Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just imported 61 split to Australia and need some advice
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Just imported 61 split to Australia and need some advice Reply with quote

Hi fellow vee dubbers. I have just received my 61 splitty kombi from the states and can not stop starring at it. I'm very happy with the purchase however it needs a bit of work before being street legal in Australia. I need to purchase some seat belts and would like some rear seats installed. I will be more than happy to purchase the seats from the the states if that is a better option. I'm new to the vw seen however am looking forward to the journey.
blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

where in australia are you?

also in Australia if its made before 67/68 it doesn't need seat belts. Not saying you should but you don't have to straight away.

Put some photos out. these threads are nothing with out photos haha

Cheers
mactraveler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your first split window bus. I went to New Zealand a few years ago and there was a shop in Rotorua on the North island. Maybe you could try looking him up. He had a lot of parts and was a pretty friendly chap. The seats im afraid are going to be hard to find especially the middle seat. Just curious on how the whole shipping thing went. My wife and I considered moving to OZ but am worried about the cost of shipping my bus. What were the costs involved if you don't mind me asking?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a local supplier, but front seat belt install is an easy adaptation. Walk through or bench?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D704GY
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in '61 seatbelts were a option so if it didn't originally come with them it won't have any of the mounting to install them with and you would have to make some

is it a kombi or a standard?
kombi are pretty much panels with windows and rear seat were a option as were rear panels and headliner which was just paneling also
standards have rear seats and headliners and nicer panels in the rear

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Milad

Not sure if you bought a LHD bus or a RHD bus from the US? This would have a bearing of the type of rear seats you are looking as the middle seat is LHD or RHD specific. Also before shopping for seat make sure that you have the corresponding brackets on the floor of the bus to accept the "T" shaped bolts which secure the seat (ditto too on the "T " bolts )

Not sure what your budget is but splitty seats tend to command $$$ If you are not a stickler for detail and "correctness" bay window seats can be bought at a fraction of the price and will typically serve the same function. You might even be able to find a set in Oz and save yourself a lot of money and headaches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont have seatbelt mount
If you fit them it depends what your state regs are and you will probably need them to meet Australian standards, they will have to have the Aus code on them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: