the Murph's Kits AudioVox unit in our '90 Westy. The current price is $180 while their price for a Rostra kit is $240.

I took the easy way out and tied the computer to the spark coil instead of using the magnet and sensor (also included). I used this setup on a Kawasaki C-10 Concours and it worked like a charm. "If it ain't broke..."

With something like 3-5K on the installation (i.e., old enough I need to look at my notes to know for sure), All I can say is it's one of those "don't leave home without it things". On the slabs, it's nice to punch in 65 (GPS speed) - set and forget. In running through towns that look to have a "speeders are our main cash crop", it's nice to drop 3rd, and lock in 24 MPH.

The installation is simple (RTFM) with zero mechanical fittings outside the engine bay. A simple 4-wire cable brought to the dash to feed the stock switches does the trick. I tried a stalk control from I forget where - utterly useless. The servo cable / throttle linkage connection is a bit of "ball chain" (think of the stuff used with some key "rings" only much heavier). The cable only pulls. Step on the gas and the chain just droops. The servo controller quits for brakes (tied to a brake light lead) and over-speed (step on the clutch and it lets go as the engine speeds up), as well simply dropping power. In short, I have never had an "oh gosh" moment with the unit.

I have a PDF written when I did the installation; I'll be happy to email a copy in PDF or DOC format.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with AudioVox or Murph's Kits save as a customer.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experience with it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6833524&highlight=#6833524
hope this helps coclimber

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the linked thread, I'm even happier I went with the AudioVox system. There's zero concern about speedo accuracy, speedo cables, etc. with the AudioVox system.

As I mentioned, there is a speed sensor in the package. The best be would be to mount the magnets on the CV joint and rig a bracket to hold the sensor close enough. I opted to by-pass that for the simple expedient of setting the unit to specified RPM's. Maintaining the set speed isn't a problem (+/- 2-3 MPH worst case? - based on GPS speed; the Westy's speedo is a work of fiction). The only down side is, since the speed setting is really an RPM setting, if a speed is selected in 2nd or 3rd (remember creeping through "speeders pay here" towns), re-engaging in 4th will produce a higher than expected road speed. With the Westy, this isn't a big problem. OTOH, with the 6-speed trany in the Concours, setting in 5th and then bumping up to 6th could interesting on occasion. [/grin]
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Go Westy Cruise epilogue Reply with quote

So I got the cruise working well in every area except for one. I can push and hold the decelerate button and that works fine, but when I try to hold the accelerate button after about a second it just makes a click noise and shuts down. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? If you set the cruise to 55mph it will stay there and go up hills, etc. keeping the speed. It just won't accelerate by holding the button down. If I push it momentarily it will accelerate a little at a time this way. So everything seems to be working but this one thing. Any ideas?
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure all of your wiring is right and there aren't any dodgy connections (loose, dirty, etc.). Past that, one off the wall thought: do you use LED brake lights? They're notorious for casing problems because they don't draw enough current to tickle things like cruise controls that "read" the brake light state. And that's why, when converting to LED turn signals, the relay needs to be changed to one rate for LED's.

Anyway, I'd walk through the wiring to be sure there isn't a short somewhere. Also, if possible, disconnect the switch assembly and check it with an ohmmeter to be sure each switch really does what it should.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its working ,but I do not see on GW's instructions where they say to set it at 4000 pulses . After trying other things I will now re set that,it functions under ideal conditions but has a bout a 5 MPH swing before locking in and dies under load.
I wonder if it would not be better to hook the Tach wire up and see what it does. Any way I am real close I decided to stop and have a nice cold Iced Tea . Comments suggestions ,fire away .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Rostra unit that, I think, GW sells, but on the AudioVox I put in our '90 Westy, the computer/controller must be powered down and back up when making changes. That is, if you change the options switches, disconnect the constant 12V source for the computer. When it powers back up, it'll re-read the switches and the changes take effect. At least that's how AudioVox handles it and it can't hurt to try it with the Rostra.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: GW Rostra cruise Reply with quote

It does say to make changes when off. There is one power lead which is ignition switched. No maintainer like a radio .
I might try it for giggles though. I changed the pulse to 4000 and it is better but still has a 5mph swing and does not like hills.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I don't know about the Rostra unit that, I think, GW sells, but on the AudioVox I put in our '90 Westy, the computer/controller must be powered down and back up when making changes. That is, if you change the options switches, disconnect the constant 12V source for the computer. When it powers back up, it'll re-read the switches and the changes take effect.

FWIW, my van has an old (circa 2000) Rostra in it and the instructions were included. Manual clearly states that if you make changes to the dip switches you must unplug the connector at the "brain" (for a minimum time; don't recall how long it is), then plug it back in for the changes to take effect... just as you describe.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 10-15 seconds will do it, but I'd let the controller sit, unpowered, long enough for a tweet or two. Smile
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you've done this and have an A/T 2.1 2WD can you tell me what your pin setting are ? I have been playing with them and have had mixed success .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So if you've done this and have an A/T 2.1 2WD can you tell me what your pin setting are ? I have been playing with them and have had mixed success .

I've been going through old loose paperwork that needs filing away and came across my cruise control notes. Took the time to digitize it all:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember that my Rostra dates back to around 2000-2003 and the GoWesty settings date back to then. Most importantly, mine is not functioning (one component broke, another broke and went missing and I haven't done any work to repair it... yet).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: