Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BFY Obsolete parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiki1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'55oval wrote:
Any word on these crooks?? Are they on the chain gang yet??
steveo

Has anyone ever found or heard from Darren, again???
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at a car that was "restored" by BFY and my customers daughter bought it. A potentially nice 60 European rag top ,complete with Semaphores ,locking column and a nice period parcel tray .
The signals do not work, the horn button is on the dash ,there are no markers lights in the in the headlights and the horn holes and signal hole were just filled with Bondo .
I can go on ,but as this thread tells ,his lasting legacy is not great . I will probably spend about 20 hours getting things working just so it is safe and functional .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JulianH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually BFY did very nice restoration work, the problem was customers saying who said their cars were restored by them when infact the shop may have only done some service work to it. The legacy was customer orders not being fulfilled, nothing to do with restorations which the company had stopped doing years before it's demise.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I was looking for the BFY Obsolete website today without any luck. Then I spotted this thread.

I didn't know they had fallen apart and closed their doors. I used to shop there frequently back in the '80's and '90's when things were great.

I remember going to the store back in 2006 through 2008 and they never seemed to have anything I needed in stock and never had an idea when the item would be in stock.

I gave up attempting to buy from BFY after they moved to the new location.

A sad ending to a once great vendor.
JulianH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefladge wrote:
Wow! I was looking for the BFY Obsolete website today without any luck. Then I spotted this thread.

I didn't know they had fallen apart and closed their doors. I used to shop there frequently back in the '80's and '90's when things were great.

I remember going to the store back in 2006 through 2008 and they never seemed to have anything I needed in stock and never had an idea when the item would be in stock.

I gave up attempting to buy from BFY after they moved to the new location.

A sad ending to a once great vendor.

2008 is when it started going off the rails, finally ending towards the end of 2009.
rooket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to be thinking about restoration parts and went looking at a few shops online tonight, starting with this one.

All I can tell you guys is, besides that I didn't get scammed by him, is that back in oh, I think it was maybe 2004 or 2005, I could tell this kid was crooked. I talked to him on the phone and he had a huge attitude problem.

Rich always was, still is, great. I thought he owned the business when I went in there (?) in 1994-1995 (again I can't remember which year it was exactly for when I purchased stuff in that store). The store was cool back then and I think they had a split window VW on display.

I helped my body shop source parts when I needed them for my car. Darren was really snyde with me on the phone when I told him that I like my car and wanted to get it back on the road. I have no respect for this man. I stopped purchasing there and it looks like my gut instinct paid off.

Hopefully the rest of these guys get their money back. But when I do business with people, any kind of business, especially purchasing auto parts primarily for restoration.. if I get rubbed the wrong way, guess whose money it is? It looks better sitting in my bank than going to some creep.

As it rests, I got my car out of the body shop and they didn't really buy anything at all from him as far as I remember. They were going to buy the rear apron but they were able to repair my factory one. Much of the rest of the parts came from Buggy House in Hayward which is still run by very good people and the original owner is still there in the shop. That place never gave me a single problem at all and their staff are just as cool to talk to on the phone as they are in person. I can't say that of Dudley.

And I agree, a sad ending to a once great vendor. However it isn't the mid 1990s any more either. That was when things were really happening. And I have concluded that was, in large part, due to the fact that they still manufactured the 1964 style VW in Brazil until 1996 so that is why I was able to find so many really good parts for my car. Although, over the years, I replaced most of them with German stuff such as Hella etc. I found good deals on stuff. As matter of fact, when I was going through this ordeal with BFY I managed to source NOS tail lights for my beetle online just out of luck. They are still on the car, they still look as brand new as when I pulled them out of the box. Cost me $15 plus a couple bucks shipped, once they told me the price I just LEAPED on that. Genuine OE Hella parts. It was some old auto repair shop I happened across on a simple google search at the time.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these still good?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Jump to:
Page 40 of 40

Jump to: