Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth it?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Worth it? Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a complete Thing engine he pulled from a rusty beast a while back. The engine code starts with AM. Its complete, but the exhaust is rusty. It has the skid plates, and the fan shroud without heater outlets. It hasn't been run in years, but it turns free. Are there any other Thing specific parts aside from the skid plates, exhaust, and fan shroud? I mainly want it for the shroud and skid plates. Any ballpark figure on what this is worth?
Thanks for any answers!
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures would help. Exhausts are easy to replace. Do you know if the pistons/cylinders are still good, compression would be a good thing to check.
Probably a few hundred anyway.
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
Pictures would help. Exhausts are easy to replace. Do you know if the pistons/cylinders are still good, compression would be a good thing to check.
Probably a few hundred anyway.

I don't have any pictures, but its your basic been-sitting-for-a-while engine. Complete with tin, carb, dizzy, etc. I guess I'm basically asking what the doghouse fan shroud with no heater outlets, and the skid plates are worth. Thats all I'm really after. They're all in really good shape. I see a set of skid plates on the site for $55 I believe. Is that going rate? I want the fan shroud for my bus as I still run stale air (don't want/need heater outlets) but would like to run a doghouse cooler. The skid plates/gravel gaurds (whatever you Thing folks call them) would just be for added cool factor on my engine I guess. I would assume the engine needs a rebuild, and I would probably tear it down and go through it in the future and build a long block just to have around unless people are after the AM engine cases then I'd sell it. I don't have much use for a 1600 engine for anything I own, but would be good to have around as I have friends that like to blow their engines. I didn't know if there was anything else on it that would be Thing specific I should watch out for. It has the goofy exhaust with mufflers on the sides if that helps with identifying anything?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 73 fan shroud is worth about 150.00 i'd say. skid plates about 50.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AM "Thing" case is what is known as the universal case. It was originally used on early dual port head Type 2 bus applications. This case also has the "blind flange" for an external oil filter pn# 113 115 349 There are a number of Thing only parts if the engine is all in tact. Below is a partial list

1. Stale air shroud ($150) 181 119 025 H
2. Engine skid plate (4 parts $50) 181 100 833
3. Rear engine breast plate (a original 73 item is very rare $50 to
someone who is doing an original strict stock resto) 181 119 523 H
4. 1973 exhaust deflector plates 126 119 461 and 462 ($40)
5. Original Thing carbs are Thing specific and match up with the Thing dual vaccum diz. ( pn # 043 905 205 C) The parts number for a Thing go on and on due to their production run from 68 - 80 worldwide. For a Us Thing 73/74 the part number is 181 129 027 P (I very recently sold an original 73 Thing carb and ignition set up with all parts in like new condition for just over $400)
6. Generator cover band pn# 181 903 191/181 903 197 (M63 parts $ 30)

A complete Thing engine that is rebuildable to the right person is worth $300. I currently have two sitting waiting for me to build them as 1664 or 1776 with a 110 cam that will appear externally as stock.

Last edited by kubelmann on Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a hell of a response and just what I was looking for... thanks Kubelmann.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more totally groovy Thing data check out our public web page a

http://www.eppx.com/veewiki/index.php?pagename=TheThing

On a very different issue, if you are keeping your Thing afloat on a shoestring budget, hook up with me, I have a huge supply of less than perfect thing only parts that could be brought back to life with elbow grease and love and lower prices than anywhere.

K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: