Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping to Hawaii?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Shipping to Hawaii? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have recently relocated to Oahu, and am hoping to get my Westfalia van out here. I would probably drive it to California and ship it from there. Have any of you shipped a van to Hawaii? Did you have any problems, and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in mililani. I haven't shipped but it happens all the time, think it's about $1500-2000.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear. I read the very weird claim that they don't accept campers, and I was worried that the height would be a problem.

I know that the cost will be high, but damn it will be worth it to have the van here!
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbeefy -

Also, what's the camping situation? I've seen pickup trucks and tents on the beach next to the kalanianaole highway, and I have seen old vans at waikiki parked for a very long time. Is this kind of camping, if not legal, tolerated?

I am a graduate student with spotty funding, and it would especially motivated me to move the van here if I could spend some time living in it!
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive around to the less touristy beaches and you'll see people camping. You can get a free pass and camp up at Peacock Flats too. I haven't done any myself, but theres others on here that have.

Check out the Oahu GTG/meetup/polo thread for some other vanagon owners on island.

Here ya go....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536466&highlight=oahu

2006 Subbie OBXT

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that Matson is the most common car shipper to HI. I assume it's a Ro-Ro (roll on roll off) service so long as the vehicle is operational.

Please post contact info and price when you get a quote.
DontBeAfraid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on Matson. They are the only option for shipping to Hawaii. Everything going on or off the island goes through them, unless by plane. I shipped my van from Hawaii, where I bought it, last September. It was right around $1000 shipped from port to port Honolulu to Oakland.
What and where are you studying for your master's?
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Shipping to Hawaii? Reply with quote

Check out Pasha. I just used them this year to ship a couple of motorcycles from San Diego and was happy with their service and pricing. They mostly ship cars from the mainland and Hawaii. I believe that you can drop the car off in either La or San Diego. Hope that helps and welcome to the islands mon!
Aloha, Ron
Very Happy Very Happy Please don't hate me cause I drive a eurovan Very Happy Very Happy
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, ya'll!

It may be awhile before I get a quote: My plan is to go back to Florida this summer and drive the van to California. I will post again when the time approaches.

DontBeAfraid: I'm a philosophy PhD student at UH Manoa. We have a great department, but not a lot of money. If I could live in the van for a year - this has been on my mind - it might be possible for me to escape debt!
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to the gym/bathroom facilities it should be pretty easy.

2006 Subbie OBXT

Alaska-Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping to and from Hawaii may be similar to Alaska.

Vehicle / cargo rates from Alaska to Seattle are quite a bit less due to the shippers wanting to fill empty containers.

I suspect the same applies to Hawaii. Rates to the islands will be 1/3 to twice as high due to space being at a premium.

Dealing directly with the shipping company may be quite a bit less than going through a "broker".

Your mileage may vary.

But I'd rather have a split bus. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vehicle / cargo rates from Alaska to Seattle are quite a bit less due to the shippers wanting to fill empty containers.

My friend moved to Hawaii about 5 years ago and had both of the family vehicles and belongings shipped in a container. Yes they are trying to clear up space but be aware of where in the container your things are and the shipping schedule for the container. My friends waited for over a month to get their things off the container.... YMMV

As far as camping.... On the Big Island allegedly if you have a pole in the water to fish you can camp anywhere, even private property. (Some strange grandfathered rule....). When I was there visiting, people were camped out fishing in front of the home we were staying at in Kona.

Regardless, good luck! I would have loved to have had my Westy and not my buddies CJ-5 as we toured the island....
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a collector car (not the Westy) shipped from Maui to Long Beach by Matson. I think they are the one and only so if someone else offers a service it may be brokered to Matson.

They were very helpful with just a phone call and kept me up-to-date throughout. As I recall they were able to tell me exactly how much it would cost with the first phone call.

For my car -- they put it in a container, then the container went on a barge which was then towed to Oahu to be loaded on a ship. I suspect this is the drill for getting a vehicle to/from any island other than Oahu. The whole thing was very quick and (I thought) quite reasonable.
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha,
Just a heads up here, I've lived here in Hawaii for 32 years and yes there is more than one shipper for shipping cars to the islands. I'm not sure which one has the lowest prices but Pasha most definitely ships cars to Hawaii via their own ships. Make sure that you check Pasha & Matson rates before booking a shipment!
Cheers, Ron
Cool Cool Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan Cool Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: