Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice: May 15-18, 2014
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camp&Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all, after some discussion, we've set the date for SS 14: May 15-18. Next year we are looking to coordinate/'book-end' the SS weekend with a certain SoCal event in hopes of getting a caraVAN together to head to Moab from there. Stay tuned for updates on this year's red desert van fest!
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp&Ride wrote:
OK all, after some discussion, we've set the date for SS 14: May 15-18. Next year we are looking to coordinate/'book-end' the SS weekend with a certain SoCal event in hopes of getting a caraVAN together to head to Moab from there. Stay tuned for updates on this year's red desert van fest!

Rejoice!

WOOT!

Thanks planning committee.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marked it on my calendar! Very Happy

(Also, since the date has now been set, I split 2014 off into its own topic; hope you guys don't mind.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to join you this year and perhaps even do a little write-up on Expedition Portal...unfortunately it is the same weekend as Overland Expo.

Sad
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wd welcome/capable?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the "certain Syncro event in SoCal"?
Is there a new one? Confused
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOO, thats a shame since its the same dates as Overland Expo in flagstaff, which is a must attend for me (most likely four wheel camper with motorbike for that event for me). i would have loved to see a strong syncro showing at overland expo. maybe ill show up on the 15th on my way out, just probably wont be in a the syncro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp&Ride wrote:

I'm not sure if your referring to syncrofest or not (for the record SF is not in SoCal). If so I have often thought that it would be cool to have a "syncro week" where folks could go to one event then we could have some kind of a caravan (or better yet an "overland ralley") from one event to the next. We could set up the stopping points every night ahead of time. Let's do it! I realize it might be hard for lots of people to fit an event like this into thier schedules but I think it would be lots of fun. Other than syncro safari and Vw veteran treffen I don't think there are any other "driving" events. Last summer my family went to a Vw camper magazine show in England that involved 300+ Vw campers driving about a hundred miles together and it was super fun.

I'm pretty sure the "new" SF dates will be used from here on out. We changed them because in the past SF was on the same weekend as Kelly Park (one of the best vintage Vw shows on the west coast). Many of the SF organizers, myself included wanted to attend both shows.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it should be:

-SyncroFest

then

-Syncro Solstice

then

-Overland Expo....

How cool would that be? A full month of Syncro gathering...

Smile
steewoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer! I wanted to make the trek from New England to do Solstice and Overland Expo back to back with a bunch of mountain biking in between. I'm down for making the trek just for Solstice though.

Is there a registration? Or just a show up?

Vans With At Least One Wheel In the Air
www.facebook.com/driveslowtakechances
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I will be somewhere near SoCal in early May. If I am I'll certainly show up in my Syncro.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
2wd welcome/capable?

Yep, there are lots of 2wd Vanagons and several 2wd-specific rides.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
BOOOOOO, thats a shame since its the same dates as Overland Expo in flagstaff, which is a must attend for me (most likely four wheel camper with motorbike for that event for me). i would have loved to see a strong syncro showing at overland expo. maybe ill show up on the 15th on my way out, just probably wont be in a the syncro

steewoz wrote:
Bummer! I wanted to make the trek from New England to do Solstice and Overland Expo back to back with a bunch of mountain biking in between. I'm down for making the trek just for Solstice though.

Is there a registration? Or just a show up?

If any of you would like to swing by after Overland Expo, I have the entire next week off after Solstice and could be talked into an extra night to two or??? going solo. Plus, we have Andrew who lives in Moab now and he may be able to tag along with us. There are a few others who are more or less retired or more able to take time off that may join. We could just do dispersed camping Wink
Lets not clog up this thread with the details….PM me and if it looks like a plan, we can set up a Post Solstice thread Idea I missed Moab entirely last year due to my work schedule, so, it would be great to have a couple extra days there Laughing

For the record, I am scared to do Overland Expo as I know that I will want to buy a new toy Cool
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several Syncro events, but only one Overland Expo. Flagstaff, AZ May 16-18, 2014
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't win. When they were talking the 8th, people said the 15th would be better...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
You just can't win. When they were talking the 8th, people said the 15th would be better...
You bringing your Ford Van, Dave? Surprised

WLD*WSTY wrote:
There's several Syncro events, but only one Overland Expo. Flagstaff, AZ May 16-18, 2014

Wish I could make it. The funny thing is, I tend to respond to events with lots of hype and pre-hype as it gets me excited and working on my van.

I still do not see an event created for The Overland Expo and, IIRC, last years thread was created after the fact…..This is one of the Must Do events for me, as are anything Expedition Portal puts on. I just have not got in the groove of those events as Syncro's are so often seen as not really relevant. Solstice, SyncroFest, Sdm and NWMF have changed peoples attitudes, but not all people. I love hanging out with folks who have the same aspirations of pushing their vans to their limits, yet, still making it home. I feel that if I were to go to Overland Expo, I would be flatbedding my van home Shocked as someone would say, "you can't go up that", then I would have to do something stupid and prove them wrong……
Hanging out with characters like DaveVickery in his 2wd with Peloquin and Syncro Trans and having him do everything that I do, now that is a ton of fun Cool Don't get me wrong, these events are on my list, just in good time.

I like the fact that SS has spit itself into different groups of those willing to do some damage and those not so willing. This is going to be a great Solstice this year. I can't wait. I really enjoy hanging out with a bunch of folks who see this platform as really relevant! Now if I can just get that MSDS, Inc. 3.2 Carrera engine conversion harness from BenT Syncro Evil or Very Mad
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can't compare the two events as they are completely different. Actually you would be very unlikely to damage your van at OvEx as the only off road driving there is a very easy coarse that is set up by LR and you have to drive it with one of their instructors. The focus of the event is not off road driving but rather overland travel and more specifically a showplace for vendors of overland gear and vehicles. OvEx is a very commercial for profit event. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it. I went last year and I also went the first year they had it. They offer some super cool stuff to see and do. Movies and presentations put on by lots of interesting people who have traveled all over the world. Plus all the manufactures from half million dollar uber cool camper trucks to portable fridges, etc. It's defiantly a great event to go to. There is also lots of admiration and respect for the syncro camper there. Don't worry your not going to have to "prove" yourself to the jeep crowd type of thing. For me though it's not something I feel like I have to go to every year. Like I said I think it's lots of fun to go check out all the cool trucks etc but it just does not have the same "were all just here to have a good time" feeling as an event that's just put on by people who just put on an event because it's fun. My .02
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Seth has a good description of the event.

Because of my position, I have been to Overland Expo almost every year. It is definitively more commercial but there is also a much wider variety of vehicles than a typical one-dimensional car gathering. I would be surprised if you did not find something you like there.

And I can assure you that people at OvExpo and on Expedition Portal have a great admiration for the Westfalia (Syncro and 2WD).

Just check http://www.drivenachodrive.com/, he has been a regular contributors on Expo.

sorry for the sidetrack...I really was hoping to make SS this year.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
You really can't compare the two events as they are completely different. Actually you would be very unlikely to damage your van at OvEx as the only off road driving there is a very easy coarse that is set up by LR and you have to drive it with one of their instructors.

The time I was there a couple of Syncros sneaked onto the course after the Landys were done. You should have seen the expressions when they passed the onlookers, doing as well as the Landys but at a quicker pace! Laughing
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to get to off topic, overland expo is more about education as much as it is seeing product/vehicles and talking to people who have done what everyone dreams--travel the world off the beaten path. classes in off road driving, motorbike travel, backcountry medics (#1 for me), winching and the list goes on for ever. really more classes than you could ever take in one session. totally different than just getting together and going wheelin (which im all for). ill be working OE this year, but still up in the air on which vehicle to take--four wheel camper for sure, but tag along DS motorbike, the URAL, nothing at all--to hard to decide.

i might still try to make syncro solstice on either end, just syncroless unfortunately
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: