Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no end play?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: no end play? Reply with quote

im building my first vw engine....1835cc forged crank stock rods
120 cam

20 over.

engine spins freely but has no endplay.

is this normal? all parts are new exept the rods. what do i do if theres no endplay?
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are checking endplay with just the crank and bearings? Take the camshaft out too. You should be getting A LOT of play with no flywheel and 0.040-0.050" with the flywheel.
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
You are checking endplay with just the crank and bearings? Take the camshaft out too. You should be getting A LOT of play with no flywheel and 0.040-0.050" with the flywheel.
well if id doesnt have any endplay now how will it have any endplay with the flywheel on?
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't. I didn't say that very clearly. You will have less endplay with the flywheel on than with the flywheel off. It will be 0.040-0.050" WITH the flywheel, but much greater than that WITHOUT the flywheel. I think I had 1/8" with the flywheel off. Are you sure something isn't interfering and that the bearings all seated in the journals fully?
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
It doesn't. I didn't say that very clearly. You will have less endplay with the flywheel on than with the flywheel off. It will be 0.040-0.050" WITH the flywheel, but much greater than that WITHOUT the flywheel. I think I had 1/8" with the flywheel off. Are you sure something isn't interfering and that the bearings all seated in the journals fully?
yeah thats what i though...right now without the flywheel it has 0 endplay but spins freely...i made sure the bearings were in right and torqued it down to spec. the block seals perfectly i dont see how a bearing could be in wrong. also when i layed the crank down on the left half once i got it seated right it spun freely...but had no endplay. even with no cam or having the case closed...maybe theres a defect somewhere?
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas anyone? i tried searhing couldnt find an answer...
edmond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that the counterweights on the crank are not interfering with the case main bearing webs, its a common problem and this will cause the no endplay problem
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the radius on the main bearing journal isn't too long and riding into the chamfer on the backside of the bearing. If the radius is too long, it can act like a wedge into that bearing. I've not witnessed it, but I've certainly read about problems with machining on new cranks. The cure seems to be to make the chamfer on backside of the #1 (flywheel) bearing deeper to clear the radius.

edit: and pull that distributor back out before you re-measure. Very Happy
alextrox69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ill be looking into the case this coming weekend
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What crank do you have i bet it is hitting the center web if it is an aftermarket scat cw! If so you need to have the case clearenced or put in another crank. Keep us posted! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: I To Have No End Play Reply with quote

Before the flywheel is installed .030" end play. Install the flywheel no end play. I wonder if the counterbore in the flywheel is to deep? I didn't think about the counter weights on the crankshaft. Wendt together easy and still spins with the flywheel installed and 0 end play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any shims installed? or is the measurment with the flywheel against the thrust bearing?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before the flywheel is installed .030" end play. Install the flywheel no end play

I ran into that with an aftermarket flywheel having a different radius which was pushing on the seal. I had to seat the seal right to the bottom to get my end play back.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you measuring end play? .004" is not much movement
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Amazing Today I Discovered What Looks to Be The Problem Reply with quote

My crankshaft was a modified German counterweighted 69 mm crankshaft. There is a slight difference between years in the cranks. The dowel pin end has a slight difference in diameters in the area of the O ring seals on the flywheel maybe .010". I went to Brother's VW Machine shop and they suggested I try a modified flywheel that has the O ring groove bored out. The depth of the counter bore where the end of the crankshaft and the flywheel meet is a standard .375". I measured a few flywheels and they were all the same. I installed the modified flywheel on my engine and with no shims got .030" of end play with the crankshaft pulley installed. I installed (2) .010" shims and got .014" end play. I installed (3) .010" shims and have .004" end play after torquing to 225 foot pounds. Brothers say this is to tight for the end play and it should be .005" end play. Brothers will bore my flywheel to where it will still have the O ring seal and I will have .005" end play. They are going to remove .001" to get the correct end play with a stack of .030" shims. If this had not worked I would have had to disassemble the engine to see if the counter weights were rubbing the bearing supports. Eeek. Hope this helps someone else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: