Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody having difficulties opening doors with new seals?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Anybody having difficulties opening doors with new seals? Reply with quote

I have just finished the resto on my 64 panels and my only complaint at the moment is the difficulty opening and closing the front doors. Doors are aligned properly and were easy to close before putting the window assemblies in. And just for clarification, my 64 is an early 64 (Nov 63) so it still has ice pick from for handles. Just in case people were wondering.

When I close the doors, the flexible seal that goes around the top of the window frame seals very nicely, but so well that it takes effort to open and close the doors. When opening the doors, the latch disengages from the striker plate and pops out about half an inch and then its stuck there. I have to hold the handle open and then put my fingers in between the lip of the door and the body and physically pull it open. And it takes a good amount of pulling. Feels like the doors are suction cupped closed. Does everyone experience this with new seals? Does this wear in?

I dont have my door panels installed yet because being that the doors are hard to open....they are equally as difficult to close all the way. I have to slam them pretty hard to close all the way or they consistently just reach the first notch on the striker plate. Anyone running an accessory door pull on the inside of their bus? If the doors are this difficult, I dont want to put all the pulling pressure on that plastic handle.

Any incite is greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try some French Chalk and see if that helps.

Over time the top seal should improve.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use baby powder on new seals.

Very effective dry lube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2
SBS #00
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
I use baby powder on new seals.

Very effective dry lube.

What do you think is the main ingredient in baby powder?? Wink
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is talc.
Hydrated magnesium silicate, colloquially referred to in it's loose form as talcum powder, primary ingredient in baby powder.
Sounds like French Chalk is another name for it, but one I had not heard of. (I'll add it to my vocabulary)
Hence, I suggested baby powder.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put a length of lo-tack long lasting tape along the b-pillar where the seam is open. That is where the scraper hangs up. After a while it will get a memory and you can remove the tape.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark L. recommended corn starch to me. Works well, but you have to reapply it often.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed an around the top ww seal three weeks ago. sticky for the first 10-15 openings. it quickly lost that stickiness. a memory now.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
i installed an around the top ww seal three weeks ago. sticky for the first 10-15 openings. it quickly lost that stickiness. a memory now.

Haha lucky! Ive had them installed for over a month and still sticky as can be.

Everyone else. I greatly appreciate the suggestions. I will pick some of it up and give it a try. So you guys out it on to make them less sticky, but as it wears off, do they become sticky again?

John says he has to continually reapply it. Does everyone have to do that, or does it eventually kinda absorb into the seals?
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicon spray lube wet or dry.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Silicon spray lube wet or dry.

The one problem with any silicon spray is if you later need to paint it will cause a fish eye mess, and seems to be tenacious in sticking around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: