Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle/axle tube questions.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Axle/axle tube questions. Reply with quote

I just replaced the axle seals/gaskets and boots on my transmission and the axle tube flanges are leaking at the spot welds and at also at the bottom of the plate as well.

I used 4 gaskets per axle, did I somehow use too many and it's leaking because of this? I was reading that you have to set the play somehow but this was after I had already installed everything and saw it leaking. I just put on the same number of gaskets I took off. When I took everything apart somebody has used quite a bit of RTV to seal everything. What is the correct way to determine the number of gaskets needed?

Since the spot welds are leaking on both axles, I was just going to replace the entire tube with and earlier one piece axle tube. Will there be any problems putting an early tube on a 68?

Also, I noticed that the gasket kit I bought didn't have the small o-ring for the later axle tube flanges. If I use my earlier tubes I don't need that, correct?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: