Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fouled plugs questions
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Fouled plugs questions Reply with quote

I know this topic has been covered time and again, but I have searched around and still haven't found the answer I am looking for. The problem is that my Lolette buggy keep on fouling its plugs - standard 1600 twin port engine with single Solex carb. It seems to happen when the gas level gets low, giving me the idea it could be because of rust residue in the tank? I have since installed 2 x in line fuel filters, but this is what the brand new plugs looked like the weekend after covering about 300km (around 200miles) with them installed - has a funny brown residue, and the engine is running badly - stuttering and missing etc. If I clean the plugs with a wire brush, it runs good again for a while - any suggestions? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a lot of dry black carbon on the insulator. Right off the bat I'd say the plugs are running to cold, perhaps because the engine isn't really warming up.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
It looks like a lot of dry black carbon on the insulator. Right off the bat I'd say the plugs are running to cold, perhaps because the engine isn't really warming up.

Thanks EVfun, that is something I have not thought about at all - how should one cure it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the best chart I've seen. It shows the whole range of temperature conditions:

Could you be getting a weak spark? What is the condition of the rest of your ignition system? Points or points replacement module?

Lee
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I have since replaced the plug wires, rotor, breaker points, condensor and coil with no success. Thought that it might be the choke giving problems, so I fixed the choke butterfly open permanently in the 'open' position - and so far, so good. I just can't understand why the carbon deposits on the plugs don't simply burn away?
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat risers present and functional?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's running uber-rich. What type of Solex carb do you have on there? When I upgraded from a 1600 to a 1776, my engine builder asked to see the carb (34PICT-3) so he could check the jets. He measured the jets and discovered that the main jet had been hogged out to 132.5, even though it had "127.5" stamped on it from the factory. No wonder the 1600 always seemed rich no matter what I did with the idle mixture screw! Turns out the 132.5 was perfect for the 1776. Live and learn.

It is a common practice to increase the size of the main jet and sometimes even the idle jet and accelerator pump when using a Solex 34PICT carb and a 009 distributor. Some folks even block the hole in the throttle plate in addition to all this. All of this masks the symptoms introduced by the lack of a vacuum advance on the distributor. The carb runs super rich all the time, and you get symptoms similar to what you've described. Even if you're running the proper distributor on your engine, chances are someone at some point messed with the carb.

So my suggestion is to disassemble the carb, give it a good cleaning, and measure the size of the jets with the proper gauges. Put it all back together with a rebuild kit, then set your idle mixture and speed. Also make sure the accelerator pump is delivering the correct amount of gas with each stroke. There is a spec in the service manual, but I don't know it off hand. Even if this doesn't fix the problem, at least you will know for sure what you have.

Lee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: