Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Having a Holiday in Europe with a Rental Westy?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. MootPoint and I were in Scotland a year ago and saw a number of retro-rental campers. I took notes. A couple of the agencies were

http://www.vwcamperrentals.co.uk/index.htm

http://solwaybeetles.co.uk/11001.html

http://www.scotlandbycamper.com/

And for a non-retro Eurovan:
http://www.kirarentals.co.uk/

We also saw a left-hand-drive 40+foot motorhome on the Isle of Skye. They must have been nuts.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Coastal BC is getting really wet, and spring is a long way off--we're not even officially into winter yet!

Has anybody, North America-side, or otherwise, had any experience with either of these companies? Each of them is offering a very good rate, and we're considering a 6- to 8-week ramble in southwestern Europe in February and March:

http://www.tour-europe.de/index.htm
This one would mean driving south from Germany to the sunny spots.

http://vw-t3-campers-rental-hire-malaga-spain.com/vw_campers_hire_rental_malaga_spain_loli.htm
These guys are based down in Spain, so a shorter trip would give about the same results.

350-400 Euros a week; about the same cost as cheap hotels plus some car rental plus busing--plus all the benefits of being in a Westy!

---
Kathy

(I know that it would likely be cheaper to buy one and then sell it, but not really worth it for this length of time when you consider finding a reliable one, etc.)
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more islander... wrote:
http://www.tour-europe.de/index.htm
This one would mean driving south from Germany to the sunny spots.[/quote

http://vw-t3-campers-rental-hire-malaga-spain.com/vw_campers_hire_rental_malaga_spain_loli.htm
These guys are based down in Spain, so a shorter trip would give about the same results.

Mmm. I'd say the German site was nearer the interesting bits of southern Europe than Malaga. Southern Spain & Portugal are not (with a few very notable exceptions) culturally interesting. Unless, of course, you like golf.

Quote:
350-400 Euros a week; about the same cost as cheap hotels plus some car rental plus busing--plus all the benefits of being in a Westy!

Now add on ~€8/USGallon for fuel, and around €15/night camping (a lot of countries ban wild camping, even before you get into your preferences).

Have a look at our blog - www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com (other blogs are, of course, available) - for some thoughts & descriptions of locations. We didn't do southern Iberia, partly because we've done some of the interesting bits (Alhambra, Seville, Cordoba) before, partly because there are - frankly - far better places to be.

Oh, and I dunno what you're expecting from Feb/Mar weather in Southern Europe, but Florida it definitely ain't going to be. Most campsites don't open until April or May. The ACSI discount book will be your friend.

BTW - no experience of either of those companies, but as for the Germans...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NICE presentation...!
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have recent experience with IdeaMerge.com?

I just used IdeaMerge.com to rent a TDI T5 this July out of Mannheim, Germany. Our plan is to spend 2 weeks in France. Renting in France for the same thing had a higher cost and since we have friends in Germany, this works out. Not all the rental depots have the T5 California camper van (aka the newer Eurovan), but the main sites do. We originally wanted to rent a Vanagon Westy but IdeaMerge made it super easy to find and reserve the T5. We are looking forward to our trip this summer and renting a VW camper van (whatever flavor) will make it that much better.

The whole reservation process with IdeaMerge seemed too easy. I'm wondering if I should contact McRent directly to confirm?

scobax wrote:
Here's a plug- Go to www.ideamerge.com .

(insert cheesy anouncer voice here)
This is a US company, and you will pay in US dollars, so the exchange rate will be working in your favor. IdeaMerge represents several RV rental companies in Europe to US customers, and passes on discounted rates that you wont get elsewhere. They have a full range of vehicles from the Eurovan up to the gigantic motorhomes.

You can also lease a car in Europe with them. This is way better than renting, if the duration is long enough.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
I just used IdeaMerge.com to rent a TDI T5 this July out of Mannheim, Germany.

Sweet. I was born in Ludwigshafen which is just on the other side of the Rhine from Mannheim. Also went back to live near there for a few years in '03. Not sure how much time you plan to spend there and what your route to France will be but let me know if you want any tips. If you haven't been there before some of my tips can save you a bunch of money too Cool

BTW: You are way better off with a TDI T5. I would only rent a newer Motorhome in Germany as they are way ahead of the North American market in function and design. Also fuel is expensive over there and Diesel is a good bit cheaper.

Not sure if your renting from McRent or another place but they usually have bigger motorhomes than the T5 for the same or not much more money, some are even less. They are way more comfortable and have similar fuel consumption. The only reason I see to go for a smaller vehicle in Europe is to make getting around easier if your not comfortable driving in very tight areas.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought, maybe the T5 isn't a bad move since it will make parking easier and allow you the use of parkades.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canasync wrote:
Just another thought, maybe the T5 isn't a bad move since it will make parking easier and allow you the use of parkades.

Thanks Canasync. I will PM you for some details.

This was my thinking as well. Combined with the general allure of a Westy, we are much more excited to stay with our current lifestyle. I'm just not into anything bigger and figured I will meet people better the smaller we are. I also was inspired by Jed The Spread's Campervan Culcha' videos.

Still looking for any IdeaMerge feedback. As in, did the rental depot company, in my case McRent, actually know who you were when you showed up and were they expecting you and have the deposit on record?
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would email McRent directly and ask for a confirmation of your booking. Its pretty easy getting around in Germany if you know English and the people at the rental agency are sure to be able to communicate with you.

Getting around in France with anything but French can be challenging but the people are quite helpful, at least in the smaller towns.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canasync wrote:

Getting around in France with anything but French can be challenging but the people are quite helpful, at least in the smaller towns.

Mais oui! This was our experience 20 years ago on a bike tour through central France. I will be brushing up on my French for this trip and re-training my ear for the basics. We loved the people in the small villages. We're hoping the Campervan gets us close to that experience again, although somewhat different.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camping in France is second to none. All of the little villages have campgrounds, folks are tres friendly & English is much more widely spoken than it used to be, though a little French opens lots of doors. You'll love it.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see the UK then contact Les at the Bulli Barn in Colchester. http://www.vwbullibarn.co.uk
He rents vanagon and bay westys. He's also a jolly good chap.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
If you want to see the UK then contact Les at the Bulli Barn in Colchester. http://www.vwbullibarn.co.uk
He rents vanagon and bay westys. He's also a jolly good chap.

It looks like he's only got the two Bay Westies for rent.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a westy bnb in Spain.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/243100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: