Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do with this diesel westy?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Your 36HP had a HIGHER power to weight ratio (0.0144 hp/lb) than the 1.6 non-turbo vanagon (0.0137 hp/lb)...

Oops, my hp to weight calc was for a tintop diesel vanagon. For a Westy that should be 0.0113 hp/lb...
Zebu Fellenz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 82 Vanagon with the 1.6NA diesel. I've done rings and rebuilt the head so I'm pretty confident the engine is running near its full potential.

It's slow but for me that's part of the charm, it forces you to look at driving differently when you realistically can't expect to go much over 55 on flat ground or 40 something on anything but the slightest incline.

It forced me to explore back-roads I'd probably never travel otherwise. Taking the interstate anywhere is a non starter unless you want to be a slow moving traffic hazard to everyone on the road.

I like my slow ride but I wouldn't recommend it unless your budget doesn't allow for anything better. Look for a TD or some sort and don't look back, you can still drive slow and enjoy the fuel economy but you'll also have a fighting chance of passing Grandma on her moped. Laughing

-Erik
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Your 36HP had a HIGHER power to weight ratio (0.0144 hp/lb) than the 1.6 non-turbo vanagon (0.0137 hp/lb)...

Oops, my hp to weight calc was for a tintop diesel vanagon. For a Westy that should be 0.0113 hp/lb...

Better recompute: My '57 had the Genuine Reproduction Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Hippy Van Interior (tm). Which added probably, oh, 400 lbs to it, there was a lot of 2 x 4 and plywood with slide-under-the-bed boxes that could double as jackstands, they were built! Heck, I had at least 40 lbs of green shag carpet in there until it got set on fire (note to self, no flammable finishes on vertical surfaces any more...). The van lived for a few more years until we moved from "dry" to the PNW and all that salt on the underbody got reactivated.
But I wasn't in any particular hurry then and I'm not so much now either, even without the herbal attitude adjuster.
As we said then, and still may say now, "Peace, Brother!" Smile
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recomputed... A split bus with a 36HP engine will have the same power to weight ratio as a stock 1.6 non-turbo diesel westy if you load the split bus up with an additional 690 lbs. With your 400lb interior you were still doing better...
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Recomputed... A split bus with a 36HP engine will have the same power to weight ratio as a stock 1.6 non-turbo diesel westy if you load the split bus up with an additional 690 lbs. With your 400lb interior you were still doing better...

Darn. I knew I should have kept "Ol' Swiss Cheese". Even if it didn't have any heat. It was so bad one trip over the mountains that we were keeping our feet on the headlight housing to get what we could out of that.
Torque comparisons?
pigryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu took the words right outta my mouth. Stink is still the oe 1.6na and we love the slow lane, totally different mind frame when Im behind the wheel. We put 22k on stink in the past 2 years we've owned him, he's taken us anywhere we've wanted to go. Best part is we don't travel interstates anymore at all, lots and lots of back roads and makes for the best adventures ever.
1988 Cabriolet diesel
DieselVanGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im replacing my 1.6 with one i scored from someone on thesamba for $500. And i turned down 4 other motors in the process of finding mine. I haven't had any problems finding seals or gaskets and it is a fairly easy swap(i have little to no experience with diesel engines, my dad is very handy). Im not done yet so I cant say Im totally satisfied but so far so good. And I too do not mind going slow and taking my time. I also have a grease kit to run on Veggie which is a nice alternative and easy way to save money on long trips.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going ahead with the complete 1.6 i found on CL. 600 bucks and it runs like a champ.
I too am looking into a greasecar kit.
it will take me a few months to get it all together.
Look for me in the slow lane, just follow the smell of french fries Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: